Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Seems pretty clear to me. We lost 5 out of the last 6 because of FAILURE at the QB position. The first 3 Ben was out and the lone win was the result of Batch's stellar performance. The last 3, all losses, Ben played putrid. In clutch situations he CHOKED every time. And throughout the games, the offense was quite frankly offensive. Pathetic.

You can call for Tomlin to be fired, bitch about Haley's offense, complain about the D's lack of turnovers and sacks, or whine about the injuries to the O line all you want. But the absolute truth is that we lost 5 of 6 because of failure at the QB position. I don't know what was wrong with Ben the past 3 weeks. He didn't seem to have lingering effects from the injury. Maybe he was distracted by being a new father. Whatever the cause, the QB position is the one thing that let us down.

I mean after all, Tomlin is who he is. He didn't change the past 5 weeks. No one has been happy with the O Coordinator for the past several years and the O line is always banged up. The QB position is the root cause of this collapse.
desertsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

He didnt play well. Not sure why as I still consider Ben a top qb. In fact I put him only behind Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees then Ben based on career accomplishments.

This year the whole team seemed out of whack on offense. I honestly think a lot had to do with the regression of our "young money" wr corpsthey either dropped passes or fumbled what they caught. Plus, they had a hard time getting any seperation which is why Heath Miller had a big year with a ton of targets. Miller is a check down not a #1 option.

He had an off year as did all our wrs and all our running backs.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,645 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
He didnt play well. Not sure why as I still consider Ben a top qb. In fact I put him only behind Brady, Rodgers, Manning, Brees then Ben based on career accomplishments.

This year the whole team seemed out of whack on offense. I honestly think a lot had to do with the regression of our "young money" wr corpsthey either dropped passes or fumbled what they caught. Plus, they had a hard time getting any seperation which is why Heath Miller had a big year with a ton of targets. Miller is a check down not a #1 option.

He had an off year as did all our wrs and all our running backs.
The Young Money crew needs to be broken up IMO. We need 3 separate WRs that are willing to lay it on the line to work hard and POSSESS the ball. Then worry about big down field plays or YAC. Back to the basics. Wallace needs to go first and foremost.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

We certainly struggles at the end of the season offensively. I'm not so sure I blame it solely on the QB spot. We fumbled , dropped passes way too much for my liking.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Brown is a goid WR but I think he is overpaid. We signed him after last season thinking that we were getting a deal because if he took another step forward this season he might want even more money. Well he didnt take that next step and is making a lot of money for his stats. I like him but he is overpaid and way to cocky. Ben has been playing poorly but I think he wilk play better if we put better players around him. Tomlin im very displeased with this year.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

1 and 5 down the stretch? One simple reason. Ben was injured and then came back timid and uninspired. "We know how important this game is. If the young guys don't get it from the look in my eyes, I may talk to them on the sideline." That is NOT going to cut it. Where was the fire?! Hell, where was the fire from the entire team?!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Blonde Bomber
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7829

The lack of a solid running game hurt us. I am glad we got a look at what Dwyer and Redman so there were no false hopes. I am not sure whatever happened to the Mendenhall that hit the line hard, but I am tired of seeing him dance at the line. A good running game opens up so many possibilities for the QB and Wideouts, hell even Weeden and his WR's looked decent when Richardson was having a good game.

After the last few weeks, I had to keep reminding myself that even a decent running game would keep the chains moving and start beating their Defense down, instead of it being the other way around. Our wide receivers would be the envy of many teams if we could actually sell some play action pass.

How has a dink and dunk offense helped our QB I ask?
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blonde Bomber For This Useful Post:
steelbad@50 (12-26-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
DoctorCAD
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10385

Putrid game planning by a group of coaches that would be fired from a junior high school.
DoctorCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Ben played poorly, there's no question about that.

But as for who to blame, I put it all on Haley and Tomlin.
When Haley was hired, I said that the worst thing he could do would be to try to turn Ben into a pocket passer or some type of game-manager and that's exactly what he did and Tomlin did little to stop it from happening.

Arians saw in Ben what many people see which is a player who actually prefers to improvise and who plays better when there's no specific plan. He knew that Ben sees the field better when he steps out of the pocket and he allowed him to do that, which is why Arians was often criticized for not seeming to have much of a game plan at all.

But Arians knew that if he tried to keep Ben home, he would lose his creativity and his spontaneity and become a rather boring player and that's exactly what's happened under Haley. That's why Andrew Luck is doing so well because in many ways he's a lot like Ben in that he also likes to "make it up as he goes" and he's had tremendous success in doing just that.

Some QB's are meant to be managed but every now and then a guy comes along who does his best work without a script and Ben is one of those guys. Arians knew it and didn't so much try to game-plan as much as he simply tried to let Ben be Ben.
Haley is too controlling and wants everything to be "his" way and Ben (along with the team) has suffered as a result.
stb_steeler (12-24-2012), Terminator (12-26-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
jaygorius
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde Bomber View Post
The lack of a solid running game hurt us. I am glad we got a look at what Dwyer and Redman so there were no false hopes. I am not sure whatever happened to the Mendenhall that hit the line hard, but I am tired of seeing him dance at the line. A good running game opens up so many possibilities for the QB and Wideouts, hell even Weeden and his WR's looked decent when Richardson was having a good game.

After the last few weeks, I had to keep reminding myself that even a decent running game would keep the chains moving and start beating their Defense down, instead of it being the other way around. Our wide receivers would be the envy of many teams if we could actually sell some play action pass.
I think you really nailed it. We keep hearing about Ben playing so poorly (which he did) but I think a lot of it was because of the running game going no where. You need balance and can't go run run pass each drive if the runs get nothing
jaygorius is offline   Reply With Quote