Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #261
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
IMO DeCastro is the best OG in the past decade. Warmack smothers people, but DD can pull & block in the second level like a 305 lb. FB. I have not seen an OL play like that since... Dermontti Dawson.

Trust me, I still want an OLB & a S... and an ILB. But, if Warmack drops, he has to be "considered."

The Viking had Chris Carter and Jake Reed, but Denny Green to the "BAP"... and Moss had a season for the ages. Likewise, the Steelers already have a solid O-line, full of young R1 & R2 draft picks... but, if Warmack is there, they have to consider drafting him (if they deem him to be the "BAP").

Lastly, this is a deep, deep draft for S. Not that I want them to wait this long, but they could get Rambo & Williams in R3 & R4 (maybe even R4 & R5). Make sense?
I also think that Swearinger will be available in RD2, we have a couple of immediate needs, IMO, and I don't believe OL is one of them. LB and safety top that list, with RB and WR coming in behind. All have to be taken somewhere and we cant pick all in Round 1, LOL. All this being said if Warmack drops he would be intriguing at 17. Either way I thnk we will have a pretty good draft with some immediate help.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick5895 For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #262
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,235 Times in 3,945 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Judgements: Jarvis Jones just one among group of boom-or-bust prospects

By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist
Feb. 23, 2013

Despite his immense talent, teams might stear clear of Jarvis Jones because of his spinal stenosis. (USATSI)

INDIANAPOLIS -- He didn't draw a Manti Te'o crowd, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be interested in what happens to Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones because there are a lot of teams that are.

And for good reason: He could be the best player in this draft.

But he's not, and he's not because of spinal stenosis -- a narrowing of the spinal canal -- that should make Jones and NFL clubs nervous. It caused USC to fail him on a physical, and it had doctors examining him for so many hours Saturday he didn't appear for an interview until after 5 p.m. -- or hours after the Te'o crush dispersed.

"Most of the doctors checked me out and feel that I'm fine," said Jones. "I feel that I'm healthy. The doctors feel like I'm healthy. So I'm excited."

That's great, except it's what tests reveal that matter. Jones admitted there was "no final word" from physicians and that he hopes to receive it by the end of this weekend or sometime next week. In the meantime, however, color his future uncertain.

"There's real concern," one scout said. "It's serious. I doubt that he's going to pass many teams' physicals."

That's too bad because the guy has so much talent that the same scout said he might make him his top draft pick ("certainly in my top five"), but that medical concerns worry him. And he won't be the only one.

"If doctors told me I couldn't play today, I think I've had a great run and I would just take it for what it's worth," said Jones. "It would hurt me [not to play]. I love this game. I'm passionate about this game. But I'd rather walk and enjoy myself and my family than not be able to walk away from this game."

2. Jones isn't the only Georgia linebacker under the microscope. Alec Ogletree is another. There are plenty of teams out there that can use someone of his ability, but it's not his ability that's an issue. It's his maturity.

"The guy's an immature idiot," said one player personnel director.

That's one way of putting it. Another is that he's a character concern, with last week's DUI arrest the latest blip on the radar. It wasn't his only arrest; only his most recent, and combine that with a four-game suspension for a positive drug test, and you have a risk some people may not be willing to take.

"I'm a good person," Ogletree told reporters. "Everybody makes mistakes. I feel bad about the situation, but I'm learning from it and I'm moving forward."

He may not be moving forward in the draft. Ogletree is a potential first-round pick who is explosive, strong, quick, and instinctive, and he could be a high first-round choice. But his recent arrest will back off potential suitors, with one scout telling me it could cause his team to pass on the guy.

"I don't know what it's going to do (to my draft status)," said Ogletree. "I feel bad about it. I'm really sorry about it, but I just have to move forward and take whatever I get."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...bust-prospects
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #263
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,471 Times in 7,380 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I also think that Swearinger will be available in RD2, we have a couple of immediate needs, IMO, and I don't believe OL is one of them. LB and safety top that list, with RB and WR coming in behind. All have to be taken somewhere and we cant pick all in Round 1, LOL. All this being said if Warmack drops he would be intriguing at 17. Either way I thnk we will have a pretty good draft with some immediate help.
I've seen Swearinger mocked everywhere from late R1 to R5. Regardless of when he goes, I like that kid.

Imagine a secondary with Elam & Swearinger as the safeties. Oh man!!! WRs would NOT want to go across the middle.

Now, I know that the rules favor DBs who are finesse (not slobber-knockers like Elam & Swearinger), but for me... I've always been a Rodney Harrison fan. Don't get me wrong: we don't necessarily want Lee Flowers... who could hit like a LB, but was a liability in coverage.

[Note: Flowers was once voted, by other players, as the second hardest-hitting player in the entire NFL. Not just the second hardest-hitting safety; the second hardest-hitting player at ANY position. Again, the dude "brought it."]

Tangent aside, the good news is that both Elam & Swearinger can cover just about as good as they can hit (e.g. Swearinger has played CB).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #264
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,093 Times in 3,894 Posts

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but it just showed Tomlin on the NFL Network's coverage of the combine and, man, sometimes I forget how much swag that guy has.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-03-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #265
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,093 Times in 3,894 Posts

Oh, and Charles Davis just said that Eric Reid is a very similar guy to one Ryan Clark. He was saying how Eric Reid and Tyrann Mathieu played a very similar game to Ryan & Troy. Tyrann would blitz and act on instinct, and Eric would take the over the top coverage and compensate for Mathieu's blitzing.

A cool comparison.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #266
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Oh, and Charles Davis just said that Eric Reid is a very similar guy to one Ryan Clark. He was saying how Eric Reid and Tyrann Mathieu played a very similar game to Ryan & Troy. Tyrann would blitz and act on instinct, and Eric would take the over the top coverage and compensate for Mathieu's blitzing.

A cool comparison.
No thanks to Mathieu...he benched a 4.... I think Reid would fit nicely.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #267
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,471 Times in 7,380 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

A cool comparison.
Good call on Reid. He is indeed more like Clark than like Polamalu. I had not thought if it that way. Thus, here are my tiered safety pairings:

1. Elam/Vaccaro... and Swearinger

2. Elam/Vaccaro... and Reid

3. Elam/Vaccaro... and Rambo/Williams

4. Elam/Vaccaro... and (insert R5 safety)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #268
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,235 Times in 3,945 Posts
My Mood: Amused

2013 NFL Draft Team Rumors: Picks 17-32

March 3, 2013

These are NFL Draft rumors for teams. When I see something, I'll post it here. Follow @walterfootball for updates.

Pittsburgh Steelers:

March 3: Dick LeBeau told the media that he wants to bring in a young safety. The Steelers met with Kenny Vaccaro at the Combine. - Behind the Steel Curtain

Feb. 28: "If LSUís Kevin Minter (6-0, 246) is available at No. 17, do not be surprised to see the Steelers take him with their No. 1 pick. That is more likely than an outside linebacker in the first round." - Gerry Dulac

Feb. 25: Word is the Pittsburgh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB. - Tony Pauline

Jan. 27: "Scratch LB Alec Ogletree off the list of candidates to be drafted by the #Steelers in the first round." - Ed Bouchette.

Jan. 27: The Steelers plan on drafting a quarterback at some point. - RantSports.com

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2...orsteams_1.php
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #269
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
2013 NFL Draft Team Rumors: Picks 17-32

March 3, 2013

These are NFL Draft rumors for teams. When I see something, I'll post it here. Follow @walterfootball for updates.

Pittsburgh Steelers:

March 3: Dick LeBeau told the media that he wants to bring in a young safety. The Steelers met with Kenny Vaccaro at the Combine. - Behind the Steel Curtain

Feb. 28: "If LSUís Kevin Minter (6-0, 246) is available at No. 17, do not be surprised to see the Steelers take him with their No. 1 pick. That is more likely than an outside linebacker in the first round." - Gerry Dulac

Feb. 25: Word is the Pittsburgh Steelers drooling over Ezekial Ansah/BYU as a 3-4 OLB. - Tony Pauline

Jan. 27: "Scratch LB Alec Ogletree off the list of candidates to be drafted by the #Steelers in the first round." - Ed Bouchette.

Jan. 27: The Steelers plan on drafting a quarterback at some point. - RantSports.com

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2...orsteams_1.php
The only worthy first round ILB is Ogletree and the Steelers are not going to pick him, given his off-field problems. If people are so down about Manti Teo's 40 yards performance, they shouldn't be happy about Minter's result either. He's just 0.01 second faster than Teo and I am surprise no one brings that up.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #270
Wallace17
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17793

I put this on another board but here are my pick's

1st round- Ezikel Ansah please please please do not pass on this guy. Hopefully he is still there If not take the risk on Javris Jones. I would not mind Ogletree or Dion Jordan Either. If none are availble take some offense. Cordelle patterson or Eddie Lacy would fit nice as well.
2nd Round- We do not get anything through offense at this point we need a back at this point Monte Ball fit our mold or Eddie Lacy. Lacy is the safe Pick but Ball has steeler written all over him. Im usally not wrong about running backs. I wanted Ray Rice when we had the chance to draft him over mendenhall. Good pick tomlin.
3rd round-Ok this is our round to grab a wide reciever I say Robert Woods all day this guy is a pure hands wide reciever. He was easily the best WR at the combine. If he is gone buy then Justin Hunter a big 6'4" guy the only thing that worrys me is another big WR like limas Sweed.
4th-Baccari Rambo we need to get younger at FS. Thats All i Am saying hey if hunter or woods are still availible take another wr would be a steal but we need to get younger at safety and rambo is a beast
5th- I know we proably already would have a running back by now but two isnt going to cut it take marcus Lattimore he would of prob been a first round pick if not for his knee.
6th- Jake stoneburner TE- Miller is hurt and pope sucks.
7th round- Denard robinson WR,QB and Mike Mutati ILB
Wallace17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wallace17 For This Useful Post: