Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #161
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Despite his play tonight, the rest of his tape almost solidifies him as a top 15 pick. He'll go to the Saints or Chargers. He won't be there at 17, but that might not be such a bad thing. Dion Jordan, Arthur Brown or Barkevious Mingo for us at 17, please.
Did you watch Ansah? He's also regarded as a high upside but raw talent like Jordan and Mingo.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #162
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,158 Times in 4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Did you watch Ansah? He's also regarded as a high upside but raw talent like Jordan and Mingo.
I've watched a little bit of it and, for the most part, I liked what I saw. I wasn't impressed or blown away, but he seemed to be good - not great - when given the opportunity. There's two knocks on him, though: 1) he's a little big to be a 3-4 OLB. He's 6'6 270 and best projects to me as a 4-3 DE. He reminds me a little bit of JPP in terms of his size and strength, but not production. 2) he's raw, like you said. Mingo and Jordan are both considered 'raw' prospects, but they're leaps and bounds more ready for a 3-4 system than Ezekiel is.

I don't expect the Steelers to take a shot at him unless our defensive scheme changes. If we do in fact change to a 4-3 scheme then there's a very good chance we take him. All that being said, I think he'll go to the Giants in this years draft.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
kan_t (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #163
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
I've watched a little bit of it and, for the most part, I liked what I saw. I wasn't impressed or blown away, but he seemed to be good - not great - when given the opportunity. There's two knocks on him, though: 1) he's a little big to be a 3-4 OLB. He's 6'6 270 and best projects to me as a 4-3 DE. He reminds me a little bit of JPP in terms of his size and strength, but not production. 2) he's raw, like you said. Mingo and Jordan are both considered 'raw' prospects, but they're leaps and bounds more ready for a 3-4 system than Ezekiel is.

I don't expect the Steelers to take a shot at him unless our defensive scheme changes. If we do in fact change to a 4-3 scheme then there's a very good chance we take him. All that being said, I think he'll go to the Giants in this years draft.
Don't Ansah Play 3-4 DE in college? ... I think he'd be a great 3-4 DE ... but can't afford to take another one of those ... unless Hood moves to NT, which just wouldn't be smart

But they really need to take Chance Warmack , leaps and bounds better then Colon and or Foster ... Imagine a run game behind Warmack , Pouncey, Decastro , Adams

will be another top 10 talent guard that will fall cause guards aren't regarded as high as other positions ...

Fingers crossed no Te'o please
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #164
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
Don't Ansah Play 3-4 DE in college? ... I think he'd be a great 3-4 DE ... but can't afford to take another one of those ... unless Hood moves to NT, which just wouldn't be smart

But they really need to take Chance Warmack , leaps and bounds better then Colon and or Foster ... Imagine a run game behind Warmack , Pouncey, Decastro , Adams

will be another top 10 talent guard that will fall cause guards aren't regarded as high as other positions ...

Fingers crossed no Te'o please
The difference between a 3-4 DE in the collegiate level and the NFL is substantial. He's just not big enough and would get absolutely man-handled against the bigger and better tackles/guards in the NFL.

We don't need another OLinemen. We need to stop panicking and getting worried about our offensive line - they haven't even played together when they're all healthy yet. I absolutely cannot stress that point enough - we need to let them play as a healthy unit before taking yet another linemen in the higher rounds.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if we took Te'o. Look, players have bad games. While he doesn't necessarily look like an elite prospect this game, his prior play and other games on film have pretty much solidified him as a top-15 pick. All these comments on Twitter of 'I can hear his pockets getting lighter' and etc. are from people that just don't know any better. Look at previous drafts and tell me that everyone in the top-15 had excellent games throughout their final year in the collegiate level. Te'o's worst game just came at the worst possible time - on a national level in front of most of North America.

edit -- Also, something that's getting lost in the noise of Te'o's poor performance is the game that Nico Johnson is having. He's playing very well and is looking more like the Nico Johnson from last year, not this one. We might have to use a third round pick to snag him, but it would be a great pick. If we were to get someone like Mingo in the first, Amerson in the second and Johnson in the third, our defense would be set. Then, we could shift focus to offense if we so choose.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #165
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
The difference between a 3-4 DE in the collegiate level and the NFL is substantial. He's just not big enough and would get absolutely man-handled against the bigger and better tackles/guards in the NFL.

We don't need another OLinemen. We need to stop panicking and getting worried about our offensive line - they haven't even played together when they're all healthy yet. I absolutely cannot stress that point enough - we need to let them play as a healthy unit before taking yet another linemen in the higher rounds.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if we took Te'o. Look, players have bad games. While he doesn't necessarily look like an elite prospect this game, his prior play and other games on film have pretty much solidified him as a top-15 pick. All these comments on Twitter of 'I can hear his pockets getting lighter' and etc. are from people that just don't know any better. Look at previous drafts and tell me that everyone in the top-15 had excellent games throughout their final year in the collegiate level. Te'o's worst game just came at the worst possible time - on a national level in front of most of North America.
I've never seen an elite prospect when watching Te'o

Why not need another Oline ... who is better unless a pass rusher falls??...
Warmack is head and shoulders better than Colon and Foster ... not to mention he is a Leader

Foster = Great backup , OK starter ... you expect a lot of holes with him?
Colon = Over rated , never healthy , Penalties, horrible contract extension

LG is a need , and to be able to get a top 10 Player in the draft ... is better than reaching on potential at a "position of need or sexier pick"

let PPL play ... why not let Worilds actually play, or Chris Carter(Injury Prone too) , before you just phase them out
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #166
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:

Warmack is head and shoulders better than Colon and Foster ... not to mention he is a Leader

LG is a need , and to be able to get a top 10 Player in the draft ... is better than reaching on potential at a "position of need or sexier pick"

let PPL play ... why not let Worilds actually play, or Chris Carter(Injury Prone too) , before you just phase them out
Te'o was overrated to begin with. Notre Dame doesn't play many tough teams. LBs on the bottom tier SEC teams are in his class.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #167
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

We don't need to keep taking offensive linemen in the high rounds because they haven't played together yet, man. We haven't seen the line of ...

Gilbert - Foster / Beachum - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

... yet and thus we don't need to take any more OLinemen. Let's see how this line does and then decide whether or not we have to rebuild our line.

You said a couple of different things in the last few sentences, so you're going to have to clarify a little bit, but here's what I got:

It's not about taking a 'sexy pick', it's about addressing our defense first because of the decline in play of aging veterans. Our defense needs to be the first 3, maybe 4, picks in the draft this year. This ties into Jason Worilds and Chris Carter - they haven't shown anything yet. Worilds has shown he can play LOLB, but he struggles mightily on the right side which is what he was drafted for. If he can't replace Harrison, he has no business playing on this team.

It just so happens this year that a 'sexy pick' is also our biggest need. Sometimes it just works out that way.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #168
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Yeah I can't really defend trading up for Te'o after that game, but I still think we should take him at 17 if he's there over a pass rusher. His instincts and playmaking skills are ridiculous and he would thrive in our defense. He's not the best athlete so his stock will fall even further at the combine, but his smarts and instincts are what will make him an elite ILB at the next level, just like Ray Lewis (who I know we all love to hate but Te'o is of the same mold without the ego and murder). His failure to wrap up tackles in this game today were completely uncharacteristic of his play all season and I don't think this one game where literally NOTHING went right for anyone on ND warrants him in particular these "overrated" comments.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #169
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
His failure to wrap up tackles in this game today were completely uncharacteristic of his play all season and I don't think this one game where literally NOTHING went right for anyone on ND warrants him in particular these "overrated" comments.
I like your style.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #170
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Yeah I can't really defend trading up for Te'o after that game, but I still think we should take him at 17 if he's there over a pass rusher. His instincts and playmaking skills are ridiculous and he would thrive in our defense. He's not the best athlete so his stock will fall even further at the combine, but his smarts and instincts are what will make him an elite ILB at the next level, just like Ray Lewis (who I know we all love to hate but Te'o is of the same mold without the ego and murder). His failure to wrap up tackles in this game today were completely uncharacteristic of his play all season and I don't think this one game where literally NOTHING went right for anyone on ND warrants him in particular these "overrated" comments.
Exactly why I hope we draft him and the kid is a leader.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote