Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #31
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,417 Times in 4,799 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: RBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornaSteelersfan View Post

Redman and Dwyer are RFA's next year. That means we can either match an offer they get elsewhere or receive a draft pick for them.
we would receive only a 6th round draft pick for Dwyer and because Redman was an UDFA we would receive nothing in return if another team signed him to an offer sheet that we refused to match.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #32
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
This is off topic a bit but I was just watching the end of the Vikings-Packers agme and Adrian Peterson missed breaking the single season rushing record by 9 yards. When Pam Oliver told him, he genuinely didn't realize BUT didn't care! That's a class act! Why can't we grab an AP EVER! Instead we get a guy who thinks his political beliefs are more important than showing up on gameday and holding onto the ball! Damn is AP great! Really like the guy now!
AP will go down as an all-time top 10 RB (or even top 5). Getting an AP is like winning a lottery ticket.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #33
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,401 Times in 4,387 Posts

There hasn't been - and won't be for a long, long time - a Running Back prospect like Peterson in any recent drafts. The closest guy in college right now (and I'm using closest kind of fast and loose here) is TJ Yeldon from 'Bama. He won't necessarily have the yardage that AP did, but he was splitting time with Lacy and showed his exceptional play ability in the time he did play. In another two years, I wouldn't mind spending a first round pick on him - assuming we're in a position to do so. That, or spend a later-pick on Barry Sanders, Jr. I mean, he's the son of Barry Sanders - he's gotta be at least decent, right?
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #34
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
There hasn't been - and won't be for a long, long time - a Running Back prospect like Peterson in any recent drafts. The closest guy in college right now (and I'm using closest kind of fast and loose here) is TJ Yeldon from 'Bama. He won't necessarily have the yardage that AP did, but he was splitting time with Lacy and showed his exceptional play ability in the time he did play. In another two years, I wouldn't mind spending a first round pick on him - assuming we're in a position to do so. That, or spend a later-pick on Barry Sanders, Jr. I mean, he's the son of Barry Sanders - he's gotta be at least decent, right?
You seem to have a good grasp on college players coming out in this years draft,who would the Steelers be best bet on a Premier back? The problem I see is the offensive line,the guys can't run block to save their lives. Not an improved O-line this year but a productive starting running back is still a necessity
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #35
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,417 Times in 4,799 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
There hasn't been - and won't be for a long, long time - a Running Back prospect like Peterson in any recent drafts. The closest guy in college right now (and I'm using closest kind of fast and loose here) is TJ Yeldon from 'Bama. He won't necessarily have the yardage that AP did, but he was splitting time with Lacy and showed his exceptional play ability in the time he did play. I
TJ Yeldon is the real deal, any back good enough to take carries away from Eddie Lacy as a freshman has to be a stud.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,401 Times in 4,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
You seem to have a good grasp on college players coming out in this years draft,who would the Steelers be best bet on a Premier back? The problem I see is the offensive line,the guys can't run block to save their lives. Not an improved O-line this year but a productive starting running back is still a necessity
It depends on what kind of back we're looking for. I also agree with the offensive line, but I will say when they're healthy I fully expect them to play better and be able to run the ball effectively. That being said, here are my top three Running Backs:

1. Giovani Bernard / North Carolina - 5'10 205 lbs.

- Where do I start with Giovani. He's explosive, fast, agile and quick. He can make absolutely ridiculous cuts in and out of traffic and has the ability to make guys miss, but also has the strength to run guys over. He has some of the best vision I've seen in a long, long time for a RB coming out of the collegiate level and stands out in this weaker class of RBs. Oh, and to top it all off, he has excellent hands and runs crisp routes. This gives Ben an excellent check-down option and has the ability to make plays in the flat.

2. Eddie Lacy / Alabama - 5'10 220 lbs.

- Eddie Lacy is the definition of a Power-Back. The dude is just strong. He runs with an attitude and is hard to tackle. If you throw an arm out there, there's a good chance it'll either a) bounce off and he'll laugh at you or b) break because he's so strong (not really, but you get the point). He's also fast off the line of scrimmage and also has great vision. While he won't outrun anyone in the open field, he's the kind of guy that when it's 3rd-and-3 (or less) he's getting it. Every. Time. However, he's a stiff runner and lacks the finesse and 'cutback ability'. He'll lower his pads and run you over, but he won't be able to spin around you or juke you into next week.

3. Le'Veon Bell / 6'2 244 lbs.

- Think Eddie Lacy, but with a little bit more power. He doesn't excel in speed or breakaway ability, but he'll run your ass over if you get in his way. He's a solid runner up the middle and will drag defenders with him, but if he gets in open space, he's easily caught by a Safety or Corner that will bring him down. That being said, he'll break any arm tackle that is given to him and excels in yards-after-contact. I don't think he'll ever become a franchise running back, and really only made this list because most Steelers fans love the idea of a Power-Back. I doubt he'll be drafted by Pittsburgh, but hey, I wouldn't mind him as a 'go and get the first down on 3rd-and-2' kind of running back.

4*. Marcus Lattimore / South Carolina - 6'0 230 lbs.

* Why is Lattimore asterisked you might ask? That injury he suffered to his knee. If we're able to look past the injury, he's a North-South runner. He's powerful, strong and will drag guys with him that try and tackle him at the line of scrimmage. He's also surprisingly agile for such a big guy, but that's where his ceiling in terms of agility and speed stops. He doesn't have that extra gear to shift into when he hits the secondary and won't outrun anyone in the open field. He has a surprising amount of stamina for someone his size and can stay on the field for all three downs without having to be taken off. He's the definition of a 'work-horse' 'Back and can handle - and often times excel - with a high amount of carries. He's a good running back and an even better athlete. Think Willis McGahee.

Those are my top 3 (4) that will please most of Steeler Nation. If I were Steven Colbert, though, and I'm looking at Running Backs to help turn this ship around, there's two guys I'm looking at (three if I include Giovani):

Knile Davis / Arkansas - 6'0 225 lbs.

- I want this kid. The dude is just built and sturdy. He's a work-horse, and a very, very good one at that. His initial burst reminds me a lot of Darren McFadden at the line of scrimmage and will not only punish the guys in front of him, but he'll often times just run right by them without even having to look back. While he doesn't excel with speed, he's fast enough to pull away from guys at the line of scrimmage, dodge Linebackers and DLinemen and make a play in the secondary. He won't elude anyone or make anyone miss in the open field, but shit, he'll either run right over them or use his 'second-gear' to pull away from them. He doesn't have elite hands or great catching ability, but he does have average-to-decent ball skills out of the backfield and in the flat so Ben could have a legitimate option in the check-down game to Knile. The biggest flaw in his game that I can see is his lack of blocking ability. He just can't do it yet, but Kirby can teach it and beat it into him.

Mike Gillislee / Florida - 5'11 210 lbs.

- Chris Rainey's buddy at Florida. He's fast, agile and quick. He can make guys miss or just outrun them - it's really his choice or what he feels like doing. He doesn't have great side-to-side quickness, but his vertical speed and agility makes up for it. He's not a guy to shy away from contact up the middle, either, and if he gets into the secondary, he'll just pull away and leave the Linebackers behind him thinking "where the hell..?". When given the chance to start at Florida, he excelled. He can block, he can catch, he can run up the middle or outside the tackles - there's nothing he can't do, really. I'd love a 1-2 punch of Gillislee and Rainey for this team. One can provide blocking and a sure-handed ability to run it anywhere on the field, and the other is a scat-back type of player that can provide the big play or trick play when Ben feels up to it.

If I were drafting a Running Back tomorrow, I'd take Giovani Bernard in the second round. I know I've been preaching that this class is too defense-heavy to take a Running Back so early, but this kid can solve our problems at the position in one pick.

If you need any other scouting help or my opinion on possible picks for this years draft, feel free to ask.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #37
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,229 Times in 1,880 Posts

If Lattimore's knee hadn't exploded (youtube it if you're not squeamish)---twice---he'd be a nice fit.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #38
The_Joker
Team Owner

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,479 Times in 765 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
If Lattimore's knee hadn't exploded (youtube it if you're not squeamish)---twice---he'd be a nice fit.
That injury looked, bad, very bad, but not BAD. I say if he really is a good fit, try it.
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #39
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Hopefully next year we will have a stable offensive line from day one. If you have a patch work, banged up OL all year, it doesn't matter if you have Jim Brown as your RB.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #40
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,229 Times in 1,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
That injury looked, bad, very bad, but not BAD.
It's up there with Thiessman and McGahee.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote