Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #41
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Off Season Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
In other words prepare for a few down years re building???

Not sure why this is not brought up more but the entire training staff has got to go! We have so many key players dropping EVERY YEAR! Seems more so than any other team!?
I don't see how they can justify paying Keisel over 4 mill next year. Play Heyward and move on.

Cutting Harrison saves 5.1 million...That seems like an easy choice.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #42
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
Water Boy

Member Number: 24488

Worilds impressed, Harrison should be gone. Agreed that Heyward should take over for Keisel.

I'm thinking LB in round 1 without a doubt. If you wanna move up and grab Te'o go ahead, we need a playmaker at that position ASAP.
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #43
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Why does eveyone forget about Spence, he was projected to start until his knee, or is he not returning due to the injury?
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #44
surcalifero
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13079

We want to get rid of Harrison, Hampton, Polamalu, Foote, Wallace, and Mendy. The problem with getting rid of them is that the backups to those starters are not starter material. Bad drafting has finally caught up to us. All the players we draft in the upcoming draft will all sit down for next yr. So we are screwed big time.
surcalifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #45
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Maybe I had this in the wrong thread befor but here are my thoughts on the off season!

Does anyone believe Te'o would still be available? I think NOT! That would be an insanely good pick up! Players like him dont come along often! One thing I know is, well a few things, I can not wait til this season is OVER and this is going to be (for me) the most interresting off season in a long long time! I cant wait til the draft!

Here is who I like in the draft besides Te'o!

Big physical cornerback-David Amerson, North Carolina State, 6-3/194

Running back-Knile Davis, Arkansas 6-0/226

Tackle-D.J. Fluker, Alabama, 6-6/335

Fullback-Michael Zordich, Penn State, 6-1/242...
Old 12-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #46
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Keep an aging LB in Harrison over Wallace?

Makes sense....
I say that because I wonder if Harrison was just banged up this season and now finally getting healthy. Him as a DE in a 4-3 makes sense because he is pretty stout against the run and we all know how he rushes the passer. You'd see less of him in coverage and more of him taking out QB. Don't see why he couldn't put up Ware type sack numbers for a couple more years. A

s far as Wallace, I am a fan of his speed but he does have somewhat of a 'punk' mentality. I also don't believe we have any choice now anyhow as he is free to go as we cannot afford to franchise him nor match what several teams are prepared to throw at him. MIA, SEA, MN, BUF, KC, SD, WASH, CHI, CAR, ARI, SF, and a couple more are all teams that I can see going after him. He is going to cash in as teams are desperate for his skills. If we had a different coach I'd say we could have turned this around for him but we blew it. Will be tough to see him go. People don't realize what you got till it's gone. But Ben can't deliver the deep ball so maybe we'll see just how sick he can be on another roster.

Maybe the threat of franchise will prompt some team to trade for him. Not sure if that is possible but hopefully it is and Colbert can pull it off. He is not long for PIT either way.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cowherpower For This Useful Post:
Jahodac (12-25-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #47
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Hopefully if Haley gets a head coaching job somewhere, we get a more innovative o-coordinator. We need more fire power in our offense, an offense that can exploit their opponents weaknesses and can take advantage in key situations, like not going 3 and out when they get the ball at the 50 yard line or better. We also need a versatile running back who can hold on to the football. The o-line is pretty young and hopefully will take a huge step forward, hopefully Tomlin makes a solid pick to replace Kugler as o-line coach. I'd also like to see them take a look at a new strength and conditioning trainer too.
AgentGold007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #48
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,182 Times in 495 Posts

If our front office shuns Max Starks for the UMPTEENTH time then shame on them. Other than Roethlisberger and Heath, Starks is our only offensive player that is a proven commodity. He's earned the right to stay at LT for as long as he can manage and hold down that fort. Our most consistent lineman on the team, including Pouncey.
teegre (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #49
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,080 Times in 3,411 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
If our front office shuns Max Starks for the UMPTEENTH time then shame on them. Other than Roethlisberger and Heath, Starks is our only offensive player that is a proven commodity. He's earned the right to stay at LT for as long as he can manage and hold down that fort. Our most consistent lineman on the team, including Pouncey.
completely agree. If I'm not mistaken, Starks will be the only player on offense to start every game this year. I know Starks isn't some superstar or anything but I think very highly of him.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #50
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Well, its ok now to look at what moves we can make to improve. Here is what I see happening:

GONE:
Batch
Redman
Mendenhall
Wallace
Starks
Foster
Hampton
Sylvestor
Foote
Mundy

Resign:
Leftwich
Dwyer
Burress
Sanders
McClendon
Lewis
W Allen

The Steelers are never active and I have no idea their cap situation but there are two running backs I like a lot that can come cheap and are extremely versitle:

Jackie Battle
Joquie Bell

Having a first round pick in the mid/late teens I can see the Steelers going in this direction:

rd 1. Run Stuffing DT to replace Hampton
rs. 2 Quick, Inside LB to replace Foote
rd 3. Running back if we don't re-sign or sign any
rd 4. wide receiver
rd.5 - rd7. OL, DL, DB help
I believe the Steelers will try to resign Wallace & Mendenhall.
I also expect Redman, Starks, & Foote (if he doesn't retire) to be back.

I also believe we should cut Colon because he's ended up on Injured Reserve way too much and if we don't cut Colon, sign a G in the 2nd round just incase he gets injured.

Draft Picks by Round:
1st: Cornerback (If there's one worth drafting and if not draft a DT)
2nd: Offensive Tackle or Guard (Depending on who we resign)
3rd & 4th: Defensive Lineman or Inside Linebacker (Depending on who's available)
5th: Safety or Cornerback (Depending on who's available)
6h: Tight End
7th: Safety or Cornerback (Depending on who's available)

I believe that our issue is our lack of depth in the secondary and a lack of dominant offensive linemen like in the past, even if this year was an improvement. We also have a lack of pass rush that should get back on track when Harrison is healthy.
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote