Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651
Default Re: Tomlin Getting Bad Rap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
You don't need to be a player to know that Tomlin is losing the locker room. It's played out on the field. The players and their development are like kids. If you are lax with your rules and don't follow through with your threats of discipline, they become little cocky smart-asses. Look at the young guys on this team...especially the "Young Money" crew. They need to grow up, and Mike needs to kick some ass in camp next year or this team will continue to flounder. Tomlin has got to lose this buddy-buddy method he's using to guide these youngsters - they are taking advantage of him.

I hate to break it to you, but ANY team that hires a "players coach" is in a downward spiral immediately. They may win for a while, but eventually the enamor wears off and the players no longer respond to the rah-rah methods. Look at all the great multiple championship winning coaches in any sport over the course of history. A large majority of them are/were taskmasters that accepted nothing short of balls-to-the-wall hard work and perfection. Even the "nice guys" were tough during practice - Wooden, Dean Smith, Shula, even Cowher to a degree.

Tomlin needs to grow a pair and quit the back-slapping and joking around and beat some dicks in the dirt in Latrobe!!
Outside of the patiots Wide recievers corps, what group of WRs are not cocky? I do not get that argument. I would point out that when Timlin first came on, that most players thought he overworked them. I would also point out that Tomlin is willing to bench his players (Dwyer, Mendenhall, and Redman where benched immediately after fumbling during the browns debacle) and also suspend his players.

Again, I do not how you guys think that Tomlin is losing the locker room; almost nobody has said anything disrespectful to him publicly.

Tomlin has what it takes to win, he has showed in the past and is still showing it this year. That being said, the few upcoming years will be pretty challenging for him. The defense is getting too old and his draftees need to step up.

In conclusion, there is not evidence that Tomlin is losing the locker room; his job is not in jeopardy (seriously, this team almost never fires a coach).

That being said, these next few years are going to be a challenge for him to transition this defense from one generation to another. I think he has what it takes, some of might disagree with me, but we shall see in these few years.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #42
Danny136200
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17651

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
I figured if this guy couldn't figure it out by watching the team fall apart,I couldn't convince him. Good point though
No, you cannot convince me that Tomlin is not a coach, because you never brought up any valid points. I am willing to change my stance if you do. So far, you only stated what I assume are conspiracy theories.
Danny136200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #43
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
You can look foward to a few more years of missing the playoffs if you think Tomlin is the head coach for this team
History doesn't support your position.

Which of these coaches do you want over Tomlin?

Turner
Garrett
Rivera
Ryan
Gailey
Smith
Shurmur
Schwartz
Mularkey
Crennel
Allen
Schiano
Munchak
desertsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #44
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny136200 View Post
Outside of the patiots Wide recievers corps, what group of WRs are not cocky? I do not get that argument. I would point out that when Timlin first came on, that most players thought he overworked them. I would also point out that Tomlin is willing to bench his players (Dwyer, Mendenhall, and Redman where benched immediately after fumbling during the browns debacle) and also suspend his players.

Again, I do not how you guys think that Tomlin is losing the locker room; almost nobody has said anything disrespectful to him publicly.

Tomlin has what it takes to win, he has showed in the past and is still showing it this year. That being said, the few upcoming years will be pretty challenging for him. The defense is getting too old and his draftees need to step up.

In conclusion, there is not evidence that Tomlin is losing the locker room; his job is not in jeopardy (seriously, this team almost never fires a coach).

That being said, these next few years are going to be a challenge for him to transition this defense from one generation to another. I think he has what it takes, some of might disagree with me, but we shall see in these few years.
It's not the cockiness that is the problem. It's the cockiness without the discipline. You're correct. Tomlin did get grief from the veterans for overworking them..and what did he do? Went soft. Bad move.

After the 2009 debacle and weekly threats to "unleash hell" or "bench starters," with no follow through, it's no surprise that these benching have no affect on the players.

I agree that the next couple of years will write the book on Tomlin. I also believe he has what it takes, but he needs to re-establish some toughness in camp.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #45
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBobbleHead View Post
I'm confused. Are you suggesting Tomlin, not Colbert, has done the drafting since Cowher left?
DB's??? Ike has been a top corner for years now. He just isn't recognized because he can't catch the ball. Would be hard for any DB to come in and supplant him. Lewis has been solid this year. The more experience Allen and Brown got the better they looked. I thought those 2 guys played outstanding yesterday.
No, I believe the HC and Colbert work in tandem. Lewis should not be starting. He leads the league in pass defends because teams throw at him constantly and every once in a while he gets in the way. Not because he is providing great coverage, but because a play will break down or an errant pass. I think I saw maybe 3 legit PD this season from him. He has ZERO interceptions. Next year when we actually play a decent passing offense people will see just how bad these guys are. Not to mention it's year three and he is just now getting to be barely better than William Gay. Allen has flashes and I hold out hope for him. Then again, there are plenty other teams out there running out as late or later round picks as Allen and outplaying him. Of course, how good any of them are is still somewhat of a mystery as Tomlin is allergic to playing young guys it seems.

I do see a lot of posters defending our defensive backs but this was a very easy schedule and we still couldn't get it done. I shudder to think how we'd look if we had to play NFC North with those QB and receivers. and as good as Lewis played he gave up that reception to get them in FG range. The guy had like 5 yards separation. WIDE open.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #46
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Tomlin is an OK head coach. Nothing special. I like his going for the win mentality but he isn't really good at game planning. Lots of hot air interviews and verbal diarrhea. But then again, if Big Ben has one more successful game winner in SB XLV, this discussion doesn't exist. Football has too many variables.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #47
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
History doesn't support your position.

Which of these coaches do you want over Tomlin?

Turner
Garrett
Rivera
Ryan
Gailey
Smith
Shurmur
Schwartz
Mularkey
Crennel
Allen
Schiano
Munchak
I honestly do not feel now or ever, that he has done a single thing to win any games for us I can't recall one instance when a game was over and we won and I said to myself "man, that Tomlin won us this game". He doesn't x an 0, he obviously does not prepare the team well as they are undisciplined, turnover prone and lack focus and energy. He never seems to do anything. He stands there and claps at field goal attempts. He never dresses Ben down for his idiotic decision making and poor throws. He let the RB position become a joke, and the worst of all, he presided over a Steeler D that is ranked 13th in sacks. 17th in INT, all against very suspect opponents who were mostly offensively challenged. He's supposed to be a D coach no? What exactly has he done? He held a clipboard as his ready made team coached by Lebeau beat an extremely suspect Arizona team that had no defense at all. He was thoroughly outcoached in SB vs. GB and again against Denver last playoffs. He is just not deserving of the praise he gets.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #48
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

Quote:
Go ahead and take a look at the Patriots draft during that same period, and tell me if they have fared any better in the late rounds than the Steelers. And also, Keenan Lewis was drafted in 09', and has become a pretty solid NO.2 CB for us this year.
are the patriots out of the playoffs too because of poor late round draft picks too?
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #49
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Just as Cowher's job was safe even though he had three consecutive years of missing the playoffs in the late 90s. I even think he got an extension after one of those years too.
i bet the rooneys new cowher never quit on his team and had them motivated to play although not having a team with lots of talent
Old 12-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #50
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBobbleHead View Post
I'm confused. Are you suggesting Tomlin, not Colbert, has done the drafting since Cowher left?
DB's??? Ike has been a top corner for years now. He just isn't recognized because he can't catch the ball. Would be hard for any DB to come in and supplant him. Lewis has been solid this year. The more experience Allen and Brown got the better they looked. I thought those 2 guys played outstanding yesterday.
tomlin has drafted the good players, colbert the bad..........