Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,408 Times in 4,446 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Steelers’ Hampton, Starks not ready to hang it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
Personally I think they'd be nuts to can Starks.
it really wouldn't so much be a case of "canning" Starks, he is an UFA and we need to re-sign him. after the good season Starks had we may have some competition for his services and the Steelers don't like to get into bidding wars.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Nobody saw how well Hampton played towards the end of the year? By the first Baltimore game he was back to driving his guy into the backfield. When Hampton was back to 100% he played well. Watch the coach's film if you have NFL rewind, Hampton played well from the midpoint on and played even better towards the end. Who's going to replace him? McClendon? Maybe, but if they were confident in McClendon they wouldn't have went for Ta'Amu. If we draft another NT he won't start, which will leave us needing Hampton for another year. He didn't mind taking a pay cut this time around either. I'm not saying he's as good as he used to be or that he's a top NT, but he had some games where he played close to it. Let's not forget he tore his ACL in January.

As for Starks, it's as common sense of a move as it was last year, keep him. I don't care if we have excellent starting Tackle's, this offensive line can't jog to the sidelines without getting injured, so as long as Starks isn't asking for a lot, it's a no brainer.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,384 Times in 2,095 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

It's time for Hampton to get his snacks elsewhere.

Regarding Starks, it's like Groundhog Day. He will always be back.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,408 Times in 4,446 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Steelers NT Casey Hampton Open To Playing Elsewhere Next Season

Steelers NT Casey Hampton has been a staple of Pittsburgh’s defense for the past 12 seasons, but the 35-year-old is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and there has been plenty of attention paid to the overall age of the team’s defense unit.

Hampton appears to be more than aware of the situation that he’ll be faced with in March, but believes he was two more years left in him.

“No question, I can see myself playing somewhere else,” said Hampton, per the Beaver County Times. ”But I definitely would not want to go anywhere else. Why would I want to do that?“

Hampton grades out as one of the worst nose tackles in the league, according to Pro Football Focus. The good news is that he’s still a serviceable run defender, but he offers nothing in regarding to interior pass rush at this point in his career.

The Steelers must get younger on defense, so it makes sense that they would move on without Hampton next season. Pittsburgh should try to get Steve McLendon and Alameda Ta’amu to take the next step in their development, instead of hoping that Hampton is capable of returning to his previous form.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...eason/12518803
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers NT Casey Hampton Open To Playing Elsewhere Next Season

Steelers NT Casey Hampton has been a staple of Pittsburgh’s defense for the past 12 seasons, but the 35-year-old is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season and there has been plenty of attention paid to the overall age of the team’s defense unit.

Hampton appears to be more than aware of the situation that he’ll be faced with in March, but believes he was two more years left in him.

“No question, I can see myself playing somewhere else,” said Hampton, per the Beaver County Times. ”But I definitely would not want to go anywhere else. Why would I want to do that?“

Hampton grades out as one of the worst nose tackles in the league, according to Pro Football Focus. The good news is that he’s still a serviceable run defender, but he offers nothing in regarding to interior pass rush at this point in his career.

The Steelers must get younger on defense, so it makes sense that they would move on without Hampton next season. Pittsburgh should try to get Steve McLendon and Alameda Ta’amu to take the next step in their development, instead of hoping that Hampton is capable of returning to his previous form.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...eason/12518803
I was hopping Ta'amu was gone for good.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #16
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

like starks a lot. I think he's our second best lineman. Hampton not so much. I prefer McClendon in there bad on what Ive seen from him this season.
lloydwoodson (01-09-2013)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,568 Times in 824 Posts
My Mood: Busy

Let Casey walk. He is too old, slow, and fat. We all watched the games.
Keep Max, I have more confidence in him than Adams or Gilbert to play at a higher level and remain healthy.
Plus I don't think he injures teammates.
FrancoLambert is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-09-2013)
Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

I feel both should be back pending the price. Neither is worth top dollar or anything near it. I would prefer to have McClendon at Center.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

I think Starks has earned to be re-signed.Frankly, I am not sure Gilbert, or Adams, is ready to play LT. Hell Gilbert continually got manhandled this year. If he wasn't taking out our own Oline he was on his ass. Question is can they come to turns on price? I don't see Starks agreeing to vet minimum again. His performance this year will garner him some attention from other teams.
As pointed out, too often Casey was handled by one blocker this year. In the 3-4 scheme that can't happen. He has to eat up blockers to free up the LBers.Has been a great Steeler but McClendon always seemed to make plays when in the game. If he doesn't eat up multiple blockers he atleast gets a push into the O backfield disrupting the play.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #20
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

I won't be upset if Hampton is gone. I think McClendon has shown that he may be the better NT anyway.

The Steelers can't let Starks go yet.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote