Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
Default Black Monday reactions

Thank god for the incompetence of the Browns. From the outside I don't get why you cut the GM and coach after 2 years? They have drafted some very good talent and the team was not an easy out despite their record.

And poor Lovie, having to deal with a bonehead GM who didn't provide with the talent on offense for years.

And, Wiz, well when you lose 58 - 0 that pretty much seals the deal. He completely botched the QB. His assessment of talent in that position is horrible.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
Default Re: Black Monday reactions

You didn't need to be a fortune-teller to see Reid, Chan Bailey, Norv Turner and Romeo Crennel were going to get canned. Reid and Crennel in particular have taken half decent squads and made them look awful (except when they played us!). Bailey had shown flashes, but was saddled with some poor draft choices and a tough division, but had underperformed. Turner I think is paying the price for a talented squad perrenially underperforming in a weak dvision. Seeing the Broncos walk that division must have stung the Chargers ownership a bit.

Whiz got stiffed because he's buggered up the QB position at Phoenix and with the GM canned there too, I guess Bidwill felt that they'd cocked up between them. Feel a bit for him though, he was their best coach for 30 years in terms of wins.

I'm a bit surprised that The Clowns canned Shurmur, they've drafted quite well under him and are a better side now than they were when Crennel left - another decent draft focussing on offense and the Browns might be an outside bet challenger. Still, it's the Clowns, so no surprises there. Lovie Smith had a so-so record, and was straddled with some deeply odd drafting decisions, as well as his failure to reach enough post-seasons, though I still think the Bears were premature - He'll get snapped up somewhere else.

I expect Mularkey to be gone from the Jags shortly, though nothing woud surprise me with that organisation, and am surprised Munchak at Tennessee, Allen at the Raiders and Rivera at Carolina have all survived (so far).
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,963 Times in 3,374 Posts

I definitely didn't think that Pat Shurmur of the Browns need to be fired. I guess the new owner wants to start over at the GM and HC spots, but I think it's a mistake on his part. Some of the ppl I work with are Browns fans and they couldn't stand Shurmur, mainly because he made very conservative calls on the field.

The Lovie Smith firing surprised me as well.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I definitely didn't think that Pat Shurmur of the Browns need to be fired. I guess the new owner wants to start over at the GM and HC spots, but I think it's a mistake on his part. Some of the ppl I work with are Browns fans and they couldn't stand Shurmur, mainly because he made very conservative calls on the field.
True. My Dad's a Clown's fan (I know, I know) and some of the play calling on the O drove him mad - but as I pointed out, It's not like they had John Elway under center.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Thank god for the incompetence of the Browns. From the outside I don't get why you cut the GM and coach after 2 years? They have drafted some very good talent and the team was not an easy out despite their record.
You don't get why they got rid of the coach and the GM? It's fairly normal for a new owner to clean house and start over with his own guys.

I'm thinking that this new owner is exactly what Cleveland needed. I have a feeling that within the next two-three years, you may have some competition in your division.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
You don't get why they got rid of the coach and the GM? It's fairly normal for a new owner to clean house and start over with his own guys.

I'm thinking that this new owner is exactly what Cleveland needed. I have a feeling that within the next two-three years, you may have some competition in your division.
Yeah I understand why Haslam did it given the circumstances. Not sure though. It really depends who they hire and how they draft. What's interesting is new regimes usually mean rookie QBs but I can't see them giving up on Weeden even if Weeden wasn't impressive and is unique being a 28 year old rookie. None of the firings really surprised me. Some people brought up Smith of the Bears as a surprise. That one doesn't surprise me at all. They underachieved down the stretch.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

I once thought that Cleveland was on the rise, but now that I see this impatient reaction, they're toast. They just don't have the talent at QB yet, but elsewhere there are a lot of good pieces in place. What kind of message does it says to the players if you change coaches every 2 years? It tells them that they can coast because the guy in charge has terrible job security. The revolving door management style = perennial loser.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Shurmur was dealt a "not so good" hand and is a scapegoat. This obviously means that the Browns want to (and NEED to) bring in a big name head coach if they can. The franchise needs a kick in the pants and some media attention brought to the city.

Crennel has likely had his last chance. He looks like a nice guy, but on the sidelines looks like a fish completely out of water.

The Bills, Arizona, and Philly firings all come as expected. San Diego was another franchise that needed to make a big change - new face, new attitude - that whole franchise could use a small makeover. They've completely fell flat despite a fair amount of talent.

Yet..........
Through all of this - Rex Ryan STILL has a job (at least so far). A joke of a head coach who is not being axed. Know why? Because he brings a circus to wherever he goes - and the Jets are more interested in NYC newspaper "headlines" - than winning.
Also, Jason Garrett remains in Dallas, despite making dozens & dozens of coaching blunders. Wonder if anyone else will go down?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRH For This Useful Post:
ZoneBlitzer (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Only shocker I see is Lovie being let go and the Jets keeping Rex (good).
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVABE For This Useful Post:
stb_steeler (12-31-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
I once thought that Cleveland was on the rise, but now that I see this impatient reaction, they're toast. They just don't have the talent at QB yet, but elsewhere there are a lot of good pieces in place. What kind of message does it says to the players if you change coaches every 2 years? It tells them that they can coast because the guy in charge has terrible job security. The revolving door management style = perennial loser.
It's going to take a little time, but I think they have an owner that actually cares for a change. I don't think you'll see the every two years coaching changes after he gets his own people in place.

I know a little about the constant coaching changes and players coasting.

I'm hoping the Raiders are done with that now that Al is gone. Retaining Allen is a step in the right direction. Like the Browns, it's going to take a little time to get things going, but I think it will happen.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote