Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #101
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Honestly, I think every team is expected to win it all every year. This is why the Raiders have a new HC every year; why the Niners had different OC for Alex Smith 4 or 5 years in a row; why I expect Jerry Jones to fire Jason Garrett or Tony Romo after this season etc.

I agree that Steelers fans are a spoiled bunch, myself included, but it is amazing to me how blind people are to Roethlisberger's innumerable faults. Seems to me the fans get a whipping boy (this year Wallace or Mendenhall) and stick to him.

Realistically, Woodley should have gotten more heat than anyone. At least we know Harrison is old coming off back/knee surgery.
wow you are a Ben Hater. He was having his best statistical year and we were in the playoffs when he got hurt. What on earth are you talking about?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #102
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Terry- 4 Super Bowls with highly contributory play in 3 of them.
Ben - 2 Super bowls with highly contributory play in 1, mediocre in the other.

Terry - much better deep ball (distance and accuracy).

Terry - called his own plays within Noll's framework.
Ben - doesn't get the freedom Terry did, but if he did what would you expect?

Toughness - even and both are two of the toughest ever to play QB.

Rising to the occassion - edge to Terry, 4-0 in the SB, hard to ignore the significance of this. It's a big credential he has over Ben.

Sure Terry had the better supporting cast but his performances in XIII and XIV seals it.

Overall, Terry's the better QB. No myth there.
Terry was surrounded by Hall of Famers and had the best defense in history. So, when he made some ridiculous plays, like in Super Bowl 14, his defense bailed him out.

Ben has no hall of famers, maybe Ward, maybe Bettis on offense and a good defense that rarely takes over games or bails him out.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #103
desertsteel
Head Coach

Member Number: 915
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I don't know why you are tearing down Terry to build Ben up. The poor guy worked within his team doing the best he could to get 4 superbowls and he never consistently had as good a defense as Ben's.
Are you serious??? Are you really saying that the current defense is better than the Steel Curtain??? Mind = blown.
desertsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #104
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Back to back Super Bowl MVP is Legend, not myth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dino 6 Rings For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (01-22-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #105
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,540 Times in 3,761 Posts

Check out Bradshaw's Super Bowl stat line - that is when it matters
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #106
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Are you serious??? Are you really saying that the current defense is better than the Steel Curtain??? Mind = blown.
No I am not saying the 2012 defense is better than the 1978 defense. What I am saying is that Roethlisberger has had a consistently better defense than Bradshaw did.

Bradshaw played for 13 seasons. He had 6 defenses in the top 5 in scoring and 6 defenses in the top 5 in yards.

Roethlisberger has played for 9 seasons. He has had 6 defenses in the top 5 in scoring and 7 defenses in the top 5 in yards.

I feel like I'm repeating myself I must have said that earlier in this post. Bradshaw had an average defense at the beginning and end of his career. Roethlisberger has never had anything but a top 10 defense.

I know the current defense doesn't have a fancy name but maybe if I start calling it the "Super-duperest-bestest-defense-ever!" it will get some credit around these here parts.

The 2008 and 2010 defenses were some of the best Steeler defenses. Only 1 or 2 70s defenses were better.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #107
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Everyone always tries to cut down Bradshaw's greatness by saying "yeah but he played with all those hall of fame players"

Well if not for Terry being the QB, those guys wouldn't have 4 rings and some of them might not be HOF Players. Sure, Greene and Lambert would most likely still be considered HOF Players, and Maybe Blount...but Stallworth and Swann? No.

Franco, sure, his career numbers help in that regard but the 4 Rings are what got him in the HOF with his one SB MVP. Franco wasn't even considered the greatest back of his era. That would be OJ Simpson. and then, Earl Campbell in the late 70s. Franco never lead the league in Rushing, sure he split carries with Rocky, but still, he was never considered the greatest at the time he played.

Of all the players on the 70s Steelers, are any considered the "greatest ever" at their position? Is Lambert the greatest LB of all time? Have fun arguing that. What about Blount? Best DB Ever? Lots of people wouldn't even put in him in the top 3 of all time as a DB. What about the WRs? Neither would be in the HOF without the rings and it took a lot of politics to get them in. Once Swann got in, that helped John. Is Mean Joe the greatest D Lineman of all time? Maybe, you could actually have some fun arguing that. But the reality is, these guys were all collectively great, but playing with one another is what made the team great.

I'm tired of that argument being used to cut down the greatness that was and is Terry Bradshaw. Was Terry kind of aloof and sometimes come across as a prick? Sure, the Blonde Bomber has his moments of being an a-hole, but so what? He won when it mattered the most, he made clutch throws when it mattered the most, he was leader on a team that went 4-0 in 6 years in the SB and is always cut down for playing on a team with other "greats". Why does every other QB get credit for making those around him "better" yet everyone seems to try and say the "greats" around Terry propped him up? Its Bull Crap. Terry is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, his deep ball was second to none, his clutch throws are second to none, his leadership on the field and desire to be a winner is second to none.

for the record, I'm a huge Terry fan so my perspective may be a little bias.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dino 6 Rings For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (01-22-2013), lloydwoodson (01-22-2013), stb_steeler (01-22-2013), wootawnee (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #108
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Terry Bradshaw is still the only Steeler to be league MVP. That should count for something shouldn't it? He can't be all bad can he?

I hear you Dino. It is pretty ridiculous the lengths people will go to in destroying someone else's hero to build up their own.

I don't think there has ever been any player who consistently played above their norm in big games like Terry did.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #109
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Pittsburgh was the shithole of the NFL back then......None of these guys were HOF'ers , they were just players....... The fans in PItt didnt expect titles, they just hated on everybody back then cause thats all they had, they never won s*&t.....The first dude through the door always gets shit on him, thats why that door is so hard to break down......And beleive me, that was a shitty door......The whole mis-perception about Bradshaw is hindsight, and if we never won, would not have been talked about.....It would have been just another failure of a QB.......
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #110
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,027 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Everyone always tries to cut down Bradshaw's greatness by saying "yeah but he played with all those hall of fame players"

Well if not for Terry being the QB, those guys wouldn't have 4 rings and some of them might not be HOF Players. Sure, Greene and Lambert would most likely still be considered HOF Players, and Maybe Blount...but Stallworth and Swann? No.

Franco, sure, his career numbers help in that regard but the 4 Rings are what got him in the HOF with his one SB MVP. Franco wasn't even considered the greatest back of his era. That would be OJ Simpson. and then, Earl Campbell in the late 70s. Franco never lead the league in Rushing, sure he split carries with Rocky, but still, he was never considered the greatest at the time he played.

Of all the players on the 70s Steelers, are any considered the "greatest ever" at their position? Is Lambert the greatest LB of all time? Have fun arguing that. What about Blount? Best DB Ever? Lots of people wouldn't even put in him in the top 3 of all time as a DB. What about the WRs? Neither would be in the HOF without the rings and it took a lot of politics to get them in. Once Swann got in, that helped John. Is Mean Joe the greatest D Lineman of all time? Maybe, you could actually have some fun arguing that. But the reality is, these guys were all collectively great, but playing with one another is what made the team great.

I'm tired of that argument being used to cut down the greatness that was and is Terry Bradshaw. Was Terry kind of aloof and sometimes come across as a prick? Sure, the Blonde Bomber has his moments of being an a-hole, but so what? He won when it mattered the most, he made clutch throws when it mattered the most, he was leader on a team that went 4-0 in 6 years in the SB and is always cut down for playing on a team with other "greats". Why does every other QB get credit for making those around him "better" yet everyone seems to try and say the "greats" around Terry propped him up? Its Bull Crap. Terry is one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, his deep ball was second to none, his clutch throws are second to none, his leadership on the field and desire to be a winner is second to none.

for the record, I'm a huge Terry fan so my perspective may be a little bias.
I don't think your biased at all.
I think you're very objective when comparing Terry and Ben.
Your summary of Bradshaw's often de-valued excellence was excellent.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote