Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Giants and Steelers

The Giants and the Steelers, two storied franchises, linked in more ways than one. Two QBs taken in the same draft, both winners of two Superbowls, both worshiped and despised at times. Both coming off difficult years, questions about personnel, coaches, and from fans perspective their QBs.

What fans do not understand though is these great organizations do not panic, they do not buy into the Jerry Jones or Daniel Synder practice of "throwing out the baby with the bath water" type shakeups. They do not throw their hands up and say lets start over. They look at the team and know from years of experience that things can be remedied, although sometimes there is no quick fix.

NY fans have wanted Coughlin out for years, notably the years preceding and sometimes the year of their Superbowl wins, those same fans have cheered Eli and the next play called for his head. Steeler fans are pretty much the same, any year not ending in a Lombardi being hosted is a failure in their eyes. Ben WILL never be Bradshaw, he WILL never be giver the credit that he is due, mostly due to the fact that this is a defense first, power run second kind of fan base.

Not being from Pittsburgh (no where even close, North MS all my life) I had no ties to any team. In 1972 the only team I saw on TV every week was the Cowboys and whoever they were playing and rarely another game. The first time I saw the Steelers I was hooked. Here was a team that hit harder than others, and pounded the ball, not only beat the other team but made them lose their will to win. I was a 13 year old kid who fell in love with the Steelers first and a fan of pro football second. I loved the players, and I hated losses, but even at a young age and playing sports myself I knew you could not win everytime. Opponents are just that opponents and they are trying to win just as much as you are. I promise if you ain't losing than you ain't playing.

The Giants and the Steelers are model franchises, both are touted by nearly every knowledgeable sports reporter of doing it the right way. They both make mistakes, but theirs seem to be fewer, less often, and less costly. The will not fire a coach lightly and they will not do wholesale changes that could take years to overcome if those changes fail. They both also know that they have the QBs in place for another run at a SB, and will do what they can to make them better next year. I know we are not happy with the direction this team took, and while no solace is found in NYs similar season, we can find solace in knowing that our FO has a history of doing it the right way.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricco Suavez For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (12-25-2012), SteelersCanada (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,099 Times in 3,895 Posts
Default Re: Giants and Steelers

Logical and calm thinking?! On these boards?! Holy shit, it is a Christmas miracle.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,963 Times in 3,374 Posts

Nice post. This team has a lot of what it needs in order to fix its own problems. Tomlin is going to have to learn from his mistakes for sure. Some of these players are going to really have to work hard in the off-season (but I'm sure they already know that).

I don't expect any huge changes before next year except letting a few older players go.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

I know, its amazing ain't it. I tell my wife that if the Zombie Apocalypse strikes I want to be fighting along side nearly anyone but some of these fans.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Well said!

The way I look at stuff like this is that both us and the Giants are set up like high performance machines and such machines require constant care and maintenance.
When parts break in a regular machine, it can often still chug along and do a basically functional job. But when parts break in a high performance machine, the result is often dramatic and sometimes catastrophic.

We're just not able to operate at our peak level just now and we need fixing but we're not "broken" beyond repair, we just need to spend some time on the rack and have some parts fixed or replaced and we'll be up and running again.

One thing though...I'm not really fond of the Offense's head mechanic right now and I much preferred the guy we had before. But he DOES deserve a shot at making things right, so I'll have to wait and see what happens.

But if this happens again it's the scrap yard for him!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

I agree. I have at times defended Arians, and now I find myself defending Haley. Both are capable of good gameplans, both make what appear to be some bonehead calls as well. I still think the biggest issue is the lack of execution by the players (something that has to be addressed by the head coach, either directly or through his coaches) and I do not think our WR are suited to the dink and dunk. If we had this kind of offense when Ward was a factor then I would be all for it, it is no coincidence that Heath had his best year, this type of offense does suit him to a tee. When our speedsters can get some separation and Ben can have some time and an open lane to throw then it becomes a different story, but our WRs are just not physical enough to free up against quality DBs.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292

A very well and thoughout thread, Bravo, Bravo, Bravo. I think the Steelers will make the necessary changes needed, may take a year or two though. They have some interesting decisions to make this off-season. I've followed this team since 1974, I am a Die Hard Steelers Fan, not from the Burgh either. Interesting to see what happens next Spring. The following players have been total disappointments:

LaMarr Woodley - Out of Shape and overweight every since he signed that Fat Contract! Thanks for Nothing!

Rashard Mendenhall - Can't wait for the season to end so he can tip-toe his A$$ right out of town, the same way he runs behind the O/L.

Mike Wallace - Lets see how much money you will get on the open market Mike. Oh Yeah!!

Antonio Brown - One of my favorite players, however, too many mental mistakes. He has got to fix it.
Byron Leftwitch - You have got to be kidding me! Another bone-head decision by Mike Tomlin. Why is he still on the team? Somebody, Please explain this one to me.

Emmanuel Sanders - Showed Flashes, but IMO he is nothing more than a dangerous slot receiver, adequate 2nd receiver. He runs great routes, but he too had too many mental mistakes this year.

The Offensive Line - Marcus Gilbert and Ramon Foster played like Punks; too soft!
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I agree. I have at times defended Arians, and now I find myself defending Haley. Both are capable of good gameplans, both make what appear to be some bonehead calls as well. I still think the biggest issue is the lack of execution by the players (something that has to be addressed by the head coach, either directly or through his coaches) and I do not think our WR are suited to the dink and dunk. If we had this kind of offense when Ward was a factor then I would be all for it, it is no coincidence that Heath had his best year, this type of offense does suit him to a tee. When our speedsters can get some separation and Ben can have some time and an open lane to throw then it becomes a different story, but our WRs are just not physical enough to free up against quality DBs.
I get what you're saying and I do agree with it to a point.

But it isn't all about execution as much as it's about excitement. I think that under Arians, Ben played a more wide-open game and one that was more improvisational and that in turn kept the receivers heads in the game more and every receiver was always "in the play" because none of them really knew if it was their turn to step up and so they were all focused on being "the man".
With what we have now, it's about running routes and catching passes which of course is a basic thing, but it's more "routine" than before and somewhat boring.

Like I've said before, Ben is not a pocket-passer or a game manager. He's more of a "make-it-up-as-you-go" type of player and trying to make him something different is a waste of time and talent.

Arians knew that and let it happen and I'm sure Haley knows that as well. The question is. can Haley put his ego aside and let Ben be Ben?