Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #271
First2seven
Water Boy

Member Number: 24811
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I know this has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but it just showed Tomlin on the NFL Network's coverage of the combine and, man, sometimes I forget how much swag that guy has.
huh? I'd rather he had competence at drafting and developing defensive backs then coolness. Or get his team prepared properly. Too many time it seems they come out flat for big games. I mean Obama has swag but what is that getting us?
First2seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #272
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,498 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
It will be fun to watch Elam and vaccaro Tuesday.

As if right now cooper would be a better fit for our offense. I know warmack is going to be good but it's been said multiple times we want linemen who are quick and althetic. Cooper was a exceptional pulling guard and did very well in the positional drills, very quick feet and smooth. Cooper is a better scheme fit than warmack.
If we go OL in round one, Cooper is the guy. Warmack would have been a slamdunk pick in the Ron Erhardt days of smashmouth ball. No doubt a great player, but a Woody said, not a great stylistic fit.

All I can say about Cooper is, if you like what DeCastro brings to the table, Cooper will knock your socks off. Having two guys like this, PLUS the mobility of Pouncey could be almost revolutionary.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #273
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,498 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by First2seven View Post
huh? I'd rather he had competence at drafting and developing defensive backs then coolness. Or get his team prepared properly. Too many time it seems they come out flat for big games. I mean Obama has swag but what is that getting us?
Actually I'd be thrilled if he learned when to throw a challenge flag.....
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
cowherpower (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #274
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
If we go OL in round one, Cooper is the guy. Warmack would have been a slamdunk pick in the Ron Erhardt days of smashmouth ball. No doubt a great player, but a Woody said, not a great stylistic fit.

All I can say about Cooper is, if you like what DeCastro brings to the table, Cooper will knock your socks off. Having two guys like this, PLUS the mobility of Pouncey could be almost revolutionary.
I keep seeing that he has vaulted over Warmack due to the combine. I would love if he fell. Yes it would mean we have used a lot of high picks on O line but it'd be really nice to finally have a top ten unit to see if that will help Ben and the running game.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #275
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,236 Times in 3,946 Posts
My Mood: Amused

2013 Mock Draft: 'Moans for Jones' becoming a theme

By big_jay71 on Mar 7 2013, 12:00p 54

Injury concerns are always a big deal but just how much attention should we give to certain injuries? In the NFL just about the worst concern you can have are knee issues, particularly ACL tears. It's why South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore probably won't be drafted until the fifth round at the earliest event though he has first round talent. But what about non-serious, nagging injuries or health conditions that may not even affect a player? The first few picks for the Steelers could be players whose stock has fallen because of these issues and in my humble opinion the Steelers should jump on them.

Round 1:

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel OT, Texas A&M

Team needs: QB/WR/DE/S/ILB

The Chiefs traded for Alex Smith which means that Geno Smith is no longer an option. Star Lotulelei has a heart condition which should take him out of contention. Even though they franchised Brandon Albert this pick should still be Joeckel unless they sign Albert to a long-term contract.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Sharrif Floyd DT, Florida

Team needs: QB/CB/S/OT/OC

Because of his condition Star Lotulelei has been overtaken as the highest rated DT.

3. Oakland Raiders - Star Lotulelei NT, Utah

Team needs: QB/CB/RDE/DT

Oakland will take a DT, DE, Dee Millner, or Geno Smith with this pick. Star Lotulelei could fall a lot farther depending on his medical examinations.

4. Philadelphia Eagles - Eric Fisher OT, Central Michigan

Team needs: SS/CB/OC/OT

This pick should be Eric Fisher or Dee Millner depending on what the Eagles do in free agency regarding their CB situation.

5. Detroit Lions - DeMarcus Milliner CB, Alabama

Team needs: CB/DE/SS/OC/RT

The Lions always go with the best available player in the first round. Millner had an awesome combine and has leapfrogged the available DE's as the best player available.

6. Cleveland Browns - Ezekiel Ansah DE/OLB, BYU

Ezekiel Ansah made himself a lot of money at the Senior Bowl and with concerns over Jarvis Jones' spinal stenosis Ansah is not the top rated 3-4 OLB. With the Browns switching to a hybird 3-4/4-3 defense they'll need players who can ply both DE and OLB.

7. Arizona Cardinals - Lane Johnson OT, Oklahoma

Team needs: QB/LT/OG/OC/OLB

This should be the easiest pick to predict. Arizona's offensive line is terrible. Even with Geno Smith available they should still take a left tackle as long as one of the top three are available.

8. Buffalo Bills - Geno Smith QB, West Virginia

Team needs: QB/WR/RDE/ILB

Bills GM Buddy Nix has said they will try to land a franchise QB in this draft.

9. New York Jets - Dion Jordan DE/OLB, Oregon

Team needs: QB/RT/OLB/S/ILB

The Jets should take a rush linebacker as long as either Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah are available, otherwise they might take Cordarrelle Patterson.

10. Tennessee Titans - Chance Warmack OG, Alabama

Team needs: OG/OC/CB/DE

Tennessee needs interior offensive line help and a cornerback so this should be Chance Warmack as long as Dee Millner is gone.

11. San Diego Chargers - Jonathan Cooper OG, North Carolina

Team needs: CB/LT/OG/RB/OLB/NT

San Diego needs a lot of offensive line help and may trade up for Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson. Jonathan Cooper is a slight reach so the Chargers could take an OLB or simply trade back to get better value for Cooper.

12. Miami Dolphins - Cordarrelle Patterson WR, Tennessee

Team needs: WR/RG/LDE/S/TE

The Dolphins have an investment in Ryan Tannehill and will most likely use this pick to bolster the offense around him. They have some decent number two WR's but need someone to be the main guy.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Desmond Trufant CB, Washington

Team needs: CB/DT/SLB/RT

Tampa Bay's pick should be fairly easy. They had a big need for a CB even before they traded Aqib Talib to the Patriots.

14. Carolina Panthers - Sheldon Richardson DT, Missouri

Unless an elite talent falls like Dee Millner or Eric Fisher this pick will most likely be used on the highest rated DT. Given the Carolina doesn't have a third round pick they will probably trade back to pick up one and still get someone like Kawann Short.

15. New Orleans Saints - Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB, LSU

Team needs: OLB/NT/OG/SS

The Saints are converting to a 3-4 defense and will need another pass-rushing OLB to pair with Martez Wilson. The Saints have Akiem Hicks to play NT but could also take John Jenkins or Jonathan Hankins.

16. St. Louis Rams - Kenny Vaccaro S, Texas

Team needs:OT/OG/OLB/FS/TE

The Rams are out of luck for offensive lineman and should take Kenny Vaccaro or the highest rated WR here.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia

Team needs: S/ROLB/WR/LG/CB/NT

If Jarvis Jones falls to the Steelers here they should run to the podium to turn in their card much like they did for David DeCastro in the 2012 draft. He's an elite pass-rusher who falls because of concerns over his spinal stenosis but as long as he checks out from the medical staff it shouldn't be an issue. One thing the Steelers have lacked over the last few seasons are splash plays on defense and anyone who watched Jarvis Jones play this past season knows he has had at least a few in every game.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...rs-updated-new
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #276
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,236 Times in 3,946 Posts
My Mood: Amused

New Kiper Mock has the Steelers taking Tyler Eifert

By big_jay71 on Mar 11 2013

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper released a new mock draft today and has the Steelers selecting Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert with the 17th pick in the 2013 draft.

The father of modern NFL draft analysis Mel Kiper jr. has thrown a monkey wrench so to speak into the draft speculation of Steelers fans everywhere by proclaiming that the Steelers will select Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert in the first round of the 2013 NFL draft.

Here's what Kiper had to say about the pick:

"Mike Wallace might be exiting, but in Eifert the Steelers add a different kind of matchup headache for defenses. Eifert has the speed to stretch the seam and also develop routes to the edges, and can't be effectively covered by anybody. He's too tall for corners and safeties, too fast for linebackers."

It's quite an interesting scenario to say the least and one that Steelers fans should consider instead of balking at. In his mock draft all of the usual suspects are gone. Ezekiel Ansah to the Lions, Dion Jordan to the Browns, Jarvis Jones to the Bills, Mingo to the Jets, and Cooper to the Titans. The only player out of the handful that have been linked to the Steelers that would be available is Alabama guard Chance Warmack.

So from the Kiper analysis the question begs, could the Steelers use a Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski type to create nightmare matchups across the middle of the field? Also, do they need another tight end with Heath Miller on the roster?

Heath Miller is 30 years old and coming off of a brutal knee injury suffered at the end of the season, tearing his ACL, MCL, and PCL ligaments. Even if his rehab goes according to plan he won't be able to work out on that knee until July at the earliest and it's likely that he would miss the first month or so of the season if not more. In the short term David Paulson would be his replacement but he is a serious step down in talent. In the long term Tyler Eifert would be an excellent replacement for Miller.

Tyler Eifert was clearly the best tight end on the field at the combine. He measured in at 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, and managed to run at 4.68 forty yard dash. He is a complete player and will be the first tight end taken and a first round pick in the 2013 draft. The question is that if the available pass-rushers are all gone as well as Jonathan Cooper and Kenny Vaccarro should the Steelers take Tyler Eifert over the available wide receivers? He does come with less questions than Cordarelle Patterson (raw player), Keenan Allen (injury and drop in production), and Tavon Austin (lack of size).

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...g-tyler-eifert
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #277
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,701 Times in 1,117 Posts

So I've seen Kiper mock the Steelers to take Ansah and Eifert.

I've crossed both off my list as potential future Steelers.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #278
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,472 Times in 7,380 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I switched from the "tall WR" camp to the TE camp a few months ago. Not surprised at all.

The three big E's: Eifert, Ertz, & Escobar.

The first three rounds will be (in no particular order): OLB, S, and WR/TE.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #279
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,963 Times in 3,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I switched from the "tall WR" camp to the TE camp a few months ago. Not surprised at all.

The three big E's: Eifert, Ertz, & Escobar.

The first three rounds will be (in no particular order): OLB, S, and WR/TE.
I would guess we go TE before WR for several good reasons: Heath is getting older and is injured, Colbert believes it is just as good to draft WR later...well two good reasons. This pick would make sense.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #280
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13572

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Actually I'd be thrilled if he learned when to throw a challenge flag.....
And learns that a 24 point deficit is only a 3 score lead so going for two makes sense if you don't want to make it look like you're just giving up.
tmacsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote