Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
SteelerJay
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16041
Default Tomlin and Ben are killing the franchise

Yes, I know, we have won with Tomlin and Ben, a great Super Bowl, so can't knock them for that. These two, when their game is on, can work wonders.

The problem is, when their game is off, they can kill a season. They have killed more seasons than Super Bowls.

Case in point:

1) Ever since he got here, Tomlin insists in playing injured Ben even when he's ineffective. It's like some sort of blind allegiance. Maybe it''s to have an excuse if the game is lost. Who knows. Remember Ben against 49'ers last year? He could hardly walk but he starts. Apparently, Iron Man Ben insists on playing. Result? Season goes downhill. This year, Ben goes South in December.

There are two capable backup qb's on the roster but Tomlin goes with the injured starter regardless, and sticks with him through thick or thin.

2) Why the next man up philosophy does not apply to the QB position?

3) the Offensive game plans are plain offensive. No effective counter strategies or mis-directions based on the opponents strength and what the opponent is doing well in the game.
SteelerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default Re: Tomlin and Ben are killing the franchise

Is there a moron section that this can be moved to?
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
Danny136200 (12-30-2012), harrison'samonster (12-29-2012), JeromeBetties63 (01-01-2013), Justp94 (12-29-2012), NSMaster56 (12-31-2012), pittpete (12-29-2012), TRH (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

You have to play your money man...Batch and lefty are not full time winners.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,243 Times in 4,112 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Tomlin and Big Ben make mistakes like everybody else. But to say that they are killing the franchise is a bit out there.

You are right, we've never gotten a decent backup to push Ben. And yes, the SF game was a mistake, but hopefully this team learns from its mistakes.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
SteelerJay
Draft Prospect

maybe some of you don't watch the caliber of qb play in the rest of the league to understand what a poor job our qb did this year....not saying it's all his fault, definitely injuries and new OC contributed significantly to this season's demise

but if there's going to be that bravado of the 'standard is the standard' and that the Steelers simply reload every year, well one has to be able to take the criticism when it crashes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,243 Times in 4,112 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJay View Post

but if there's going to be that bravado of the 'standard is the standard' and that the Steelers simply reload every year, well one has to be able to take the criticism when it crashes
those are just sayings. In reality, like Steeltheone said, Ben has been our only QB that gives us a consistent chance at winning. I like Batch and Lefty, but they are backups.

I agree with you that there have been mistakes. But I can't possibly see how these two are killing this team.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
SteelerJay
Draft Prospect

ok, so Ben is a 100 million dollar qb in this league, with the likes of Peyton and Eli, Brady, Rivers etc.

new crop of qb's in the league - Newton, Griffin, Luck, Wilson, Tannehill etc... - all looking great

Ben should be in his prime all now...... is he?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,698 Times in 690 Posts

Unbearable. Unreadable. My skull can't handle it anymore. Stupidity.

Here's the thing, we beat Cleveland Sunday, we go 8-8. .500. That's not a losing season. You have SUFFERING franchise's (like Cleveland) who put on 4-5 win seasons yearly and rarely EVER sniff a playoff positioning. Our SUFFERING of a franchise, in our most PITIFUL of seasons, are 8-8, .500 records. I really don't think some of you would be worthy enough to go through shit like most fanbase's do.

We're in a transition year. A season like this was bound to happen. This team is WAY too talented not to rebound. I expect our coach's to act accordingly, fix the problem and go to work.

As for Ben, just some weeks ago, he was getting recognition of being the league's MVP for Christ sake! The team hit a pot-hole, Ben went down with injury and we were never the same. Lets give this team a chance to gel as an offense for consecutive seasons before writing guys like Ben Roethlisberger off!

Shame shame.
AndyWitmyer (12-30-2012), kent (12-29-2012), LambertWardSteel (12-30-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Bill Cowher's Jaw
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18472

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerJay View Post
ok, so Ben is a 100 million dollar qb in this league, with the likes of Peyton and Eli, Brady, Rivers etc.

new crop of qb's in the league - Newton, Griffin, Luck, Wilson, Tannehill etc... - all looking great

Ben should be in his prime all now...... is he?

He was looking pretty good until the injury so yeah..I'd say he's in his prime. Look, there's no use crying over spilled milk. He sucked after he returned from injury. We missed the playoffs because of him. Fine. But it's over now. Move on to next year. To say he's "killing the franchise" is just silly. Would you rather have Flacco, Cutler, or one of those other middle-of-the-road guys? I wouldn't. And yeah Luck, Wilson, and RG3 look good now (Newton and Tannehill don't) but let's see how many Super Bowls they get their team to over the next decade before we "crown their asses"
Bill Cowher's Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cowher's Jaw View Post
He was looking pretty good until the injury so yeah..I'd say he's in his prime. Look, there's no use crying over spilled milk. He sucked after he returned from injury. We missed the playoffs because of him. Fine. But it's over now. Move on to next year. To say he's "killing the franchise" is just silly. Would you rather have Flacco, Cutler, or one of those other middle-of-the-road guys? I wouldn't. And yeah Luck, Wilson, and RG3 look good now (Newton and Tannehill don't) but let's see how many Super Bowls they get their team to over the next decade before we "crown their asses"
Come now, these people won't accept that. They gotta bash the star QB relentlessly and run him out of town like they did with Bradshaw.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote