Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #331
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,003 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
You should be doing the drafting for the Steelers.

Eifert is my favorite pick for R1. Austin is my next favorite, and then it would be Escobar in R3.

Woods or Rogers or Stedman Bailey, Terrance Williams, Ryan Swope, Quinton Patton, could be there when the Steelers pick in R3.

R2 you could take a S if somebody likes Elam falls, or OLB. R4 looks likes the round to take a RB.

So your draft looks like this:
R1: Eifert
R2: S or OLB
R3: WR
R4: RB

The Steelers had the #1 defense last season. The offense was #21. 27 passing TDs. Wallace and Heath accounted for 18 of those TDs. Of course, Wallace is gone and we don't know when Heath will be back.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. How is the Steelers offense going to be better rather than much worse to start next season?
I was thinking maybe
1. Tyler Eifert
2. Da'Rick Rogers(Stock rising fast after his pro day, and if he can keep his head straight he'll be the the steal of the draft)
3. Phillip Thomas
4. Marcus Lattimore
5. Jonathan Bostic

Btw defense is not that big of a problem as people think imo but replacements for the future does to to be made meaning Safety, LB & Corner
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #332
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,880 Times in 1,192 Posts

I'm hoping they grab Brian Schwenke. The Steelers need a guard. MAKE IT HAPPEN.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #333
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,281 Times in 4,395 Posts
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
and Schwenke has the type of positional flexibility that Tomlin likes, being able to play OG or OC.

most draft sites I've seen have him getting selected in the 3rd or 4th round...
Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #334
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
I was thinking maybe
1. Tyler Eifert
2. Da'Rick Rogers(Stock rising fast after his pro day, and if he can keep his head straight he'll be the the steal of the draft)
3. Phillip Thomas
4. Marcus Lattimore
5. Jonathan Bostic

Btw defense is not that big of a problem as people think imo but replacements for the future does to to be made meaning Safety, LB & Corner
Makes sense to me. It's reasonable to think your guys will be there when the Steelers pick, except for Bostic. I think he'll likely go in the 3rd, no later than the 4th. If you are going to go ILB in the R5, I think Michael Mauti from Penn State would be a guy you could get there. You can see that Hawaii 5-0 has him in R6 in his draft. I really like him, but it's a matter of if he can get past all the knee surgeries.

This is going to be the wildest and craziest draft ever, with a lot of moving up and down. But I think you have the right mindset as to what the Steelers priorities are, and where in the draft they might be best addressed.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #335
Bane
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
and Schwenke has the type of positional flexibility that Tomlin likes, being able to play OG or OC.

most draft sites I've seen have him getting selected in the 3rd or 4th round...
I think he'd be a more than viable candidate for starter at LG, if not a Legursky-type of player (potentially better).
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #336
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

We need someone who can come in and play well right away. We can no longer afford to sit a player for 3 years. Ben is 31 and has about 4 years left. Alot of you will say he has more but I doubt it. He is always hurt. He has only played one full season in his entire career. He gets sacked and hit more then most QB's and that will definitely effect the length of his career.

We all know how the 80's and 90's went without a franchise QB. You can't win in this league without a good QB. Ben has 4 years and we need to have an awesome draft if we want any chance of winning another ring before Ben retires and we slip back down to were we were before Ben.

With that said all I care is that we draft someone who can come in and help this team from the start. We really should go after a WR or TE to give Ben some more weapons. He brought our team back to relevance and we should stock up to help him go out with a bang. If we give him the weapons I'm certain he can bring us another title.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #337
JackH
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24722

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
We need someone who can come in and play well right away. We can no longer afford to sit a player for 3 years. Ben is 31 and has about 4 years left. Alot of you will say he has more but I doubt it. He is always hurt. He has only played one full season in his entire career. He gets sacked and hit more then most QB's and that will definitely effect the length of his career.

We all know how the 80's and 90's went without a franchise QB. You can't win in this league without a good QB. Ben has 4 years and we need to have an awesome draft if we want any chance of winning another ring before Ben retires and we slip back down to were we were before Ben.

With that said all I care is that we draft someone who can come in and help this team from the start. We really should go after a WR or TE to give Ben some more weapons. He brought our team back to relevance and we should stock up to help him go out with a bang. If we give him the weapons I'm certain he can bring us another title.
Exactly.

It's difficult for me to see how Tyler Eifert wouldn't help right from the start, whether Heath plays or not. Eifert can be split out, as he did at Notre Dame. You could actually see the Steelers run 3 tight-end sets with Heath and Spaeth, an awesome blocker but crap pass catcher, and Eifert split. On two tight-end sets, Heath and Eifert would be real dangerous. And of course Eifert would fill in for Heath until he gets back. Paulson is a 7th round draft pick and that's how he plays.

Heath had all 3 ligaments torn. Nobody can say with any degree of certainty when he'll be ready to go. Mendenhall just had the ACL torn. He came back the 5th game, but was never 100%, according to Colbert. You just don't know about Heath. And he was Ben's most effective weapon last season. And the next most effective weapon Wallace is gone.

There are several WRs I like with the Steelers first pick, but I'm not as convinced they will be as much of a factor from day one as Eifert could be.

I like some other TEs like Ertz in R2 and Escobar in R3, but those guys aren't as fast as Eifert and they wouldn't be as effective as Eifert spit out I wouldn't think.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #338
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I agree. The wide receivers in the first are good but there isn't any one person that stands out like Green or Johnson. Eifert would be an awesome pick. We could trade back to the mid to late 20's and grab him and another 2ND rounder
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #339
Bane
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I agree. The wide receivers in the first are good but there isn't any one person that stands out like Green or Johnson. Eifert would be an awesome pick. We could trade back to the mid to late 20's and grab him and another 2ND rounder
If we got another 2nd rounder, I would be far more than okay with Eifert.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #340
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Grab Schwenke and than move Pouncey to guard, and let Schwenke take the center

Gilbert - Pouncey - Schwenke - DeCastro - Adams

bring Beachum being a backup guard or tackle
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote