Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #351
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,360 Times in 4,375 Posts
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Mike Florio is an idiot. Geno Smith into the twenties?

He doesn't know his ass from his elbow.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #352
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,372 Times in 4,782 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Mike Florio is an idiot. Geno Smith into the twenties?

He doesn't know his ass from his elbow.
yeah, that's the one pick that stood out to me also as being absurd and showing how little Florio actually knows about football.

I don't see any way Geno Smith gets past Buffalo at #8.

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0; 03-25-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #353
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,532 Times in 8,890 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
See NFL website has Tavon Austin being mocked to us today. Would love either Jones, Austin, Vaccaro or Eifert.
Add Elam, and that's my list, as well.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #354
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
See NFL website has Tavon Austin being mocked to us today. Would love either Jones, Austin, Vaccaro or Eifert.
Can anybody tell me why you want Vaccaro. I mean I think he is such a raw talent as the other safeties in the draft and he will definitly go in the 1st round. And I don't know why his stock was falling now in the off season but I actually like Elam beter then Vaccaro.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #355
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
Can anybody tell me why you want Vaccaro. I mean I think he is such a raw talent as the other safeties in the draft and he will definitly go in the 1st round. And I don't know why his stock was falling now in the off season but I actually like Elam beter then Vaccaro.
His coverage skills are unbelievable.

He's not raw.

He was not asked to ballhawk at UT and when he was, he picked passes off.

He can play in the box and in coverage which reminds me a lot of Ryan Clark.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head why he's going to be an outstanding safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #356
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,152 Times in 579 Posts

Quote:

He's not raw.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head why he's going to be an outstanding safety.
If Vaccaro is there, I believe the Steelers will get him. However, I just do not think he is going to last til 17. I really think the Steelers need to add more early round picks. I would wait and see who falls but if the hot spot players get picked before 17, Steelers should trade down and maybe add a second 2nd rounder.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #357
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Quote:

He's not raw.

Really you wanna tell me now that the College play will always transpire to the NFL level. No it doesn't. I looked a bit of tape on him and to say he can play in the box is very prejudged I would say. Based on what I saw of him I didn't see a very outstanding play in the Box. I agree he has good coverage skills but to say he will adapt that 100% and very well into the NFL can't be said right now.

I don't say he is a bad player or he wouldn't be a good asset for us in the future but I would say that he isn't a "sure enough thing" so to say for us to draft him in the first round. Thats my point on Vaccaro.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #358
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler7BR View Post
Really you wanna tell me now that the College play will always transpire to the NFL level. No it doesn't. I looked a bit of tape on him and to say he can play in the box is very prejudged I would say. Based on what I saw of him I didn't see a very outstanding play in the Box. I agree he has good coverage skills but to say he will adapt that 100% and very well into the NFL can't be said right now.

I don't say he is a bad player or he wouldn't be a good asset for us in the future but I would say that he isn't a "sure enough thing" so to say for us to draft him in the first round. Thats my point on Vaccaro.
Go ahead and read any other post I've ever had regarding collegiate statistics and NFL success. I'll wait.

Oh, you're back and saw that I never once said and in fact was very vocal in saying they don't translate? That's funny.

The thing with Vaccaro is that he pretty much is a sure thing. I don't scout players on their stats or their college success, I scout them on film. What did they show me, game in and game out, on film that proves he can be successful in the NFL? Vaccaro was consistent in his play in coverage and this is something that can't necessarily be taught. His coverage ability blows any other Safety out of the water and it's not even close. His consistent play and his ability to come up and make the tackle in the box is something that can't be ignored.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'we're not sure it's going to translate' because, why wouldn't it? What has he shown you on film that would make you come to the conclusion that his coverage ability wouldn't translate? I'm not being aggressive as this conversation just got interesting and I'm wondering if I missed something on this kid. This kind of coverage ability doesn't simply diminish because he's going to the next level as, often times, it looked like he was going on instincts rather than a given play. His ability to blanket and his over the top coverage is truly impressive. This is a kid that has the potential to start immediately in our defense and if he's paired up with someone like Matt Elam, watch out.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #359
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
I scout them on film. .
And you just happened to have seen all of the Longhorn's games this season? Or are you saying you have exclusive game film on Vacarro?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #360
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Go ahead and read any other post I've ever had regarding collegiate statistics and NFL success. I'll wait.

Oh, you're back and saw that I never once said and in fact was very vocal in saying they don't translate? That's funny.

The thing with Vaccaro is that he pretty much is a sure thing. I don't scout players on their stats or their college success, I scout them on film. What did they show me, game in and game out, on film that proves he can be successful in the NFL? Vaccaro was consistent in his play in coverage and this is something that can't necessarily be taught. His coverage ability blows any other Safety out of the water and it's not even close. His consistent play and his ability to come up and make the tackle in the box is something that can't be ignored.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'we're not sure it's going to translate' because, why wouldn't it? What has he shown you on film that would make you come to the conclusion that his coverage ability wouldn't translate? I'm not being aggressive as this conversation just got interesting and I'm wondering if I missed something on this kid. This kind of coverage ability doesn't simply diminish because he's going to the next level as, often times, it looked like he was going on instincts rather than a given play. His ability to blanket and his over the top coverage is truly impressive. This is a kid that has the potential to start immediately in our defense and if he's paired up with someone like Matt Elam, watch out.
Actually I didn't wanna say that you think that college success always translate into the NFL I just said you brought his abilities up as they are a "sure" thing.

As for Vaccaro first of all I see and acknowledge that he comes up consistently in the box to make the tackle which is good but I think he is very inconsistent in making those tackles and further more he sometimes is vulnerable stepping up to soon to potential runs.

As for his coverage skills he is very good in zone coverage. He makes good plays in 1/3 and in 1/2 field zones which seems very good. His footwork is very impressive he has fluid hips and makes good and quick reads in coverage. I think he will be a good zone player in the NFL but I wouldn't say that it is a given right away. His man coverage seems very average to me going on into the pros. I don't see him be effective in covering the slot and he really lacks of press coverage and jams on the line I would say.

I actually like Vaccaro as a player but I don't know if he is our guy for the 1st round. I don't think he has more upside then a lot of other safeties in this draft and to say he will be a stud in the NFL is a little prejudged I would say. I think he is not worth a 17th overall pick. But thats just my take I wouldn't blow people away who are saying they like Vaccaro.