Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: 364/575, 4,179 yards, 33 TD, 10 INT

Ben is a great QB and were lucky to have him because there are not many in the NFL. I disagree with the members who feel everything is his fault and he isn't a good QB and I also disagree with the members who feel he is the best QB in the NFL and can do no wrong. Ben can't carry a team like Payton Manning, Rodgers and Brady can but he is perfect for us with our tough defense. He gives us chance to win every game he is healthy in and playing.

Unfortunately we can't win the super bowl every year and this was one of our few down years. Every one needs to chill, we will be back next year
Old 12-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

The Steelers need to let him win try and win games early next year instead of waiting until the last 2 minutes. Will he put up Manning or Brady numbers? I don't know, but the Steelers went 8-8 playing Marty ball this year.

Maybe it's time for a philosophy change - more points faster. This team killed itself grinding out long drives to only settle for three or see Ben get sacked out of FG range when they easily have capabilities to score quickly. 7 points in 1 minute is better than no points in 8 minutes. And since the Steelers will be forced to get younger on defense this season, there is really no excuse for them to hold the offense back from more quick strikes.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
The Steelers need to let him win try and win games early next year instead of waiting until the last 2 minutes. Will he put up Manning or Brady numbers? I don't know, but the Steelers went 8-8 playing Marty ball this year.

Maybe it's time for a philosophy change - more points faster. This team killed itself grinding out long drives to only settle for three or see Ben get sacked out of FG range when they easily have capabilities to score quickly. 7 points in 1 minute is better than no points in 8 minutes. And since the Steelers will be forced to get younger on defense this season, there is really no excuse for them to hold the offense back from more quick strikes.
I agree they need to put points up earlier but I'm sure they also want to. Brady throws short passes all game and scores a lot. He's doing the same thing we tried, he'll New England even ran more times then us. They just executed better. It's not like the Steelers went trying to score
Old 12-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I agree they need to put points up earlier but I'm sure they also want to. Brady throws short passes all game and scores a lot. He's doing the same thing we tried, he'll New England even ran more times then us. They just executed better. It's not like the Steelers went trying to score
The Patriots are better equipped for the dink-and-dunk than the Steelers are - mainly because of their two big TEs that cause huge match-up problems. If the Steelers had a better #2 TE opposite of Heath, then maybe the Steelers would be better at it. Wallace, Brown, and Sanders aren't dink-and-dunk guys, their speedsters. It makes it even harder on them when Wallace isn't being sent down field to open the other two up. These guys had dropping problems already, and getting trucked by big LBs doesn't help.

The Patriots and the Broncos both ran better than the Steelers because a) they weren't so predictable with their runs, and b) they used a lot of no-huddle. They also aren't so fixated with time of possession - so when their offense scores quickly they aren't worried about getting into a shootout.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

He was an MVP candidate until he got hurt. Not only that but he's QB'd us to 3 super bowls. Anyone who thinks we should get rid of him is a simple minded moron who can't see more than 2 weeks into the past to form a thought.

This Ben talk reminds me of listening to Mike and Mike in the morning. A team can go 14-0, but then if the team loses two in a row those two morons in the morning will start talking about how the 14-2 team shouldn't be in the playoffs.

Bottom line is that there is no way if you take Ben's complete body of work (both this year and over his career) that you should want him gone. I'm not sure that theres even a rational argument for him leaving other than he sucked after coming back from injury.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
*It's
*Accept
You're assuming that he didn't mean "except". I mean, your asuming that he did'nt not mean accept.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,037 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

I don't care what a qb does individually. Stat that matters for qbs is how much the team scores. Period.

Steelers had the 21st scoring offense in the league. Sure Haley is calling amazing plays to boost Roethlisberger's stats but Ben needs to put some points on the board!!!
If I could Thank this twice, I would. This might be long, but it is my end of the year rant, if you will.

The issue with the Steelers going into next season is they are unlikely to find a better QB. Pure and simple. So, unless we got lucky getting a rookie QB who turns into Russell Wilson in training camp, Ben is going to be under center next year. Ben is what he is and he doesn't have any goal of adjusting or changing or anything to get better. He wants to be the same and do the same crap every year, every game.

So, with that, expect the typical 10-10 games to all the teams through out the year going into the last 5 min of a game, whether it being the Raiders or Ravens and the Steelers will hope for one little play here or there to determine the W/L.

Ben is too busy bitching and whining about play calls and coaches, all the while I watched one of the best called games with a 38 year old QB in Charlie Batch in the last Ravens game.

Blaming play calling and ASSISTANT coaches for your teams mishaps is a loser excuse, loser mentality and therefore you LOSE in the end when it matters. All the slaps in this forum killed Bruce Arians the last few years about his play calling, attitude, whatever, however, he is coach of the year with a rookie QB and brand new players to an Indy team that completely rebuilt their team in 6 months, and had to deal with their head coach almost dying from cancer.

I thought Devin Hester said it best today, when he found out Lovie Smith got fired, he called out the "Fake fans are happy now", and this from a 10-6 team. The point is, fans have selfish reasons to hate instead of paying attention and using common sense. If Arians was the issue all these years, why did Ben do the same (bleep) crap this year with Todd Haley? Why is Arians successful with a 5 month old QB and not a SB winning QB? Sometimes, you need to wake up and stop playing the high school girl trying to rationalize why another girl is a bitch when she isn't. The root of the problem is usually who you brain tells you but you ignore it to justify some personal likely to the other.

I will be honest, I really have never liked Big Ben, deep down. I am naturally observant to certain personalities. You can learn a lot about someone on how they speak. And it has nothing to do with being mean to the media, or being coy or being boystrous. He has a prissy, cliche, doucheness about him. Tomlin is another guy who's interview make me run to the bathroom, except he does it in a different way. He uses big words with all these one liners. Problem with that is, when you are trying to sound like something that you aren't, it makes you look stupid. At least with Belichick, that is who he is, he is mono-toned, I ain't telling you jack crap and that's the way it is whether he is sleeping, awake or whatever.

My hope for next year, is the Steelers get a healthy back up QB, preferably someone who doesnt shatter after 2 quarters who can come in and win 3 or 4 games during the year. Because Ben is just going to get worse physically the more and more he allows himself to get hit. Shit, even to the pathetic Cleveland team, he still sat back there for 45 min and took sacks.

We will see with Tomlin, where he needs to improve. Little more game planning and less standard talk. We get it, everyone is a pro, no need to through zingers every 2 min in an interview.

My other hope is getting rid of two cancers off the team. And replace them with leaders. As much as it may pain most of you, Ben has NEVER been the leader of the Steelers, ever. The only leaders this team has had are all retired, Farrior, Bettis and Hines. This team does not have that leader right now. We have bitches like Wallace and mental migits likes Mendenhall who speak for the Steelers. Not a good combo. Call me superstitious, call me religious, but I may not know 100% if there is a God, but i damn well believe 100% that there are jinxed people out there. Is it any coincidence that when Wallace started playing like a dickweed, the cancer spread to Brown, Sanders, all these guys who are so reliable. Mendy and his fumbling and bullshit, hit the other RBs at the worst times.

Steelers do not have to fix much, but they need to make the right tweaks and hopefully get an instant game changer with pick 17.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #28
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,336 Times in 485 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

What's funny is, 33 TD passes would only be six fewer than Aaron Rodgers threw this season (39), four fewer than Peyton Manning (37), one fewer than Tom Brady (34), and more than Matt Ryan (32), Tony Romo (28), Eli Manning (26), Philip Rivers (26), Joe Flacco (22), Matt Schaub (22) and Jay Cutler (19).

These are the reasons why the scoring output wasn't that great:

1. Ben Roethlisberger missed three-and-a-half games, and the backup QBs had one whole TD pass between them.

2. Only four teams (Jaguars, Rams, Raiders, Chargers) had fewer TD runs this season than the Steelers did (8).

3. Only two teams (Raiders, Lions) had a lower share of points scored by their defenses and special teams than the Steelers did (97.9%).

Simply put, the scoring problem has nothing to do with the passing game. The Steelers scored 36 TDs this season: eight from the running game, one from the defense, one from a backup QB, zero from the special teams, and 26 from Roethlisberger's arm.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #29
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
No he honestly believes the Steelers weren't trying to score. I even graciously pointed out that Haley's "ball control" offense scored more points than Arians' "let Ben be Ben" offense. No dice.

Pointed out Haley's offense was second in the league in passes for more than 20 yards before Ben's injury. No dice.

Pointed out that Arians' offense in Indy with rookie Andrew Luck scored more points than Ben did last year. No dice.

It is still not Ben's fault nor will it ever be.

Roethlisberger has become his hero Elway. You will never convince a Broncos fan that Elway was not the greatest qb ever. Both qbs will have ridden into Canton on the backs of their teammates- Davis or Bettis, Atwater or Polamalu, Smith or Harrison, Sharpe or Miller it is all the same.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,215 Times in 2,955 Posts
My Mood: Hot

Please name the great offensive linemen in front of Ben. Please list the dominant wide receivers he has had to throw to. Please list the dominant runners he has had to carry things for this team. If you give me an answer to any of these questions, you are lying through your teeth.

You have a team with the #1 defense in football, and you have an elite QB. You also have one of the worst offensive lines in football, average, at best, running backs, and the most overrated corp of receivers in the league. So here's what the great offensive mind did....he built the offense around the running game. Early in the year, they got enough done because Ben was playing at an extremely high level. He led the NFL in 3rd down conversion percentage. Ben was carrying the team in spite of an ineffective running game. He constantly overcame two ineffective runs on third down. And please, don't tell me they threw on first down because they fired a ball behing the line of scrimmage for a WR screen. It counts in the stats, but that is not throwing the ball down field. When Ben got hurt, he came backk not able to carry the team. Other teams started jumping every short route, and some interceptions happened. The Steelers had no other options that worked. It's really not that complicated.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote