Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #31
Steel95
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20292
Default Re: Lovie Smith Fired - Let's Grab Him as Defensive Coordinator

What about Keith Butler? He has been groomed to take over once LeBeau retires; Keith Butler is also used to running the 3-4 Defense, Lovie Smith runs the 4-3. I would love to have Lovie Smith as a D.C, but I wouldn't snub Keith Butler. Remember, the Steelers normally build within, promote within as well. The only exception seems to be when they hire a Head Coach. They went outside the organization last year and brought in Todd Haley, we all see how that turned out. Years ago, they went outside the organization and brought in a guy named Joe Walton, what a disaster! Remember the O/C they hired from Minnesota years ago? I think his name was Sherman Lewis, a disaster as well. Promote from within; now, if Lovie Smith was hired as a LB Coach, learned the system for a couple of seasons, then I would be ok with that.
Steel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBobbleHead View Post
I'm not sure how Lebeau isn't aggressive. Some of you make it sound like 90 % of the ddfensive snaps were with a 10 yard cushion from the db's. Truth of the matter is 60 % probably weren't. Lebeau is still the best defensive mind in the game.
That accusation comes from the fact that Harrison and Woodley were dropping into coverage a lot. It also stems from the fact the DBs are told to "tackle the catch" rather than try to jump a route and pick off a pass.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18077

I don't discredit the fact that the db's are talk to keep the ball in front and make the tackle......make them drive the length of the field. I would like to see the db's make a play on the ball as well. I still think pressure on the QB can help with this as well.
Woodley and Harrison have dropped into coverage quite often. Neither get to the QB anymore so often times they would send the buck blitz. To me not being aggressive is only rushing 3. The Steelers have done that but all teams do.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel95 View Post
What about Keith Butler? He has been groomed to take over once LeBeau retires; Keith Butler is also used to running the 3-4 Defense, Lovie Smith runs the 4-3. I would love to have Lovie Smith as a D.C, but I wouldn't snub Keith Butler. Remember, the Steelers normally build within, promote within as well. The only exception seems to be when they hire a Head Coach. They went outside the organization last year and brought in Todd Haley, we all see how that turned out. Years ago, they went outside the organization and brought in a guy named Joe Walton, what a disaster! Remember the O/C they hired from Minnesota years ago? I think his name was Sherman Lewis, a disaster as well. Promote from within; now, if Lovie Smith was hired as a LB Coach, learned the system for a couple of seasons, then I would be ok with that.
Butler is promised the job....Why? i don't know....
Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #35
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Butler is promised the job....Why? i don't know....

Butler is on the "hit list" of many NFL teams for a defensive coordinator job. They're fully aware that he's somewhat lying in wait.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see someone snatch him THIS offseason. If he's offered a job - he'll take it. You don't, or can't, rely on "promises". This might be the one move this offseason that will really tick Steelers fans off - though they won't be able to do anything about it.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #36
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Honestly, if Lovie Smith would sign on as DC he would be a great pickup.

As much as I love LeBeau he is 75 years old.

The personnel exist for a 4-3 defense.

Woodley Hood McLendon Heyward w/ Worilds, Keisel (probably expendable in a 4-3) roatating in.

Spence Foote Timmons (really hoping Teo falls - I still think Sylvester deserves a shot)

All in all I would prefer Lebeau sticks with the team until he is 90, but when he leaves I hope he leaves the Steelers in a good position for the future.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #37
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

Roethlisberger 2011 20 ppg 2012 21 ppg

Conclusion: Seeing that only Rodgers offensive production changed significantly, if a team wants to score more points they are better off with a new quarterback than a new coordinator.

stats are for losers

wins and losses matter

12-4

to

8-8

no wonder Ben said - "fuck it - I'll just stay home and play with the baby, I'm done with this dink&dunk bitch"
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #38
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

I believe last year teams were allowed to talk with bulter but he didn't take any offers. I'm sure the Rooneys have told him once dl leaves your our guy.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #39
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I believe last year teams were allowed to talk with bulter but he didn't take any offers. I'm sure the Rooneys have told him once dl leaves your our guy.
Well the defense has been a top 10 defense for 13 consecutive seasons.

That is pretty damn good.

The front office will make the proper decision on defense just as they have made the proper decision with the direction of the offense.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #40
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
What is with these people calling for Lebeau's head? My lord, the problem was not with this defense this year. We finished number one overall AGAIN, for chrissakes. We lost to the Bengals in a game where they did absolutely nothing on offense, 13-10. Lebeau can run the D for as long as he wants.
I don't think anyone is calling for his head. Just making suggestions if he retires or leaves the team.