Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,668 Times in 2,411 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Our RB situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
Why it didnt work this year, what makes anyone think it will next year.
mendy this time not coming off an ACL surgery and running behind decastro and adams with another training camp under their belt and NFL game experience. more intagibles involved than just who's the names at running back.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509

I'm optimistic with our O-Line next year, I think it should be solid.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
I'm optimistic with our O-Line next year, I think it should be solid.
they were doing great imo until adams and colon got backed up

decastro had his struggles but he should be an upgrade over foster to start next season
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Rather go without Mendehal. Regardless of being our best back, if he is our best back, than cut them all and sign someoneelse. He dances way to much, than the hole closes, just because he makes an outside cut doesn't mean he is a good back.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Rather go without Mendehal. Regardless of being our best back, if he is our best back, than cut them all and sign someoneelse. He dances way to much, than the hole closes, just because he makes an outside cut doesn't mean he is a good back.
the only time our offense ever moved the ball was when he was in the lineup. cincy's defense had to play more disciplined and stay in their lanes and react. dwyer/redman in there they'd just all blow up the middle and that stops slow backs every time
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
the only time our offense ever moved the ball was when he was in the lineup. cincy's defense had to play more disciplined and stay in their lanes and react. dwyer/redman in there they'd just all blow up the middle and that stops slow backs every time
Exactly, and I'm starting to think that is why Tomlin singled him out even though every RB on the roster fumbled. I think Tomlin's ego was hurt when the Rooney's put the team above personality. Whatever the reason, the Rooney's, who own the team, said we need to get better at running the ball, and Tomlin has stood in the way of that, and I hope they are noticing, especially if Whiz becomes available this offseason.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
they were doing great imo until adams and colon got backed up

decastro had his struggles but he should be an upgrade over foster to start next season
The Bengals D Line made DeCastro their bitch, it was ugly....I hope we can laugh at this game in a few years when he is a Pro Bowler!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613

My thoughts on this:

1. Get rid of Mendenhall. He is our worst option outside of Rainey who is simply too small to carry the load. Not only that, but he doesn't fit the mold of our team and we saw his loyalty during the San Diego game. I don't even see how or why people would argue keeping Mendenhall.

2. Start Redman. He is our best back and could be a feature back given the chance. The only argument I have seen against him that has even an ounce of legitimacy is getting injured but he has had 1 injury I can remember keeping him out of a game. Outside of that we have no clue what his durability is and that is why we keep more than 1 back on the team.

3. Try Rainey at WR. He honestly has no business even being in our RB depth chart. He is way too small to be anything but a specialty back and we really don't need that. The others can catch just as well out of the backfield and can get the big chuncks of yards by breaking tackles. Keep him healthy for returning kicks.

So why go with my position on this? Well, for multiple reasons.

1. It gives us a here and now back that is beyond good enough to be a feature back we can make a run at the SB with. Redman is at an age where RB's start to go downward but the good thing for him is that he hasn't been used much so age may not be a major factor here. He should have 2-4 good years left.

2. It gives us young depth that is not only proven but has a chance to grow and be even better. Dwyer has been a solid back for us this year having back to back 100 yard games as a feature back. He still has some room for growth and needs to work on his weight a bit and toughen up some. He comes out of the game a lot on his own accord. Beside him you have Baron Batch who seems to have a lot of promise. Again, he is young so he has a chance to really grow behind Redman in the couple years Redman would be starting for us.

3. It keeps us from having...."over-depth" at the position. I think the Steelers coaching was a bit too keen on all of our backs and they created a sort of controversy with the running back by committee thing. They tried to force Rainey in and make him relevant and get all our backs on the ball instead of letting one get hot and stay hot. My plan completely removes this from the equation. You pick the best one (Redman) and go with him while having proven and promising depth behind him. If say in the first 3 or 4 games are line is playing well and Redman isn't or he is fumbling and making mistakes, then you can move the depth chart around. But give the guy his just due.

That gives us 3 RB's on our squad and if it came to it you could still count Rainey as a 4th so that we don't get thin. Any other backs they are interested in....Maybe they can draft one late for the practice squad or whatever.

What shocks me most is how simple and easy this plan is and very few people seem to get it (looking mainly at the coaches here). The stats support my argument completely and I would love to see them give this plan a try. Prove me wrong Steelers. Do it.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
My thoughts on this:

1. Get rid of Mendenhall. He is our worst option outside of Rainey who is simply too small to carry the load. Not only that, but he doesn't fit the mold of our team and we saw his loyalty during the San Diego game. I don't even see how or why people would argue keeping Mendenhall.

2. Start Redman. He is our best back and could be a feature back given the chance. The only argument I have seen against him that has even an ounce of legitimacy is getting injured but he has had 1 injury I can remember keeping him out of a game. Outside of that we have no clue what his durability is and that is why we keep more than 1 back on the team.

3. Try Rainey at WR. He honestly has no business even being in our RB depth chart. He is way too small to be anything but a specialty back and we really don't need that. The others can catch just as well out of the backfield and can get the big chuncks of yards by breaking tackles. Keep him healthy for returning kicks.

So why go with my position on this? Well, for multiple reasons.

1. It gives us a here and now back that is beyond good enough to be a feature back we can make a run at the SB with. Redman is at an age where RB's start to go downward but the good thing for him is that he hasn't been used much so age may not be a major factor here. He should have 2-4 good years left.

2. It gives us young depth that is not only proven but has a chance to grow and be even better. Dwyer has been a solid back for us this year having back to back 100 yard games as a feature back. He still has some room for growth and needs to work on his weight a bit and toughen up some. He comes out of the game a lot on his own accord. Beside him you have Baron Batch who seems to have a lot of promise. Again, he is young so he has a chance to really grow behind Redman in the couple years Redman would be starting for us.

3. It keeps us from having...."over-depth" at the position. I think the Steelers coaching was a bit too keen on all of our backs and they created a sort of controversy with the running back by committee thing. They tried to force Rainey in and make him relevant and get all our backs on the ball instead of letting one get hot and stay hot. My plan completely removes this from the equation. You pick the best one (Redman) and go with him while having proven and promising depth behind him. If say in the first 3 or 4 games are line is playing well and Redman isn't or he is fumbling and making mistakes, then you can move the depth chart around. But give the guy his just due.

That gives us 3 RB's on our squad and if it came to it you could still count Rainey as a 4th so that we don't get thin. Any other backs they are interested in....Maybe they can draft one late for the practice squad or whatever.

What shocks me most is how simple and easy this plan is and very few people seem to get it (looking mainly at the coaches here). The stats support my argument completely and I would love to see them give this plan a try. Prove me wrong Steelers. Do it.
Baron Batch had no vision, and showed zero talent. Redman is 3rd string. The games without Mendy showed that Dwyer/Redman didn't get it done. Coaches agreed, and opened negotiations with Mendy. If Mendy walks, we draft a new #1 in 2nd or 3rd round.

Either way if we keep both Batch and Rainey, either Dwyer or Redman gets cut, and it's likely going to be Redman going. Next years RB corps is...

1) Mendy(Or a new draft RB)
2) Dwyer
3) Batch/Rainey

The only "Stat" that matters here is that the Steelers decided to negotiate a contract for Mendenhall. They wouldn't be doing that unless they wanted him to be the #1 guy, and his performance today again showed that when healthy, he's in a class the fat backs on this team will never match.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #20
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Baron Batch had no vision, and showed zero talent.
When was this? I don't recall him ever even getting to play.

Quote:
The games without Mendy showed that Dwyer/Redman didn't get it done.
3 out of 4 games where either of them had 15-17+ carries were 100 yard running games and we won all 3 of them. You my friend, couldn't be more wrong.

Quote:
Coaches agreed, and opened negotiations with Mendy.
See my fire Tomlin thread. This only hurts your argument with me

Quote:
The only "Stat" that matters here is that the Steelers decided to negotiate a contract for Mendenhall. They wouldn't be doing that unless they wanted him to be the #1 guy, and his performance today again showed that when healthy, he's in a class the fat backs on this team will never match.
Unfortunately you may be right on the first part. It would just be a continuation of Tomlin making terrible decisions. As for the latter part, again, you are sort of wrong. He performed slightly better than Dwyer today but Dwyer isn't who I am arguing as the starter. I said Dwyer needs time to grow and such.

As for Redman....He never got a chance to run the ball today but the couple times he did he got 2 first downs Mendenhall never would have fought and gotten. In fact, the time they gave the ball to Mendenhall on 3rd and 2 he lost yards. Redman converted a third and short and a 4th and short against a defense that broke through the line and completely read the play.

And you should also note the back the Steelers chose for the final play of the game to attempt and provide a miracle.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote