Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #61
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

You know a lot of you are upset because it's been four years since the Steelers have won a super bowl - and a lot of that blame falls on Ben's shoulders. Not sure if it's always right to blame the QB for that, but that's generally just how it is in today's NFL.

So following that logic, Ben must be better than both P. Manning and Brady. Been 6 years since Peyton won his only SB, and it's been 8 years since Brady won his last. Obviously, Ben has gotten it done more recently than either of those two.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #62
steelbad@50
Draft Prospect
 
steelbad@50's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: atlanta, georgia
Posts: 149
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14816
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

For me its simple, our run game was inconsistent all season long. Just look at our ranking, 26th. Thats horrible for this team. Blame the O line for not opening up the needed holes, or not having a true #1 back. For whatever reason our run game needs to be fixed or we will see a repeat of another lackluster season next year. BLACK & GOLD FOREVER !!!
__________________
We don't buy NFL stars...........WE MAKE THEM!!!
steelbad@50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #63
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 68
Member Number: 18077
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Ben played poorly, there's no question about that.

But as for who to blame, I put it all on Haley and Tomlin.
When Haley was hired, I said that the worst thing he could do would be to try to turn Ben into a pocket passer or some type of game-manager and that's exactly what he did and Tomlin did little to stop it from happening.

Arians saw in Ben what many people see which is a player who actually prefers to improvise and who plays better when there's no specific plan. He knew that Ben sees the field better when he steps out of the pocket and he allowed him to do that, which is why Arians was often criticized for not seeming to have much of a game plan at all.

But Arians knew that if he tried to keep Ben home, he would lose his creativity and his spontaneity and become a rather boring player and that's exactly what's happened under Haley. That's why Andrew Luck is doing so well because in many ways he's a lot like Ben in that he also likes to "make it up as he goes" and he's had tremendous success in doing just that.

Some QB's are meant to be managed but every now and then a guy comes along who does his best work without a script and Ben is one of those guys. Arians knew it and didn't so much try to game-plan as much as he simply tried to let Ben be Ben.
Haley is too controlling and wants everything to be "his" way and Ben (along with the team) has suffered as a result.
I'm not sure what you consider "tremendous success" when you refer to a QB, or are you just referring to Luck?
He has just over a 50% completion percentage and while he has thrown for 21 TD's he has also thrown 18 INT's.

In retrospect, even though Ben played abysmal since his return from injury, he still managed to throw 23 TD's (3rd most in his carreer) while only throwing 8 INT's ( 2nd fewest in his carreer).

To answer the original post question, IMO a lot of it had to do with poor coaching desicions.
1st game against ravens Leftwich injures himself on the 2nd play of the game. Shoulder and ribs. His body language told anyone who saw him that he was in excruciating pain. The coaches continued to try and have him throw the ball even while the running game was averaging almost 5 yards per carry.

Cleveland game can't all be blamed on coaches because they were not the ones who fumbled 8 times. Where I do put blame on them was it was obvious they did not have Charlie ready to go.

bolts game the team as a whole was not ready to play. Terrible game planning and execution.

cowboys game, if I remember correctly, Tomlin once again had some horrific clock management to end the game.

bengals game, terrible play calling from the O. Run, run, pass wasn't getting it done. The series that killed me the most was our first possession of the 2nd half. The D had just gotten an INT setting the O up around the bengal 35 yard line. We got, run for minimal gain, run for loss, pass for a sack taking them out of field goal range. The rest of the 2nd half did not get any better.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #64
FrancoLambert
Team President
 
FrancoLambert's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: tony soprano's neighborhood
Posts: 2,033
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20827
Thanks: 1,999
Thanked 1,687 Times in 876 Posts
My Mood: Crappy
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

"He's making his list and checking it twice...."

In no particular order:

1) OL......a broken record around here.
2) Abyssmal special teams play......another broken record.
3) No running game (see #1).
4) A D-line that exerts no pressure on the QB, the 3-4 seems to be a dinosaur in today's NFL.....you have to have the ability to pressure the QB without blitzing.
5) Questionable in-game coaching decisions (there's a few to choose from).
6) A QB who seems to have lost a bit of "fire" in his belly.
7) Injury after injury. (Are the team trainers the least bit culpable?).
8) Some young egos running amuck at the WR position.
9) Age.
10) Not enough turnovers from our D and TOO many from our O.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #65
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,210
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 306
Thanked 609 Times in 339 Posts
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
"He's making his list and checking it twice...."

In no particular order:

1) OL......a broken record around here.
2) Abyssmal special teams play......another broken record.
3) No running game (see #1).
4) A D-line that exerts no pressure on the QB, the 3-4 seems to be a dinosaur in today's NFL.....you have to have the ability to pressure the QB without blitzing.
5) Questionable in-game coaching decisions (there's a few to choose from).
6) A QB who seems to have lost a bit of "fire" in his belly.
7) Injury after injury. (Are the team trainers the least bit culpable?).
8) Some young egos running amuck at the WR position.
9) Age.
10) Not enough turnovers from our D and TOO many from our O.
I think you sum it up perfectly.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #66
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 7,508
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 55,921
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,910 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
"He's making his list and checking it twice...."

In no particular order:

1) OL......a broken record around here.
2) Abyssmal special teams play......another broken record.
3) No running game (see #1).
4) A D-line that exerts no pressure on the QB, the 3-4 seems to be a dinosaur in today's NFL.....you have to have the ability to pressure the QB without blitzing.
5) Questionable in-game coaching decisions (there's a few to choose from).
6) A QB who seems to have lost a bit of "fire" in his belly.
7) Injury after injury. (Are the team trainers the least bit culpable?).
8) Some young egos running amuck at the WR position.
9) Age.
10) Not enough turnovers from our D and TOO many from our O.
nice and simple, I like it.

1) OL- I blame injuries and inexperience for that
2) ST- have no answer for that one. coaches need to figure this out if we are going to be competitive
3) see 1 and 7 and 10
4) DL- I might be with you there
5) coaching- and outside of the game coaching, motivation, leadership all questionable
6) Rothlisberger- lost something after the injury, but I think we win or lose with BB
7) injuries- the main problem of this season as far as I see it
8) wr- for me that's still debatable. definitely question their focus
9) age- with some players retiring or being cut this should be about to change
10) Can't win consistently in the NFL w/out winning turnover battle
__________________
If I ever get mad and leave the forum I'm going to make the best meltdown thread ever. there's gonna be beavers, and tyrannosaurus's and donuts and the cookie monster and everything
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #67
desertsteel
Assistant Coach
 
desertsteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,239
Gender: Male
Member Number: 915
Thanks: 214
Thanked 557 Times in 291 Posts
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

IMO these big long lists are NOT the reason we went 1-5. They may be the reason we didn't go 6-0 down the stretch but not 1-5. Most of these games came down to 1 or 2 plays except the SD debacle. I realize that it makes you look smart to list 10 things but in today's NFL you're not gonna fix em all.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #68
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 7,508
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 55,921
Thanked 9,582 Times in 3,910 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
IMO these big long lists are NOT the reason we went 1-5. They may be the reason we didn't go 6-0 down the stretch but not 1-5. Most of these games came down to 1 or 2 plays except the SD debacle. I realize that it makes you look smart to list 10 things but in today's NFL you're not gonna fix em all.
we'll add that to the list as #11. Thanks for your input.
__________________
If I ever get mad and leave the forum I'm going to make the best meltdown thread ever. there's gonna be beavers, and tyrannosaurus's and donuts and the cookie monster and everything
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
desertsteel (12-26-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #69
FrancoLambert
Team President
 
FrancoLambert's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: tony soprano's neighborhood
Posts: 2,033
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20827
Thanks: 1,999
Thanked 1,687 Times in 876 Posts
My Mood: Crappy
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
IMO these big long lists are NOT the reason we went 1-5. They may be the reason we didn't go 6-0 down the stretch but not 1-5. Most of these games came down to 1 or 2 plays except the SD debacle. I realize that it makes you look smart to list 10 things but in today's NFL you're not gonna fix em all.
Maybe it is more of a "dismal season" summary and not specific enough to the thread question.

However, I did not take the time to compile this list to "look smart" as you say.

If that's your take...OK, but I'll inform you......I don't think most of us post here "to look smart." We post to share ideas, thoughts, opinions, dabble in friendly arguements, second guess and enjoy what it means to be a diehard fan of a great team and organization. When I post here, it's for fun.

On a football note....if you are a GM or coach, you DO try to "fix em all."
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #70
desertsteel
Assistant Coach
 
desertsteel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,239
Gender: Male
Member Number: 915
Thanks: 214
Thanked 557 Times in 291 Posts
Default Re: Why did we go 1-5 down the stretch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Maybe it is more of a "dismal season" summary and not specific enough to the thread question.

However, I did not take the time to compile this list to "look smart" as you say.

If that's your take...OK, but I'll inform you......I don't think most of us post here "to look smart." We post to share ideas, thoughts, opinions, dabble in friendly arguements, second guess and enjoy what it means to be a diehard fan of a great team and organization. When I post here, it's for fun.

On a football note....if you are a GM or coach, you DO try to "fix em all."
I didn't mean it as a slight and I don't disagree with any of your points. Some teams try to fix them via free agency (you know creating a "dynasty" like the Eagles LMAO) and other teams like the Steelers try to fix them via the draft and coaching. From that standpoint, most of the criticism on this board is directed at the drafting and coaching. It's pretty easy to identify the problem but less easy, even for experts, to fix them. 75% of the 32 teams in the NFL have not done it as well as the Steelers in recent history and 100% of the teams have not done it as well since Super Bowl I. Therefore, it's a little ridiculous to continue reading on these board how the Steelers don't know what they're doing (not directed at you).
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts