Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,543 Times in 4,086 Posts
Default Re: Lovie Smith Fired - Let's Grab Him as Defensive Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Butler hasn't done anything, but since you did, how about quantifying that comment?
He's failed to develop Jason Worilds and Chris Carter. Both are now wasted picks and we have to again spend high draft picks on an outside Linebacker to play opposite Woodley. Instead of addressing Safety in the first round of this draft, we're going to have to now draft someone like Jordan, Okafor or Van Noy and start over.

While it might be unfair to say he "hasn't done anything", he hasn't accomplished nearly the same amount of things that Lovie Smith has done and accomplished. Butler hasn't shown he can be a defensive coordinator in the NFL, and Lovie Smith has shown he can - successfully. He can also take his teams defense to number one in defensive touchdowns.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #22
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I still don't understand people classify Worilds as a wasted pick. Or Chris Carter after one season. Just because they didn't come in and immediately play at an All-Pro level and unseat Harrison doesn't mean they're busts.

Worilds was second on the team in sacks with 5, one behind Harrison and Timmons and one more than Woodley, and that was with limited playing time and maybe half a season or less of starts (IDK the number off the top of my head).

Anyway, IDK how Lovie would do as a DC since he seems to specialize in the 4-3. I'd trust him with a 3-4 but it's no guarantee and I only consider bringing him in if Lebeau retires.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-01-2013)
Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,543 Times in 4,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I still don't understand people classify Worilds as a wasted pick. Or Chris Carter after one season. Just because they didn't come in and immediately play at an All-Pro level and unseat Harrison doesn't mean they're busts.

Worilds was second on the team in sacks with 5, one behind Harrison and Timmons and one more than Woodley, and that was with limited playing time and maybe half a season or less of starts (IDK the number off the top of my head).

Anyway, IDK how Lovie would do as a DC since he seems to specialize in the 4-3. I'd trust him with a 3-4 but it's no guarantee and I only consider bringing him in if Lebeau retires.
He got 5 sacks playing as the LOLB, or Woodley's position. Have you seen him line up as the ROLB? He's useless. He's utterly useless. So, we have one great LOLB who struggled with injuries and weight - which is inexcusable, by the way - and one that's decent enough as a backup. Great, we don't have a ROLB to line up behind, and now replace Harrison and that's a situation that needs fixing.

He specializes in the 4-3, but I feel sure he could do fine in a 3-4 ZB scheme. That, or change the scheme.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
He got 5 sacks playing as the LOLB, or Woodley's position. Have you seen him line up as the ROLB? He's useless. He's utterly useless. So, we have one great LOLB who struggled with injuries and weight - which is inexcusable, by the way - and one that's decent enough as a backup. Great, we don't have a ROLB to line up behind, and now replace Harrison and that's a situation that needs fixing.

He specializes in the 4-3, but I feel sure he could do fine in a 3-4 ZB scheme. That, or change the scheme.
Hey I agree with all your points! But why would we try to fit in lovie to our system than rather than him work in his own system. I personally think this would be a perfect time to transition this team to a 4 3 and lovie would be great. Anyway; lebau is staying. Seventy what now lol?? His d was good this year ; but in my opinion I would love to see an attacking style 4 3. I think its the way to go in this passing league!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Definitely there is the personnel for a 4-3. Woodley-Hood-McLendon-Heyward
Spence-Foote-Timmons

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster

Last edited by lloydwoodson; 01-01-2013 at 12:50 AM.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #26
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I think as a whole our defense is in good shape. Some key players aging and hard to keep healthy, Kiesel, Hampton, Foote, Troy,Harrison, and Clark come to mind. Woodley played well below expectations. On the other hand we have some young DBs that showed real promise and Lewis needs to be resigned if possible. Worilds has done well, and I for one am anxious to see Spence, especially after the training camp hype. Ziggy and McClendon and Heyward need to step up this next year. Looking forward to see who we draft to add depth to this unit.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #27
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
With Arians and William Gay gone the haters need a new scapegoat.
You ain't seen nuthin yet, wait until Wallace is gone. Someone else will surely pop up.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Anyway, IDK how Lovie would do as a DC since he seems to specialize in the 4-3.
'Cover 2' 4-3, too, right?

Considering that obvious fact which I originally overlooked, hiring Lovie would make zero sense in general.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
steelerjames
Water Boy

Member Number: 15289

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-chicago-bears

Lovie Smith was just let go by the Bears and I think it would be absolutely fantastic to bring him here and let him work with the talent we already have here and build the new guys we're going to be drafting. He's been a head coach for nine years, but with the recent flux of guys coming from the collegiate level and taking their shots at the NFL. I think he's going to be available to us - should we want him - for our defense.

I'd love to have Tomlin, Haley and Lovie Smith as our coaches and coordinators and this team could finally live up to it's potential on both sides of the ball. Haley can adjust his gameplan a little bit and Lovie could play an aggressive, attacking style defense that would generate turnovers.

I think we let Keith take calls from other teams to be their DC and we let LeBeau walk away from football. It's time to move on and move past these two.
ARE YOU CRAZY
steelerjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

I remember how everyone thought once Tomlin was hired we would be switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Ironically we are better suited now with the current personel than we were then.
Lebeau should not be going anywhere. He does what a great coach does, adjusts to his teams strengths. His version of the zone blitz thrived with great LB play. Harrison and Woodley were non factors this year. Foote played well but has lost a step. Timmons is the only one who played above the line this year........finally. Instead of constantly doing the same thing Lebeau adjusted and still had the top D. You want more turnovers? Get Woodley to report to camp lighter next year and give him another pass rusher. Sacks and QB hurries will help produce strip sacks and INT's.
I'm not sure how Lebeau isn't aggressive. Some of you make it sound like 90 % of the ddfensive snaps were with a 10 yard cushion from the db's. Truth of the matter is 60 % probably weren't. Lebeau is still the best defensive mind in the game.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote