Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #61
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Steelers’ offensive front may see familiar faces leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
still not good enough - that is a weak line, I want a dominating LT

I know one thing, we've wasted enough 1st rd picks on defense lately - Ziggy and Cam were fizzles - Steelers have a much better track record picking OL early

Alabama or LSU OL players - that's what I want this time, big SEC hogs
Cam is the best DL on the team. Ziggy is solid. People attacking the DL of the 2nd best rushing defense in the NFL is getting really old really fast.

Ziggy and Cam would both be making double what they are making if they played LE for a 4-3 team. Instead they are playing out of position in a 3-4 where they are not the focus of the defense but rather occupy players for Woodley's fat ass and a declining legend in Harrison.

Ziggy and Cam have not complained about their selection to a 3-4 team despite the fact it is costing them millions of dollars. In fact, Ziggy Hood is arguably the hardest worker on the team in the offseason. Cam would have had 79 tackles and 6 sacks this season if he had maintained production and had as many snaps as Keisel.

All Steelers fans can do is criticize the front office for drafting quality players in unflashy positions that will cost a helluva lot less than drafting a 1st round skill position.

The best left tackles cost ten million per year at a minimum. They are marginally cheaper than quarterbacks and the second most expensive position in the NFL. The Steelers have consistently drafted interior line on offense and interior line on defense because they are cheaper.

There was a time when the Steelers fans held the workmanlike types in high regard- the Aaron Smiths, Chris Hokes, James Farriors- and now the replacements for those players have been scapegoated. The players have not changed; the fans have.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #62
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

I'm afraid that Chance Warmack won't be around for us to draft after last night's dominating performance, I can't remember which ESPN announcer it was, but he said that Warmack was the best player on the field. He not only blows out the guy across from him, he then heads down field and smashes whoever else in his way. I see that Kiper said that he could go as high as #3 now.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #63
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedoshell31 View Post
I'm afraid that Chance Warmack won't be around for us to draft after last night's dominating performance, I can't remember which ESPN announcer it was, but he said that Warmack was the best player on the field. He not only blows out the guy across from him, he then heads down field and smashes whoever else in his way. I see that Kiper said that he could go as high as #3 now.
I'd honestly be really surprised if we drafted O line in the 1st round this year.........especially a guard at #17. DeCastro and Adams in round 1 and 2 last year seems to be a big enough devotion to O line.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #64
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I'd honestly be really surprised if we drafted O line in the 1st round this year.........especially a guard at #17. DeCastro and Adams in round 1 and 2 last year seems to be a big enough devotion to O line.
Agreed, and no way we draft another offensive lineman in round 1 regardless of who is there
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #65
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I agree: when The Colon plays, he is a great.

Alas, the operative words are "when he plays."
No, he's not great. Good straight ahead blocker, can't pull, whiffs in pass pro too much.

He is also hurt way too much.

Keep Starks and Foster, please, and let Colon walk.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #66
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
I like a 2013 starting line of this.

LT-Starks
LG-Colon
C-Pouncey
RG-DeCastro
RT-Gilbert

Backups
Adams at either tackle
Foster at either guard
Legursky at Center or guard
Beachum at tackle

If Adams can beat out either guy for the starting tackle job, great. You'll need a swing tackle as there will be injuries.
Adams benched and Fat Gilbert starting? Based on what? The running game went south when Adams got hurt. He should be fighting Starks for the LT spot, with the loser taking RT.

Until Gilbert loses weight and takes the game seriously, he's a backup.
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-09-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #67
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
can we PLEASE finally draft a real starting LT?

We can't keep relying on Max to save us
Max is 30. Why can't he be the starting LT until the one we drafted, Adams, is ready?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #68
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,618 Posts

Ed.B. of the P-G believes the OL is being blown up

Three regular starters in the Steelers offensive line likely won’t return in 2013 and all three players who took turns starting at right tackle should start at three separate positions next season.

There is a caveat to all of this, of course – provided they all stay healthy.

Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon’s knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third straight season was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on and they believe they have the right man to replace him.

The Steelers drafted Kelvin Beachum – their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year – to play guard even though he started all 52 games in his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started there the final five games and did a nice job. It helped convince them he can start at guard – coincidentally, moving from and to the same position that Colon did.

They will turn the right tackle job over to Adams. Gilbert will start at left tackle. There was a time many assumed Adams would play left tackle, but he is a more natural right tackle, a better run blocker, and Gilbert’s more natural position is left tackle.

David DeCastro will take over at right guard as he did at the end of the season when he became healthy from his preseason knee injury. And, of course, there is three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ent-look-in-13

Colon has been friends with Ben (Colon was a wingman in Milledgeville) so it will be interesting to see if Ben can avoid some sniping if Colon is released
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #69
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Ed.B. of the P-G believes the OL is being blown up

Three regular starters in the Steelers offensive line likely won’t return in 2013 and all three players who took turns starting at right tackle should start at three separate positions next season.

There is a caveat to all of this, of course – provided they all stay healthy.

Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon’s knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third straight season was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on and they believe they have the right man to replace him.

The Steelers drafted Kelvin Beachum – their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year – to play guard even though he started all 52 games in his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started there the final five games and did a nice job. It helped convince them he can start at guard – coincidentally, moving from and to the same position that Colon did.

They will turn the right tackle job over to Adams. Gilbert will start at left tackle. There was a time many assumed Adams would play left tackle, but he is a more natural right tackle, a better run blocker, and Gilbert’s more natural position is left tackle.

David DeCastro will take over at right guard as he did at the end of the season when he became healthy from his preseason knee injury. And, of course, there is three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ent-look-in-13

Colon has been friends with Ben (Colon was a wingman in Milledgeville) so it will be interesting to see if Ben can avoid some sniping if Colon is released

The Gilbert at LT and Adams at RT is what I expected. I really expect them to offer Ramon Foster a contract and not just let him go. Anointing Beechum to starting guard in year 2 is a bit of a shock.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #70
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,378 Times in 2,078 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The Gilbert at LT and Adams at RT is what I expected. I really expect them to offer Ramon Foster a contract and not just let him go. Anointing Beechum to starting guard in year 2 is a bit of a shock.
I don't mind seeing Colon go - but, no Colon and no Starks and no Foster would be a big mistake IMO

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote