Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 AM   #51
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,282
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 6,393
Thanked 11,772 Times in 4,803 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Let me propose a counterpoint and/or food for thought: if those other 16 teams base their draft on BAP (as opposed to need), wouldn't Te'o be drafted in the top 10???

That's a good point, no doubt. But, look at it this way, too. How many of those teams are as fortunate as us that they actually can draft in the BPA mode? I mean, most of the 16 teams ahead of us are now forced to pick and choose specific players and holes to fill on their roster. Teams like Buffalo, New York, Kansas City, Arizona and (possibly) the Eagles have multiple holes just on their offense but most glaringly - Quarterback. I have a feeling most, if not all, of those teams will reach for a QB in the first round. Other teams have the possibility of losing multiple franchise guys and have to build for the young Quarterback they already have. Take Miami, for example. There's a good chance they'll make a play for Mike Wallace but that isn't enough. The 'Fins might have to pinpoint and target an offensive Tackle or Guard in order to give Tannehill protection. Or, they go Wide Receiver.

The only team I can see having a legitimate option and being in play for Te'o are the Saints. With Vilma's cap hit and the drama surrounding him, they might not be so keen on bringing him back. If they do decide to part ways with him and Te'o is sitting on the board, I don't see a way they don't take him. That, sadly, is a very likely scenario and one I can see playing out.

Most - if not all - of the teams ahead of us are forced to pick and choose specific positions to fill. We're in a unique situation here in that we're picking high-ish and have the ability and freedom to pick in the BPA mode. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I like being in this situation. The freedom of who to pick is nice and the ability to take a player - regardless of position or need - because of his elite skillset is something we haven't been able to do in a long while. Whoever we decide to pick (Te'o, Okafor, Van Noy or Jordan are the most likely candidates) we're fixing a hole but also taking an elite prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent View Post
Isn't Bernard the highest rated rb as of now? I'd love to see him fall to us though. If a guy like Montee Ball or Bell is available in the mid rounds I think we need to take them.
He absolutely is. But, a lot of teams and scouts now aren't very keen on taking a Running Back in the first - or even second round - because it's starting to look like they're a dime a dozen, even in the later rounds. I very much doubt another team is going to make a play at him before we're able to, even in the second round. If there was a team to do so, it would be the Jets. However, I can see the next GM of the Jets taking someone like Eddie Lacy in the second round over Giovani Bernard due to the running style and scheme the Jets have in place (i.e, power run).
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 AM   #52
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 808
Member Number: 24000
Thanks: 192
Thanked 504 Times in 268 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

I'm starting to lean towards teo if he fell out of top ten I think we would strongly consider trading up. If teo was drafted not only would he be a great fit but I feel like it would allow us to take the leash off Timmons and let him blitz more and cause havoc with his speed. Timmons is held into coverage a lot because Foote isn't all the great and it doesn't allow us to use Timmons in the best way
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #53
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 66
Member Number: 24488
Thanks: 12
Thanked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

If we could get Mingo or Te'o in the 1st and then have a stud safety fall into our laps in the 2nd round I'd feel a lot better about our defense moving forward
Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #54
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

I don't watch college football so I looked up Barkevious Mingo - he had 4 sacks this year was he hurt or something and missed games?

Anyways I think Teo will be there IF he has a bad combine which is likely. I don't think he will be a workout warrior and that counts for a LOT to some teams.

If that is the case I hope he is drafted.

I don't watch college football so I really can't say who should be drafted but Teo has excellent instincts and would make a great addition.

OLB is a reach in round one. I think Worilds will do the job but depth will be required.
Woodley needs to get back on track!

S is a huge need.

I think you go BPA and draft ILB/S/CB.

CB would replace Taylor eventually. S would replace Clark/Polamalu imminently. ILB is a need.
__________________
Lloydwoodson's Top 5 Posters of All-Time:

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 AM   #55
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,310
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 24,304
Thanked 25,706 Times in 10,416 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
That's a good point, no doubt. But, look at it this way, too. How many of those teams are as fortunate as us that they actually can draft in the BPA mode? I mean, most of the 16 teams ahead of us are now forced to pick and choose specific players and holes to fill on their roster. Teams like Buffalo, New York, Kansas City, Arizona and (possibly) the Eagles have multiple holes just on their offense but most glaringly - Quarterback. I have a feeling most, if not all, of those teams will reach for a QB in the first round. Other teams have the possibility of losing multiple franchise guys and have to build for the young Quarterback they already have. Take Miami, for example. There's a good chance they'll make a play for Mike Wallace but that isn't enough. The 'Fins might have to pinpoint and target an offensive Tackle or Guard in order to give Tannehill protection. Or, they go Wide Receiver.

The only team I can see having a legitimate option and being in play for Te'o are the Saints. With Vilma's cap hit and the drama surrounding him, they might not be so keen on bringing him back. If they do decide to part ways with him and Te'o is sitting on the board, I don't see a way they don't take him. That, sadly, is a very likely scenario and one I can see playing out.

Most - if not all - of the teams ahead of us are forced to pick and choose specific positions to fill. We're in a unique situation here in that we're picking high-ish and have the ability and freedom to pick in the BPA mode. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I like being in this situation. The freedom of who to pick is nice and the ability to take a player - regardless of position or need - because of his elite skillset is something we haven't been able to do in a long while. Whoever we decide to pick (Te'o, Okafor, Van Noy or Jordan are the most likely candidates) we're fixing a hole but also taking an elite prospect.
As always, you're making a ton of sense.

Still, I see FOUR strong possible landing spots for Te'o.

1. LIONS
They need a CB, but at 5, there isn't a CB that makes sense. I could see them going Te'o, and then going CB at the top of R2.

2. CHARGERS
They really need O-line help, but they also have needed an ILB for nearly six years... and, Te'o reminds fans out in SD a whole lot if Junior Seau.

3. SAINTS
As you outlined.

4. RAMS
Not that the Rams would take Te'o, but as you mentioned, Jeff Fischer like to trade down & acquire more picks. The NYGiants need an ILB, and the Rams would only have to drop down five spots (while picking up an extra R3 pick). In other words, "a team trading up & taking Revis right before the Steelers pick"... part II.

TOP SEVENTEEN
Going along with what you mentioned (QBs & WRs going early), I usually make a list if players who a) I'd like for the Steelers to draft, and b) players who WILL go top 17, but the Steelers won't draft.

Will go/not for Steelers:
1. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
4. Mike Glennon, QB, NC St.

Possible Steelers picks:
1. Manti Te'o, ILB, ND
2. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
3. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
4. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
5. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
6. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

Please, add to this list...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #56
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,310
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 24,304
Thanked 25,706 Times in 10,416 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Will go/not for Steelers:
1. Geno Smith, QB, WVU
2. Matt Barkley, QB, USC
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
4. Mike Glennon, QB, NC St.

Possible Steelers picks:
1. Manti Te'o, ILB, ND
2. Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
3. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
4. Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah
5. Bjoern Werner, OLB, Florida St.
6. Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

"Could" be the pick, depending on The Colon (& whether Gilbert switches to LG, & if Starks returns):
1. Chance Warmack, LG, Alabama
2. Jake Loekel, LT, Texas A&M
3. Tyler Lewan, LT, Michigan

It might be a tad high, but I really want:
1. Matt Elam, S, Florida
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #57
Kingmagyar
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 943
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16118
Thanks: 14
Thanked 200 Times in 107 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

I know we have been after a #1 safety in the draft for awhile now including myself, but the Steelers are in a world of hurt at the receiver postion going into next season if their starters are Antonio Brown and an injury prone Emanual Sanders. It's hard enough for any rookie receiver to make an impact his first year let alone we won't be playing the FA game very hard.

Any suggestions on a worthy WR pick at 17?

And if we only would have lost against the Browns I think we would be drafting with the 11th pick!
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 PM   #58
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 16,310
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 24,304
Thanked 25,706 Times in 10,416 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I know we have been after a #1 safety in the draft for awhile now including myself, but the Steelers are in a world of hurt at the receiver postion going into next season if their starters are Antonio Brown and an injury prone Emanual Sanders. It's hard enough for any rookie receiver to make an impact his first year let alone we won't be playing the FA game very hard.

Any suggestions on a worthy WR pick at 17?

And if we only would have lost against the Browns I think we would be drafting with the 11th pick!
I say NO to a WR.

But, to answer your question.

Keenan Allen, Cal (10-20)
Justin Hunter, Tenn (15-25)
Tavon Austin, WVU (25-35)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #59
stiller39
Draft Prospect
 
stiller39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 135
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4832
Thanks: 57
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

It early as the season just ended but I predict the stillers will draft.............. drum roll..............

THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!

its the stiller way.
stiller39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #60
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,282
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 6,393
Thanked 11,772 Times in 4,803 Posts
Default Re: Who to draft in 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
I know we have been after a #1 safety in the draft for awhile now including myself, but the Steelers are in a world of hurt at the receiver postion going into next season if their starters are Antonio Brown and an injury prone Emanual Sanders. It's hard enough for any rookie receiver to make an impact his first year let alone we won't be playing the FA game very hard.

Any suggestions on a worthy WR pick at 17?

And if we only would have lost against the Browns I think we would be drafting with the 11th pick!
There isn't a WR worth picking in the top 20 in my opinion. This class of receivers is fairly weak, unfortunately. That being said, I wouldn't mind us taking Robert Woods in the second or Da'Rick Rogers in the third. Rogers is arguably the most talented receiver in this class, but due to character issues and maturity concerns, he's dropped off some boards. We could use this to our advantage and potentially find a number one receiver in the third round (again).

If you're looking for a number one safety, our best bet in the first round would be Kenny Vaccaro. While I'm against taking him this high due to the amount talent in the secondary in this draft, I can see how it would address a need for this team. I wouldn't mind taking someone like Amerson in the second and McDonald / Lester in the third if we go that route, though.

Teegre, I'll get back to you on your post. Just have to do some reading first on different team needs and etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I don't watch college football so I looked up Barkevious Mingo - he had 4 sacks this year was he hurt or something and missed games?

OLB is a reach in round one. I think Worilds will do the job but depth will be required.
Woodley needs to get back on track!.
Mingo had a down season for a number of reasons. The biggest one I can point to is the fact that most of the time (or, at least appeared that way) he was asked to contain and not disrupt. The best example of this I can give is the game against A&M. He was going against Luke Joeckel the entire game, and for the most part, got his ass handed to him. That being said, for the majority of the game it looked like he was asked to contain Manziel and not let him make a play outside the pocket instead of getting to him and disrupting the play.

There are two big holes in his game. The biggest and most glaring one is the fact that he's too fast. He can get to the quarterback with so much speed that sometimes, it gives the QB an open lane on his left side to run or make a play. Speedy OLBs like him can easily be handled by Tackles like Thomas from Cleveland. He also doesn't use his arms effectively enough to disengage from strong Tackles and struggles against the run.

However, all that being said, he's a freak. He's an absolute freak of nature. He's so fast and so agile that he'll be able to just run around most LT's in the NFL and make them look silly. He's a little on the tall side being 6'5, but he uses his speed and body to maneuver around Tackles and get to the Quarterback. If he learns to use his arms properly, him and Woodley are going to wreak havoc on Quarterbacks.

I disagree greatly on the fact that OLB isn't a need. In fact, it's the biggest need on this team. Worilds hasn't shown he can do anything as a WS 'Backer and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by SteelersCanada; 12-31-2012 at 02:00 PM.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts