Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #31
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Tomlin Getting Bad Rap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
Are you Steelers player? Do you have inside access to the locker room? What do you base your wild accusations on? Is it just your demented beliefs about this coach?

And a downward spiral? when have we started a downward spiral? we are one year removed from a 12-4 season, did said downward spiral started then?

Is Tomlin perfect? not all, he had made some head scratching decisions this year, but that does not make him a bad coach, it just makes him human.

Tomlin has had a losing season during his first 6 years (this year has not finished yet. but i believe we will beat the browns.) has only missed the playoffs twice, and has had 3 12-4 seasons to boot. Oh yeah, he also won a super bowl and also took us to another one. he has a .625 winning percentage as a coach, but we are in a downward spiral?

He also has drafted well. Wallace, Bown, Sanders, Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Pouncey, Worilds, Dwyer, Lewis, Woodley, ETC. Sure he has drafted some busts in the early rounds, but look at any other coaches' draft, and you will see busts all over the place.
(I did not put anybody on this years draft because it is too early to tell really.)

To say that Tomlin is not a good coach, not back it up with any facts or, hell, even valid opinions, is just plain dumb.
Your right the team is progressing,now on to the playoffs
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #32
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
I think one of Tomlin's strengths is player development. Look at some of the players he developed that were mid round picks or later. Players like Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Woodley, Brown, Wallace, sanders and you will see upside for Dwyer, Rainey, DEcastro, Adams and Spence.

His weekness is getting his team focused, at least this year. Too many dumb penalties and turnovers. especially at crucial times which I do blame on coaching.

Look at 2 killer plays in Super Bowl 45. The Mendy fumble and the kick off personal foul by Kenyan Fox after a good return for a final drive.

that is coaching and that he needs to work on.
sorry but his drafts have been pretty bad Woodley, Wallace, DeCastro, Adam all early round picks. ONLY player picked late that worked out is Brown. None of the db are really any good. He has failed to draft and develop a single defensive back into a viable starter. I put blame on him because before he got here we had amazing drafts under Colbert. Despite for the most part drafting late in rounds we always got a difference maker in every draft. Not so much since 07.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
sorry but his drafts have been pretty bad Woodley, Wallace, DeCastro, Adam all early round picks. ONLY player picked late that worked out is Brown. None of the db are really any good. He has failed to draft and develop a single defensive back into a viable starter. I put blame on him because before he got here we had amazing drafts under Colbert. Despite for the most part drafting late in rounds we always got a difference maker in every draft. Not so much since 07.
Go ahead and take a look at the Patriots draft during that same period, and tell me if they have fared any better in the late rounds than the Steelers. And also, Keenan Lewis was drafted in 09', and has become a pretty solid NO.2 CB for us this year.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #34
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
Your right the team is progressing,now on to the playoffs
Did you say the same thing in 09? 06? 03? 00? Did you say the same thing back in the late 90s when Cowher had three straight years off missing the playoffs?

You do not have any valid arguments as to why Tomlin should be fired after one bad year.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #35
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

Decastro and Adams might pan out to be great picks, I'd give them some time. Woodley has been dissappointing this year, but he's not a bust or anything (funny that Timmons would have been used as an example as a bad pick instead of Woodley before this season). Lewis looks like he's could be something special.

And as for Wallace, I don't particularly have faith in him, but he was a pretty good pick. He's made great plays for us over his career so far and he's put up big numbers.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #36
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Quote:
Not every first round pick is a home-run pick. Every team in this league has seen a first rounder underperform or become a bust.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
I wouldn't fire Tomlin over one bad season, a few more consecutive ones then we'll talk.

Hate to be in his shoes right now, especially in a meeting with the Rooneys. He's gotta have the worst gig in the NFL to meet fan and owner expectations.

I have no issues with the draft picks, I think Colbert has done an excellent job IMO. But Tomlin is a player's coach, not someone you see giving discipline out to the vets.

We'll see what happens next season.

For a coach who has taken over a SB caliber team, I think 3 bad seasons in a row justifies getting fired. Next year is YEAR 3.... IMO Tomlin has to win playoff games next season to keep his job. Getting beated and knocked out of the playoffs by the Bronco's was easily the worst coaching job I've seen in Pittsburgh in my entire life.... There's nothing remotely close to that failure. Then we follow up that failure with losses to the Chargers, Browns, Raiders, Titans, and possibly a losing record... he has to win next year or bye bye
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #38
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you suggesting Tomlin, not Colbert, has done the drafting since Cowher left?
DB's??? Ike has been a top corner for years now. He just isn't recognized because he can't catch the ball. Would be hard for any DB to come in and supplant him. Lewis has been solid this year. The more experience Allen and Brown got the better they looked. I thought those 2 guys played outstanding yesterday.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #39
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
Are you Steelers player? Do you have inside access to the locker room? What do you base your wild accusations on? Is it just your demented beliefs about this coach?

And a downward spiral? when have we started a downward spiral? we are one year removed from a 12-4 season, did said downward spiral started then?

Is Tomlin perfect? not all, he had made some head scratching decisions this year, but that does not make him a bad coach, it just makes him human.

Tomlin has had a losing season during his first 6 years (this year has not finished yet. but i believe we will beat the browns.) has only missed the playoffs twice, and has had 3 12-4 seasons to boot. Oh yeah, he also won a super bowl and also took us to another one. he has a .625 winning percentage as a coach, but we are in a downward spiral?

He also has drafted well. Wallace, Bown, Sanders, Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Pouncey, Worilds, Dwyer, Lewis, Woodley, ETC. Sure he has drafted some busts in the early rounds, but look at any other coaches' draft, and you will see busts all over the place.
(I did not put anybody on this years draft because it is too early to tell really.)

To say that Tomlin is not a good coach, not back it up with any facts or, hell, even valid opinions, is just plain dumb.
You don't need to be a player to know that Tomlin is losing the locker room. It's played out on the field. The players and their development are like kids. If you are lax with your rules and don't follow through with your threats of discipline, they become little cocky smart-asses. Look at the young guys on this team...especially the "Young Money" crew. They need to grow up, and Mike needs to kick some ass in camp next year or this team will continue to flounder. Tomlin has got to lose this buddy-buddy method he's using to guide these youngsters - they are taking advantage of him.

I hate to break it to you, but ANY team that hires a "players coach" is in a downward spiral immediately. They may win for a while, but eventually the enamor wears off and the players no longer respond to the rah-rah methods. Look at all the great multiple championship winning coaches in any sport over the course of history. A large majority of them are/were taskmasters that accepted nothing short of balls-to-the-wall hard work and perfection. Even the "nice guys" were tough during practice - Wooden, Dean Smith, Shula, even Cowher to a degree.

Tomlin needs to grow a pair and quit the back-slapping and joking around and beat some dicks in the dirt in Latrobe!!
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #40
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
You don't need to be a player to know that Tomlin is losing the locker room. It's played out on the field. The players and their development are like kids. If you are lax with your rules and don't follow through with your threats of discipline, they become little cocky smart-asses. Look at the young guys on this team...especially the "Young Money" crew. They need to grow up, and Mike needs to kick some ass in camp next year or this team will continue to flounder. Tomlin has got to lose this buddy-buddy method he's using to guide these youngsters - they are taking advantage of him.

I hate to break it to you, but ANY team that hires a "players coach" is in a downward spiral immediately. They may win for a while, but eventually the enamor wears off and the players no longer respond to the rah-rah methods. Look at all the great multiple championship winning coaches in any sport over the course of history. A large majority of them are/were taskmasters that accepted nothing short of balls-to-the-wall hard work and perfection. Even the "nice guys" were tough during practice - Wooden, Dean Smith, Shula, even Cowher to a degree.

Tomlin needs to grow a pair and quit the back-slapping and joking around and beat some dicks in the dirt in Latrobe!!
I figured if this guy couldn't figure it out by watching the team fall apart,I couldn't convince him. Good point though
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote