Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Madden: Ben's at fault, but he's not the only one

http://www.timesonline.com/columnist...775ba67c3.html

Madden: Ben's at fault, but he's not only one
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:47 pm | Updated: 11:54 pm, Sun Dec 23, 2012.

By Mark Madden Special to The Times | 0 comments

Ben Roethlisberger blew it. Are you happy? Itís what you wanted, right? Enjoy the moment. Glory in it. Wallow in it. Bring up the bad past. Forget the good past. Call the talk shows. (Donít forget mine.)

Ben lost the game. He threw a pick-six. He tossed the interception that set up the Bengalsí playoff-making field goal at the gameís death. Ben played badly.

This town hates star quarterbacks. You alienated Terry Bradshaw for years. You never pass up a chance to diminish Roethlisberger. Some of the rumors freely spread about past Pittsburgh quarterbacks canít even be recounted here.

You want defense. You want to run the ball. The Steelersí president wants the same things, dictating such to the coaching staff.

You got half-a-loaf at Heinz Field yesterday. The ďStats CurtainĒ defense went well beyond numbers, posting three takeaways, six sacks and six more tackles for loss. The Bengals averaged less than a yard per carry on the ground.

The Steelersí running game? Meh. Just 3.1 yards per carry. The saving grace was Rashard Mendenhall. You donít like him, either.

So, Ben blew it. You have that hatred to keep you warm all winter.

Me? Iím still a Ben guy. Iím making fun of you, not him. Figure that out yet?

Sure, Roethlisberger lost the game. Heís not played great since returning from injury two weeks ago. But the glory of his career rivals that of Bradshaw. I remember Super Bowl XLIII. I remember that pass to Santonio Holmes.

If you donít, thatís because youíve always wanted an excuse not to.

Be honest: The Steelers arenít playoff-caliber. Theyíre poorly assembled, poorly coached and poorly managed. Theyíre a team that has trouble being led. This season has been an unmitigated disaster.

The Steelers didnít miss the playoffs yesterday. The Steelers missed the playoffs when they lost to Oakland, Tennessee, Cleveland and San Diego. Ben didnít lose all those games.

The Steelers missed the playoffs because they entered the season with a professional cripple as the No. 2 QB and a 37-year-old man at No. 3. Everyone remembers Charlie Batch beating Baltimore. What about the two games they lost (including one at Cleveland) while Roethlisberger was hurt?

The Steelers missed the playoffs because the coaches mangled the running back position. Mendenhall is quality. When healthy, he never should have been benched, let alone scratched. He should have started and got the bulk of the work. Mendenhall proved it yesterday with 50 yards on 11 carries.

The Steelers missed the playoffs because the ďYoung Money CrewĒ underachieved. Drops. Imprecise routes. Ego. The Steelersí receivers are punks.

The Steelers missed the playoffs because until yesterday, the defense rarely made plays. Yesterday was great. Yesterday wasnít nearly enough.

The Steelers missed the playoffs because of bad coaching. Game plans, in-game decisions and adjustments: It was all bad. Examples are too numerous to cite.

And yeah, Ben played rotten yesterday.

The Steelers have some big names that may be past their sell-by date. Their talent level is overrated, especially by management.

The chaotic coaching must be sorted out. Yes, that includes offensive coordinator Todd Haley being a bad fit for Roethlisberger. How is Bruce Arians doing at Indianapolis? He didnít retire after all, did he?

The Steelers donít need leaders. The Steelers need their younger players to accept leadership. To listen.

The Steelers need team president Art Rooney II to leave football to the football people. He hasnít. Thatís where a lot of these problems started.

More than anything, the Steelers need to admit their mistakes.

Thatís not going to happen.

So get ready for empty platitudes, ďthe standard is the standard,Ē and the perpetuation of outdated philosophies and skewed priorities. Itís a quick-strike league, but the Steelers will keep attempting gradual suffocation. Being right will continue to be more important than doing the right thing.

Get ready for 8-8 or 7-9 again next year. Maybe worse.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
defence (12-24-2012), steelbad@50 (12-27-2012), SteeleReign (12-26-2012), SteelWarrior69 (12-27-2012), therocksteeler (12-24-2012), ZoneBlitzer (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful
Default Re: Madden: Ben's at fault, but he's not the only one

Why does Pittsburgh hate star QBs?
ZoneBlitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

"The Steelers don’t need leaders. The Steelers need their younger players to accept leadership. To listen." I agree with you on this statement. However, through them listening and taking direction their own leadership should be developing.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,134 Posts
My Mood: Fine

"The WRs are punks" Best part of that whole article IMO.

Where was our "#1" WR yesterday? Oh yea, disappeared in big games yet again. Wallace can just leave - his "big play potential" isn't worth the way his attitude crept into the rest of the WR corps. For every person defending him, there are 2 Steelers fans I know that would rather see Cotchery have more chances over him.

You can keep your speed and potential. I want someone who is going to catch the ball and get back in the huddle. Possession is something that is sorely underrated by Steelers fans. For all the defenders out there - our WR corp hasn't made the difference in big games since AB's helmet catch v. Ravens in 10' playoffs. Who can we rely on right now? Heath is the best receiver on the team, and he isn't even built like a TE/WR hybrid nor is his role similar. That says an awful lot.

I disagree about Mendenhall - he can still go.
Ben is responsible for the last 2 weeks, plain and simple. I agree - the defense didn't show up until @ Cincy game really. Down, then up, then down - story of the season.
It's getting to be too long a time since a playoff victory ladies and gents . . , something getting to be habitual with this team and it isn't good.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
pittpete (12-24-2012), wootawnee (12-26-2012), WVABE (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

It's a good thing Cleveland didn't get RGIII or we'd be in the AFC North cellar for the next 10 years
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (12-24-2012), plenewken (12-24-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Blonde Bomber
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7829

I definitely agree that Cotchery is underused. He just seems to catch the ball when it is thrown to him, might be his flaw in this offense.

How has a dink and dunk offense helped our QB I ask?
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
Because Yinzers prefer "smash mawth footbawl".
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
I don't know, but i'm getting tired of it. There's blame all over the damned place to go around.

When Bradshaw played here, he was scorned and vilified his entire career here (yes, even through the SB wins...).
It wasn't until well after this career was over, that he was really accepted as both a great player and a legend here.

Now, Ben, while not as hated as Bradshaw was, is put under the microscope for everything and every word he utters is twisted, turned, super-over-analzyed, and regurgitated into something that he either didn't say or didn't mean.

Then go right down the line. O'Donnell, Stewart, Brister, etc, etc, etc. All hated.
Pittsbugh should be happy they have such a great QB.
If you watch a media darling like a P. Manning, Brady or another, their offensive line lets those guys sit back there ALL day long to throw and they still throw more int's than Ben does.
Yes, he threw an INT to put the Bengals in great field position, but there's a hundred other things more wrong with this team than a QB mistake.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Yes, he threw an INT to put the Bengals in great field position, but there's a hundred other things more wrong with this team than a QB mistake.
It's not only the INT, it's numerous under throws or over throws. I'm not saying the blame lies only on Ben's shoulders, but when Wallace or Brown have to stop running (or worse, go back) to catch a pass, their speed means sh*t.
Ben has never been an accurate passer, so let's design plays that leverage his strengths not his weaknesses.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plenewken For This Useful Post:
caseydog (12-30-2012), lardlad (12-27-2012)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Twentyvalve
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18796

I agree with most of that. I think he wrote it to emphasize the anger towards BR by fans, when in fact, the Steelers have problems in both depth and breadth from the bottom up that need fixed. I like the concept and timbre of the article. What good is a Teutonic and history tradition stepped in tradition if the most visible aspect of the organization, the team, has been going out week after week with the same problems for years?

These problems include injuries, losing in the fourth quarter, coaching controversies, and a total lack of output with the amount of talent on the team. I wish Tomlin would just for once say he is pissed. I don't need him to act pissed, because if he actually says it I will believe him. As much as he accepts responsibility, which for us fans might ring hollow, I think he means it. But at the same time, it is he same response and gesturing. Just tell us you are pissed and do something about it.

Losing is one thing, losing sucks. But to lose the same way, in the same manner, 5 times a year is unacceptable. Especially when pointing up the anemic amount of points the Steelers have over the last two years.
Those are the most insightful words I have heard from Madden. Ever.
Twentyvalve is offline   Reply With Quote