Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #71
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,747 Times in 2,935 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
And Whiz probably wouldn't want to work under Tomlin.
good point...
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #72
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Another example of Tomlin's coaching genius.
In a big spot he usually makes the wrong decision.
His persona inflates his prowess as a coach.
I believe you are right. Tomlin means well by his decision making but he has failed in not developing leadership and/or the level of leadership on the team in the preseason.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #73
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion! Spear Toss Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtainCall View Post
I'm from Newport News, Va, where Tomlin is from. Being a lifelong Steelers fan; I had my reservations about him being named head coach. The SB win relieved some of them. But now here we are. The press conferences after the games, make me sick. He acts like a guy who is trying to show the world how intelligent he is, and he never really says anything relavent about the game . He acts like it's no big deal when we lose;"we'll go back to work next week"; I've heard that till I'm sick of it.
The funny part is that he likes to use what he thinks are big words, but he uses them incorrectly. Let's acknowledge that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtainCall View Post
I
My other BIG observation is; when Ben came into the league, before his success, he was more disaplined, and played a much more fundamental game. I understand that he has dealt with terrible blocking much of the time, and he has made some great plays for us by extending the plays when it was needed, but I think he is listening to the hype too much now, about how he is such a play maker, ect. He has gotten completely away from any fundamental football, and our offense looks like a sandlot offense.

I too think Tomlin "Switzered" in, and I really don't forsee any change next year. I think he simply doesn't get it. We need a Belicheck type guy that says either you make the plays or I'll get someone who will. Our team is SOFT. I can tell what every play is going to be before it's ran. Haley is not the answer either. I hope he moves on. All the BA haters have egg on their faces now too. I beg the Rooney's to make some drastic changes, and bring "STEELER" football back!
So Haley earned a C- for the season, but that doesn't change the fact that Arians flunked out repeatedly.

Anyway, I think Tomlin is maybe a C coach who's surrounded by a great infrastructure. The Steelers could do better, but it's not going to happen. Tomlin will be here for awhile, and that's the way it is. Because the standard is the standard, lets acknowledge that.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
therocksteeler (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #74
SteelCurtainCall
Water Boy

Member Number: 19966

I'm certainly not advocating bringing BA back; just saying that even under him, we did much better than this debacle this season. I don't have the answers; I'm just posting my observations. We are an elite organization, and I just want to see us perform that way. Matbe follow the Raiders motto "commitment to excellence". We used to own the AFC North, and it's time to reclaim our throne, no matter how good the Raven's play each year. It's funnt DL got embarrassed early in the season, and he sat down, and orchastrated a plan that brought our D back up to standard. Now I know we still had some bad D games, but he made changes that brought results. This O seems to be stuck in the same rut year after year.
SteelCurtainCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #75
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i'd also like to hear something "new" from Tomlin.

Those post-game interviews and press conferences and seemingly all exactly the same - so much so that fans (on boards like these) are starting to quote them word-for-word and make jokes.
The "standard", "we accept responsibility", etc, etc.

And i agree - he never says much relevant to the game. Can we get something different, please?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #76
Terrapin
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15484

As fans, we are a spoiled bunch. Superbowl or bust every year, which is completely unrealistic.

However, Tomlin's teams have an alarming trend of playing down to their competition. I wouldn't care if this was an 8-8 team, with 7 of those losses being to legitimate teams. But consistently losing to scrubs like Tennessee, Oakland, SD, etc is absolutely unacceptable. Every elite team tends to get upset badly every year (NE lost to Arizona this year). But, it usually only happens once, not 3 or 4 times a season.

But the fact is, the blame doesn't lie with Tomlin. He is not a very good coach. Why would anyone think he would be? What was his pedigree coming in? 1 year as DC of a mediocre Minnesota defense? No, he got hired because he's black, and Rooney had to abide by his own stupid rule. The person that needs to be blamed for Tomlin, the underachieving seasons, the off the field issues, the horrendous upsets, etc are the Rooneys.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #77
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Member Number: 24665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
As fans, we are a spoiled bunch. Superbowl or bust every year, which is completely unrealistic.

However, Tomlin's teams have an alarming trend of playing down to their competition. I wouldn't care if this was an 8-8 team, with 7 of those losses being to legitimate teams. But consistently losing to scrubs like Tennessee, Oakland, SD, etc is absolutely unacceptable. Every elite team tends to get upset badly every year (NE lost to Arizona this year). But, it usually only happens once, not 3 or 4 times a season.

But the fact is, the blame doesn't lie with Tomlin. He is not a very good coach. Why would anyone think he would be? What was his pedigree coming in? 1 year as DC of a mediocre Minnesota defense? No, he got hired because he's black, and Rooney had to abide by his own stupid rule. The person that needs to be blamed for Tomlin, the underachieving seasons, the off the field issues, the horrendous upsets, etc are the Rooneys.
I really take issue with you and the rest who feel the need to make it a racial thing with Tomlin. "Stupid rule"? What, are you a racist? I suspect that people such a yourself have never really been behind Tomlin and are trying to use this season as an excuse to discredit him. The ideathat he's not a good coach or that he's incompetent is downright silly. The team is 62-33 under is watch with 2 SB appearances. You don't have that kind of resume if your team is always underachieving or playing down to its competition. Obviously this wasn't Tomlin's best season and he has made some bad in-game decisions, but there's no need to jump out of the window. Tomlin wasn't calling or designing the plays on offense, Tomlin didn't routinely drop passes, he didn't routinely fumble the ball, he didn't injure Ben, he didn't throw costly picks the last 2 games. The reality is that this team was ravaged by injuries and the offensive side of the team underachieved. There's enough blame to spread around to both coaches and players. Everyone has to look at each other and themselves to find the solutions.

Again, as a black diehard Steelers fan I take offense to you people who want to make it a racial issue concerning Tomlin. The irony here is that these kind of racist attitudes towards blacks coaches is why the Rooney rule was created in the 1st place.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #78
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird07141970 View Post
with 4 seconds left , what good are two time outs going to do for you?
You sweat the kicker with both of them ,. who is paying you tomlin ? you suck you stupid monkey and you should be fired today .Bring Cower back he has balls to cover his decisions . Have a poor life
I'm critical of Mike Tomlin and the decision he has made this year as well. And I'm on record as saying his clock management skills were awful this year, he should and probably will be reprimanded for his actions. He will not be fired for having a bad season. However, you sir/mam are just completely ignorant! Comments like this, calling this man a Monkey is just uncalled for. Ignorant individuals like yourself is the main reason our country is in the current mess that it is in.

Yes, Tomlin did a poor job as a H.C. this year, his teams were not mentally prepared at all. Stop it with the racial remarks, no need for it. Where is the moderator?
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steel95 For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #79
Terrapin
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15484

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd&Greene View Post
I really take issue with you and the rest who feel the need to make it a racial thing with Tomlin. "Stupid rule"? What, are you a racist? I suspect that people such a yourself have never really been behind Tomlin and are trying to use this season as an excuse to discredit him. The ideathat he's not a good coach or that he's incompetent is downright silly. The team is 62-33 under is watch with 2 SB appearances. You don't have that kind of resume if your team is always underachieving or playing down to its competition. Obviously this wasn't Tomlin's best season and he has made some bad in-game decisions, but there's no need to jump out of the window. Tomlin wasn't calling or designing the plays on offense, Tomlin didn't routinely drop passes, he didn't routinely fumble the ball, he didn't injure Ben, he didn't throw costly picks the last 2 games. The reality is that this team was ravaged by injuries and the offensive side of the team underachieved. There's enough blame to spread around to both coaches and players. Everyone has to look at each other and themselves to find the solutions.

Again, as a black diehard Steelers fan I take offense to you people who want to make it a racial issue concerning Tomlin. The irony here is that these kind of racist attitudes towards blacks coaches is why the Rooney rule was created in the 1st place.
I take issue with the fact that you think blacks can't achieve things on their merit, thus needing affirmative action bullshit in order to compete. Who's the racist?

So again I'll ask, what credentials did Tomlin have that warranted a head coaching opportunity with possibly the best franchise in professional sports? Was he a succesful college coach? Was he a successful pro coach? Was he a seasoned coordinator, who's defense dominated? I really want to hear your explanation of this.

Since you are incapable of admitting it, I'll explain it to you. He was a defensive backs coach, then a DC for 1 year. He has had success as a head coach, largely due to walking into a team stocked with talent, including a franchise QB and the best D in the league. He has continually made coaching blunders that most pee wee coaches wouldn't make (not going for 2, trying FGs your kicker is incapable of making, misuse of TOs, leaving injured players in the game, etc, etc). His teams are very undisciplined, both on and off the field. And he has shown a tendency to play favorites, which will evenutally destroy a locker room.

Again, I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. But the team has way too much talent to be losing games to the likes of Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, etc. All facets of this team are wildly inconsistent. That is a reflection of the coach.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terrapin For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #80
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,056 Times in 5,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post

1. Tomlin had the #1 defense win Minnesota. He was the coach of the secondary that won the SuperBowl for Tampa Bay. He was one of the top candidates out there.

2. There are other minorities other than "black."

2-a. Ron Rivera also interviewed... and... he was (& still is) a minority.

2-b. If what you're saying is true, then they hired Tomlin because he was an unqualified minority... over another minority.

3. What's wrong with being "black"? Please, explain. Because, you are sounding reeeeally bad right now.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (12-24-2012)