Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Talks resume -- not that they matter to Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
Ike wants to stay in Pittsburgh............Ike wants an 8 figure signing bonus.

That equation does not compute.
I agree. The nice and warm comments coming from Taylor are great, but Ike has the option of walking up to his agent and stating "Let's get this done and out of the way with. The FO feels that I need to prove myself for another season before getting that big contract.". That's if in fact he really wants to stay in Pittsburgh and back up what he stated in the above article.

I understand it's a business, but I would rather Ike stay mute instead of reading his comments pertaining to how much he loves Pittsburgh and how he wants to stay with this team, but yet a number has not been agreed upon. Once again, talk is cheap.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-15-2006 at 07:29 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #12
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

I think it just shows that taylor isnt the type to slam his team / FO in the papers or media and is saying the right things.. but obviously yes, HIM AND HIS AGENT want a certain amount of money that they fee he is do, so this whole .. I wanna stay in Pittsburgh crap doesnt really mean much to me. Alot of players want to stay in Pittsburgh, we have one of the best organizations in all of Pro Sports, we are normally in the playoffs with at least a chance to go to a SuperBowl in most years and we have tons of young talent to make this team a very very good team for another decade at least.

But when is said and done, most leave cause someone else offers em more money. Alot depends on Colclough i think.. if the Steelers feel he will come around this year.. then we already have Townsend and McFadden and Colclogh to fight for those spots and we have no pressing needs ( from the looks of it ) in the upcoming drafts for the next few years so we could take a couple of corners with our first picks if needed.

I am not sure what to think of Ike just yet, other than i dont think he is one of the best corners in the league at this point and i sincerly think he has a few years before he will be ( if ever ) held in that regard. The way Fitsgerald made him look silly sure doesnt bode well for him at this point.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #13
Pier2.0T
Water Boy

Member Number: 2425

True. Taylor's bargaining position is diluted by McFadden and Colclough presence.
Pier2.0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #14
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm really hoping that Ike and the Steelers FO can work something out, but if they don't, they just don't. Ike has played, and has the future opportunity to play, for an organization that has been and still is held in the highest regard by the majority of the NFL - an organization that treats its players like family instead of just another employee. He has the opportunity to grow with this team chock full of talent and with some hard work and continued solid play, he can make a diffference, but when all is said and done - it's all up to Ike. He's a very good young corner, absolutely - but I think the Steelers' position here is wanting to see if he can keep up his pace from last season or if he is a one-year wonder before upping the anty. From a business standpoint, that makes perfect sense to me.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Kimo. ARE. Hope. Didn't they say similar things last year? In the 10 years since free agency started, how many Steeler players said warm and fuzzy things about staying, only to sign with another team? Sorry, but I'm not getting my hopes up just because Ike says he wants to stay.

Ike wants a huge signing bonus. He won't get it here, since we have too many big contracts coming up. I'm not trying to be all gloom and doom, just being realistic. This is why the Steelers are perennial contenders....they use common sense when dealing with player salaries.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #16
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

yeah, i think Plax even said it ... before he got sent packing and then badmouthed us. I think is just one of those things players say that the agents tell em to so that is all good publicity.
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #17
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

I <3 Ike
Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #18
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

But at what price? Do we take the gamble of paying him big after one good season (even though I don't see it happening) and having him not perform on the same level as he did last season? Then we are screwed. Kordell Stewart anybody?

Or do we stand our ground, put the offer out there and if he bites he bites; If he doesn't, he walks.

I tend to be on the cautious side when it comes to matters such as these. It's a very tough decision eitherway after watching him play last season but I'm not sure it's worth the gamble of handing out a huge contract over one good season of football.

Once again, Ben, Troy, Starks, Parker with hands open now and in the near future.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-15-2006 at 03:29 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #19
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
As with every athlete, talk is cheap.

I'm going to wait and see how talks between Ike's agent and the Steelers FO pan out over the next year.....

Exactly. Glad he is saying the right things though.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #20
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I hope he holds true to what he says....I would love to see us get IKE a little cheap