Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #81
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,976 Times in 4,269 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Mike Wallace Has Likely Played His Last Game For The Steelers

Truth about a couple of Mike Wallace myths

Posted by Armando Salguero
The Miami Herald

In talking to various NFL people the last few days, including some Pittsburgh Steelers folks, I obviously asked about players the Dolphins might be interested in going forward in free agency. This is what I learned about likely free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace and how that lines up with myths we've all heard about him and some of you have posted on this blog:

Myth No. 1 -- Mike Wallace was so disappointing this past season he was benched by coach Mike Tomlin: False. During the week prior to the Dec. 12 game against Baltimore, Tomlin was clearly unhappy with his team's course and the production of some players. And so that week he announced that Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders would be listed as "co-starters" on the depth chart rather than Wallace being the guy. Wallace was coming off a disappointing game against Cleveland and Sanders was in the midst of good season so much was written about the changing of the guard, so to speak. Well on game day, do you know what happened? Wallace started against Baltimore. He was not benched. Wallace actually missed one start during the year -- that in the final week when he played only sparingly against Cleveland. The reason? He was troubled throughout the week with a hip injury and it prevented him from practicing and starting.

[Update: Looked at it further and Wallace actually missed the season-finale because of the injury. But, again, he was not benched.]

Myth No. 2 -- Mike Wallace runs only go-routes: False. While Wallace is primarily a deep threat and has not been used very often in routes across the field, his routes repertoire was expanded this season to allow him to use his world-class speed in other ways. He ran in-cuts and outs. Is he an expert at those routes? No, he probably needs improvement. But is that the best use of one of the NFL's best deep threat receivers? Fair question. Look, Mark Duper didn't run crossing routes. He was a deep threat, down the sideline guy. He averaged a whopping 17.4 yards per catch and 7.7 touchdowns per season over his career. Pretty good right? Wallace has averaged 17.2 yards per catch and 8 touchdowns per season so far. Any questions?

Myth No. 3 -- Mike Wallace drops passes: True. The guy dropped more passes this year than in past years. He dropped four passes in a game against Cincinnati. He blamed the issue on losing focus because the new offense instituted by offensive coordinator Todd Haley didn't always find him early on in games. Wallace said it was tough to play sometimes two or three quarters without a target and suddenly have the ball come to him. Excuse? I think so. On the other hand, name me a receiver that doesn't drop the ball sometimes.

Myth No. 4 -- Mike Wallace only cares about money and will disappear once he gets paid: Hard to be unequivocal here because this involves predicting the future. But I was told the guy is a hard-worker. I was told he is a good guy in the locker room. I was told he "cares about winning." I was told he is "a pleasure to work with." Does that guarantee he won't cruise once he gets paid? No. But he doesn't sound like someone who would be inclined to do that.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...#storylink=cpy
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #82
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,080 Times in 3,411 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

no problem with that article. I don't think Wallace is a quieter and from all I've heard his teammates love him. We could argue all day about how good he is or if he has potential to get even better, but the main question as I see it is: Is paying Mike Wallace going to help us win more games next year or over the next few years? Can we let him go and be better off? Ok that's two questions.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #83
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Thanks for the breakdown but it really has not bearing. Wallace is gone becasue we cannot afford him.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #84
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Myth No. 3 -- Mike Wallace drops passes: True.
How can it be a myth and true at the same time???
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #85
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,178 Times in 491 Posts

Jets open to trading Revis. In MAJOR need of speed and any sort of WR help on their football team. I'd have a draft day trade in store RIGHT NOW for the Steelers to go ahead, cut the dead weight and work out a draft day trade to send Wallace to N.Y in exchange for Revis.

But what am I kiddin, lmao.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #86
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
Thanks for the breakdown but it really has not bearing. Wallace is gone becasue we cannot afford him.
absolutely true.
The article is basically meaningless - because we can't afford him, won't afford him, and plenty of other teams will pay him more than we can.
Bye, Mike & good luck.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #87
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Myth No. 1 -- Mike Wallace was so disappointing this past season he was benched by coach Mike Tomlin: False.

Accurate. It was a gesture on Tomlin's part-- nothing else.

Myth No. 2-- Mike Wallace runs only go-routes: False.

He does run many kinds of routes besides go routes and streaks. As to how successful he is at it-- that is a whole other discussion....

Wallace has averaged 17.2 yards per catch and 8 touchdowns per season so far. Any questions?

That is because he never catches the ball if he is running anything other than a post or streak where he is basically uncontested in the open field. Put a defender near him and he drops the ball. He never makes the catch unless he is running a deep one, hence the YPC.

Myth No. 3 -- Mike Wallace drops passes: True. The guy dropped more passes this year than in past years. He dropped four passes in a game against Cincinnati.

Two of those passes he dropped would have been uncontested TDs-- the nearest defender was 5 yards off of him or more. All he had to do was come down with the ball.

He blamed the issue on losing focus because the new offense instituted by offensive coordinator Todd Haley didn't always find him early on in games. Wallace said it was tough to play sometimes two or three quarters without a target and suddenly have the ball come to him. Excuse?

That is one of the LAMEST fucking excuses I have ever read for poor performance. He should be canned just for uttering that warm, steaming pile of dung.

Ben has ALWAYS been one to spread the ball around. Nobody else seems to have had the same problem when their number is called (well...maybe except Nate Washington-- he had some bad hands too).

I think so. On the other hand, name me a receiver that doesn't drop the ball sometimes.

Heath Miller (and he's not even a receiver)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #88
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Good riddance! I have hoped for players to leave before and have missed them, like Farrior, but that's not the case with Wallace. I was hoping they didn't pay him this year and I based that on his non existent final 7 games in 2011. After seeing him constantly drop the ball this year, and then seeing him fumble when he finally did catch it was all I had to see, I'll be thrilled to see him leave. I don't care if he goes to the Pats or to the Ravens/Jets/Colts etc., he's not going to do any damage to us. If he can't catch passes from Big Ben then he won't come back to burn us with anybody else throwing to him. I'm tired of hearing about the potential he brings and the potential the offense has and how much talent we have on offense...it's nonsense, we've been 20th+ two years in a row now. A player with raw talent or blazing speed that never shows up when it matters and who can't even do the basics of his position is useless, we need football players not just talent.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #89
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,976 Times in 4,269 Posts
My Mood: Happy

I would love to see us draft this guy, may just have to change my mock draft to include him:

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: Wheaton has been the most impressive receiver at the Senior Bowl -- by far. The Oregon State product has displayed excellent speed, quickness and burst, routinely separating from defenders out of breaks. Most impressively, Wheaton has shown strong hands; he is an outstanding pass catcher in traffic. By showcasing the capacity to make plays at every level, Wheaton has created quite a buzz in the NFL scouting community.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...bowl-standouts
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #90
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I would love to see us draft this guy, may just have to change my mock draft to include him:

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State: Wheaton has been the most impressive receiver at the Senior Bowl -- by far. The Oregon State product has displayed excellent speed, quickness and burst, routinely separating from defenders out of breaks. Most impressively, Wheaton has shown strong hands; he is an outstanding pass catcher in traffic. By showcasing the capacity to make plays at every level, Wheaton has created quite a buzz in the NFL scouting community.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...bowl-standouts
I guess the question is do we has steeler nation want a tall wr like 6-2 to 6-4, or just another quality play maker?

Because Wheaton is only 5-11 and other wr this year who will be great next year are around 6-1 and below.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote