Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,844 Times in 4,489 Posts
Default Re: DJANGO UNCHAINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Great movie, but Jamie Foxx made Django unlikeable for me by the end, as did a few lines Tarantino wrote for him. Christoph Waltz as Dr. King Schultz was far and away the best part about the movie, with Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie and Samuel L. Jackson as Stephen a close second.

I'll be getting the DVD/Blu-ray the day it releases. It's probably tied with Reservoir Dogs as my favorite Tarantino movie.
i'll be getting it the day of release as well. its scheduled for late march-early april.

i totally agree about waltz stealing the show, and impressed w/ how much of the personality of col. hans landa carried over.

i thought the movie got suddenly a bit boring once dr. king shultz died, almost like the Django character couldnt carry the film. Im curious whether you found the character unlikable by the end or Foxx's performance? also curious about the lines that turned you off.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 3,437 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Re: DJANGO UNCHAINED

Both Jamie and the character turned me off.

Jamie because he's gone on racist tirades before, particularly the one against Howard Stern. It's not that I dislike racial humor, as Richard Pryor is one of my favorite comedians. But when I hear the garbage like I heard from his radio rant, it makes me wonder sometimes if it is humor or acting.

That said, it was the most minor problem, and he played the character well. What bothered me most was that the character didn't grow throughout the film. I never got the sense that he came to appreciate Schultz's efforts, considering all the sacrifice Schultz went through during the entirety of the movie. And Django sacrificing the slave to the dogs turned me off again, but admittedly, that could be because I am a huge Batman fan, lol, so take that with a grain of salt.

All this in mind, I wasn't bothered by the dialogue. I thought It was catchy, and if not for the constant use of the "N-word", would have been one of those largely quotable movies. Anything Samuel L. Jackson said had my sides splitting.

Edit: I'm not one of these overly-sensitive white guys who decries anybody who makes comments about race. I just don't dig the obsession he seems to have with race. I'm not offended by it, it just gives me a negative view of him, that kind of tainted Django's character for me.

Last edited by Bane; 02-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote