Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #81
casteeler
Assistant Coach
 
casteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Heinz field West
Posts: 1,376
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15446
Thanks: 174
Thanked 212 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd&Greene View Post
I really take issue with you and the rest who feel the need to make it a racial thing with Tomlin. "Stupid rule"? What, are you a racist? I suspect that people such a yourself have never really been behind Tomlin and are trying to use this season as an excuse to discredit him. The ideathat he's not a good coach or that he's incompetent is downright silly. The team is 62-33 under is watch with 2 SB appearances. You don't have that kind of resume if your team is always underachieving or playing down to its competition. Obviously this wasn't Tomlin's best season and he has made some bad in-game decisions, but there's no need to jump out of the window. Tomlin wasn't calling or designing the plays on offense, Tomlin didn't routinely drop passes, he didn't routinely fumble the ball, he didn't injure Ben, he didn't throw costly picks the last 2 games. The reality is that this team was ravaged by injuries and the offensive side of the team underachieved. There's enough blame to spread around to both coaches and players. Everyone has to look at each other and themselves to find the solutions.

Again, as a black diehard Steelers fan I take offense to you people who want to make it a racial issue concerning Tomlin. The irony here is that these kind of racist attitudes towards blacks coaches is why the Rooney rule was created in the 1st place.
The color of the coaches skin DOES NOT matter. He was handed a SB quality team and he has coached it into a JOKE. The team doesn't respect the guy. He cannot prepare the team no matter who the opponent is. Tomlin watched the Bengals miss a FG a few plays earlier and sent Suisham (who is an exellent kicker) to kick from the same distance. When a coach makes obviously stupid calls,people get upset. Tomlin can pack his bags and coach elsewhere as far as I'm concerned due to his coaching not ethnicity
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #82
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer
 
MaidenIndiana's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: new castle, indiana
Posts: 210
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10557
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
My Mood: Twisted
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Has Tomlin made bad decisions? Of course he has. I'd like for all of you "fire Tomlin" posters to name me one HC who hasn't made bad decisions? Hell the great Belidick went for it on 4th down against the Colts a couple os seasons ago from his own 20 yard line. They didn't make it and lost. For those of you wanting the great Whiz back, well you're in luck because his ass is gonna be fired. And I'm pretty sure that these same posters loved Tomlin after we he beat Whiz in the SB, probably even made statements about how the Rooney's made the right choice for HC. Man up, we had a bad year. IT HAPPENS!!! You're supposed to be Steelers fans but you come off as more fair-weathered fans than anything else
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaidenIndiana For This Useful Post:
SH-Rock (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #83
Terrapin
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 132
Member Number: 15484
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
1. Tomlin had the #1 defense win Minnesota. He was the coach of the secondary that won the SuperBowl for Tampa Bay. He was one of the top candidates out there.

2. There are other minorities other than "black."

2-a. Ron Rivera also interviewed... and... he was (& still is) a minority.

2-b. If what you're saying is true, then they hired Tomlin because he was an unqualified minority... over another minority.

3. What's wrong with being "black"? Please, explain. Because, you are sounding reeeeally bad right now.
1. Actually, the Vikings were ranked 6th that year. 1st against the rush, and dead last against the pass.

2. You'd have to ask Rooney why he chose Tomlin over Rivera, or anyone else for that matter.

3. I didn't say anything is wrong with being black did I? I said THIS SPECIFIC coach was unqualified to be the head coach of THIS team. Just because you accept mediocrity in the name of political correctness doesn't mean everyone does.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #84
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Member Number: 24665
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I take issue with the fact that you think blacks can't achieve things on their merit, thus needing affirmative action bullshit in order to compete. Who's the racist?

So again I'll ask, what credentials did Tomlin have that warranted a head coaching opportunity with possibly the best franchise in professional sports? Was he a succesful college coach? Was he a successful pro coach? Was he a seasoned coordinator, who's defense dominated? I really want to hear your explanation of this.

Since you are incapable of admitting it, I'll explain it to you. He was a defensive backs coach, then a DC for 1 year. He has had success as a head coach, largely due to walking into a team stocked with talent, including a franchise QB and the best D in the league. He has continually made coaching blunders that most pee wee coaches wouldn't make (not going for 2, trying FGs your kicker is incapable of making, misuse of TOs, leaving injured players in the game, etc, etc). His teams are very undisciplined, both on and off the field. And he has shown a tendency to play favorites, which will evenutally destroy a locker room.

Again, I'm not saying he's a terrible coach. But the team has way too much talent to be losing games to the likes of Tim Tebow, Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, etc. All facets of this team are wildly inconsistent. That is a reflection of the coach.
Obviously you don't read and comprehend too well. I never said that black people can't achieve on their own merit. I said that racist attitudes such as yours are why the Rooney rule was instituted in the 1st place. The Rooney rule was created to assure that blacks are at least given an opportunity to interview for HC jobs because they were constantly denied those opportunities previously.

I'm not going to justify Tomlin's hire to you. His qualifications/resume is public record. If you disagree that Tomlin was qualified to be hired as coach then put that in a letter and mail it to Rooney to see if he cares. The bottom line is that Tomlin was hired 6 years ago and has since led the team to a 62-33 record with 2SB appearances and 1 title. The hire has been more than justified even if ignoramouses don't agree. Again, I suspect that people like have always had an agenda against Tomlin and you always will.

As far as your criticisms of Tomlin, I agree with some of them. The problem is that you don't give credit where it's due. Your criticisms of Tomlin don't hold weight if you can't give him the credit that's due. You dismiss any success the team has had under his watch because he supposedly inherited a talented team even though the same team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there. This current team illustrates that it takes more than talent to win in the NFL. You can't whine about and blame Tomlin for this year's team losing to less talented terrible teams when you gave him no credit for how he stepped in and kept the ship steady after Cowher stepped down. The truth is that Tomlin has shown that he's a good coach but this year has been a big disappointment. He has made some bad decisions throughout the season and he's going to have to do a better job. All of that racial BS you and others are trying to throw in the mix is for the birds. Gladly people like you don't rep the average Steelers fan.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #85
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Member Number: 24665
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
The color of the coaches skin DOES NOT matter. He was handed a SB quality team and he has coached it into a JOKE. The team doesn't respect the guy. He cannot prepare the team no matter who the opponent is. Tomlin watched the Bengals miss a FG a few plays earlier and sent Suisham (who is an exellent kicker) to kick from the same distance. When a coach makes obviously stupid calls,people get upset. Tomlin can pack his bags and coach elsewhere as far as I'm concerned due to his coaching not ethnicity
Obviously Tomlin's skin color matters to some of you. I only registered here because I became disturbed upon reading little slick/sly comments that had racial undertones. Look, there's no denying that Tomlin inherited a good team loaded with talent. The truth is that the team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there though.The truth is that the team is 62-33 with 2 SB appearances and 1 ring since Tomlin has been HC. So ibviously he has done something right. You sound silly. I understand that we are having a real disappointing season, but team is not a joke. I actually wonder how bright some of you actually are because some of seem to be downright stupid.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LLoyd&Greene For This Useful Post:
zcoop (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #86
Terrapin
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 132
Member Number: 15484
Thanks: 1
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd&Greene View Post
Obviously you don't read and comprehend too well. I never said that black people can't achieve on their own merit. I said that racist attitudes such as yours are why the Rooney rule was instituted in the 1st place. The Rooney rule was created to assure that blacks are at least given an opportunity to interview for HC jobs because they were constantly denied those opportunities previously.

I'm not going to justify Tomlin's hire to you. His qualifications/resume is public record. If you disagree that Tomlin was qualified to be hired as coach then put that in a letter and mail it to Rooney to see if he cares. The bottom line is that Tomlin was hired 6 years ago and has since led the team to a 62-33 record with 2SB appearances and 1 title. The hire has been more than justified even if ignoramouses don't agree. Again, I suspect that people like have always had an agenda against Tomlin and you always will.

As far as your criticisms of Tomlin, I agree with some of them. The problem is that you don't give credit where it's due. Your criticisms of Tomlin don't hold weight if you can't give him the credit that's due. You dismiss any success the team has had under his watch because he supposedly inherited a talented team even though the same team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there. This current team illustrates that it takes more than talent to win in the NFL. You can't whine about and blame Tomlin for this year's team losing to less talented terrible teams when you gave him no credit for how he stepped in and kept the ship steady after Cowher stepped down. The truth is that Tomlin has shown that he's a good coach but this year has been a big disappointment. He has made some bad decisions throughout the season and he's going to have to do a better job. All of that racial BS you and others are trying to throw in the mix is for the birds. Gladly people like you don't rep the average Steelers fan.
You're absolutely right. I've always had an agenda against Tomlin, from the moment he was hired and I thought to myself "who in the fock is this guy?" Then when I looked at his resume and thought "this is the best they can do?" It was then I saw a picture of him, and it all made sense. Again, I'm not one of these politically correct idiots that's afraid of being labeled a racist because they point out facts. Maybe the Rooney's really liked something about Tomlin's pedigree. I just don't know what that is, and 1 year as a coordinator doesn't just scream out 'hire this guy!'

I, like 99.9% of Steeler fans I assume, could give a flying fock what 'color' somebody is. As long as the team is winning, and the team represents itself with class (not AB moonwalking into the endzone. Not Mendenlhall babbling about Bin Laden being a swell dude, and not Ben whining about personnel decisions and play calling).

And I never said I was calling for his head. I said he's not a good coach. He has done some great things here. Then again, Barry Switzer did some great things in Dallas. What I want is to see Tomlin actually get tough with ALL his players (not just certain guys), correct constant mistakes this team makes (turnovers, penalties, game awarness, etc), and brush up on his game planning and game managing. Not make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and sit there and say 'the standard is the standard', 'i'm keeping our 2pt plays in our back pocket', etc. Either get your shit together or be gone. And I said the same thing about Wallace and Ben.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terrapin For This Useful Post:
plenewken (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #87
casteeler
Assistant Coach
 
casteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Heinz field West
Posts: 1,376
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15446
Thanks: 174
Thanked 212 Times in 149 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd&Greene View Post
Obviously Tomlin's skin color matters to some of you. I only registered here because I became disturbed upon reading little slick/sly comments that had racial undertones. Look, there's no denying that Tomlin inherited a good team loaded with talent. The truth is that the team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs the year before he got there though.The truth is that the team is 62-33 with 2 SB appearances and 1 ring since Tomlin has been HC. So ibviously he has done something right. You sound silly. I understand that we are having a real disappointing season, but team is not a joke. I actually wonder how bright some of you actually are because some of seem to be downright stupid.
You seem to be downright stupid. Don't come on a message board that some of us have been on for years and call people Rasict, I (along with many others) think Tomlin is not a good coach because of reasons I've already stated. The Steelers have lacked in areas that coaching usually provides. We have every right to be upset and this is a forum for expressing your feelings. Take your 1950s additude elsewhere
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #88
kent
Bench Warmer
 
kent's Avatar
 
Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mantua, Oh Hometown of Lambert
Posts: 238
Member Number: 24510
Thanks: 38
Thanked 77 Times in 47 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
Thread title says it all. He is competely failing us as a coach. We have maybe more talent than I can ever remember watching and we fail to make the playoffs. Tomlin has made shitty decision after shitty decision.

Maybe if he went Cowher would come back.
Im new to this site and have been following it for the majority of the season and always been interested in everyone's opinions. Lately though Ive lost some respect for some of Steeler nation. Im obviously disappointed in the performance of the team and coaching staff. Lets not forget about the training staff either haha. But the way some people show no support and jump to conclusions is ridiculous. It is just one bad season and a true fan sticks with his team no matter what.

Firing Tomlin would be horrible and not the Steeler way. He is going to make some changes to make sure next year is successful. Lets not forget this guy has taken us to 2 super bowls and the playoffs in 4 of his 6 years. This will be his first non-winning season. Him and the team will come back stronger than ever.

As for Cowher, I loved him as a coach. He took the team to the playoffs in his first six years and a Super bowl. Then they missed the playoffs 3 years in a row. Yet the rooneys stayed loyal and it took him another 5 years to finally win a super bowl.

Cut Tomlin and the team a break, every franchise in every sport is going to have a down year. Go Steelers.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kent For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #89
cowherpower
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 295
Member Number: 24556
Thanks: 226
Thanked 62 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Agreed, a lot better. We have Carnell Lake to thank for that. Since his arrival Taylor has played better (well, most games), Allen is becoming a good Nickle CB and played well as a starter today, and K. Lewis has turned into a real starting CB.

Cowherpowher, I'm surprised to hear that about your friends. EVERY friend that I have that is a fan of a different team thinks Tomlin is an average to below average HC. It's funny because last year I argued with them against that. Towards the end of the year I was thinking they were right, and after this season it's pretty clear to me that they are.
haha, well my buddies happen to be Dolphin and Eagles fans so...take that for what it's worth. I am not sure what people are referring to when talking about our secondary being good. Every one of our serviceable defensive backs predates Tomlin. We get torched any time we play a team that can pass the ball. In those games we get no pass rush because we are trying to mask our secondary deficiencies and then people on here complain about our lack of pass rush. It might look on paper like we have a good pass D but that is misleading. The cupboard is bare as far as talent goes. With Troy, Ike and Clark all approaching that age where we let them go instead of offering them a final contract (maybe should have happened already) we have nobody to step into their roles. Which is sad because none of them are world beaters themselves any longer.

This offseason it is imperative to draft a cornerstone corner back. I mean a la Woodson or Chad Scott (I truly believe absent his knee injuries he could have been real good). The problem I see is that it shouldn't take a first rounder if you have anyone at the helm who can identify and develop DBs. In my opinion Tomlin should be able to find hidden gems and get them to first round production. His failure to do so in all these years is telling.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #90
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 28
Member Number: 24665
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
You're absolutely right. I've always had an agenda against Tomlin, from the moment he was hired and I thought to myself "who in the fock is this guy?" Then when I looked at his resume and thought "this is the best they can do?" It was then I saw a picture of him, and it all made sense. Again, I'm not one of these politically correct idiots that's afraid of being labeled a racist because they point out facts. Maybe the Rooney's really liked something about Tomlin's pedigree. I just don't know what that is, and 1 year as a coordinator doesn't just scream out 'hire this guy!'

I, like 99.9% of Steeler fans I assume, could give a flying fock what 'color' somebody is. As long as the team is winning, and the team represents itself with class (not AB moonwalking into the endzone. Not Mendenlhall babbling about Bin Laden being a swell dude, and not Ben whining about personnel decisions and play calling).

And I never said I was calling for his head. I said he's not a good coach. He has done some great things here. Then again, Barry Switzer did some great things in Dallas. What I want is to see Tomlin actually get tough with ALL his players (not just certain guys), correct constant mistakes this team makes (turnovers, penalties, game awarness, etc), and brush up on his game planning and game managing. Not make the same mistakes over and over and over again, and sit there and say 'the standard is the standard', 'i'm keeping our 2pt plays in our back pocket', etc. Either get your shit together or be gone. And I said the same thing about Wallace and Ben.
Well your agenda against Tomlin is palpable. Obviously you're not being objective here. Just don't break your arm patting yourself on the back for being unapolegetically racist as an anonymous person on the internet. That takes so much courage, you're so brave.

A few questions though. Did you know who Bill Cowher was before he was hired? Did you approve of his resume, because it wasn't all that much better or extensive than Tomlin's was? Both Cowher and Tomlin were hired when they were about 35 years old with minimal coaching experience including no HC experience, yet some of you want to act like the Tomlin hire is something that the franchise has never done. You're trying to paint Tomlin as some type of AA HC who's proven himself unworthy of the job. That insults me as a Steelers fan who happens to be black. Tomlin has not been a perfect coach by any stretch and this season is a big disappointment. However, Tomlin's overall record and resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself and fans who are still questioning whether he can do the job sound silly. If he couldn't do the job then he wouldn't have 2 SB appearances under his belt. I know I know, any success the team has had has been achieved despite Tomlin while he's responsible for everything that's gone wrong. That's how it goes with people like you, right?

This isn't true. Like you've already admitted, you(and others like you) have always had an agenda against Tomlin. You just couldn't express that anti-Tomlin agenda when we were winning without exposing yourself even more than you're doing now. I honestly wish that 99.9% of Steelers fans didn't care that Tomlin is black but apparently that's not true. You also need to get off of your high-horse and stop being disingenuous. This team is no more unclassy than some of the teams under Cowher. I certainly remember Hines Ward mimmicking the end zone celebrations of players from opposing teams. Was that classy? How about my main man J Peazy and his infamous list of antics? Are you a new Steelers fan?

Switzer was in Dallas for just 3 seasons and resigned after going 6-10 in his 3rd season. Tomlin has already coached the Steelers for twice as long, has been to twice as many SBs, and has never gone 6-10. Can we stop trying to make that comparison? Again, I agree with a lot of the criticisms made about the job that Tomlin has done this season. I think that we all want to see the problems plaguing the team be corrected. My issue is with the personal attacks towards Tomlin. My issue is with fans who have an agenda against him based on other ish and are using this season as an excuse to justify their non-football related agenda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
You seem to be downright stupid. Don't come on a message board that some of us have been on for years and call people Rasict, I (along with many others) think Tomlin is not a good coach because of reasons I've already stated. The Steelers have lacked in areas that coaching usually provides. We have every right to be upset and this is a forum for expressing your feelings. Take your 1950s additude elsewhere
If the truth hurts........... The reasons that you and others have listed to support saying that Tomlin's not a good coach don't hold water. His resume as the Steelers HC speaks for itself. This isn't the only season that he's been the HC and a lot of the problems that haunted the team this season weren't there in his previous year's leading the team. It's ok to be disappointed, but it's not cool to be ignorant. You're ignorant, meaning you dont know what you're talking about. Tomlin has coached the team to being a joke? 2 SB appreances in 6 years is a joke?
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts