Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #71
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,827 Times in 7,532 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers’ offensive front may see familiar faces leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The Gilbert at LT and Adams at RT is what I expected. I really expect them to offer Ramon Foster a contract and not just let him go. Anointing Beechum to starting guard in year 2 is a bit of a shock.
1. Leverage.

2. I had thought that Beachum might start at LG. BUT, as I posted elsewhere (about a month ago), I was doubtful of that move (Beachum at LG) because if they were indeed going to make that move, why did they have Pouncey playing LG (instead of Beachum)??? Of course, the simple answer is that Beachum was playing RT... but, still... I had my doubts (even though I had indeed suggested that exact move).

3. Leverage.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #72
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I don't mind seeing Colon go - but, no Colon and no Starks and no Foster would be a big mistake IMO
I do not really have a problem with Beachum over The Colon (or, even over Foster).

Gilbert over Starks worries me a little bit. But, if the time is right (for Gilbert to take over), then the time is right.

[Personally, I do not know why Starks has been dismissed the past two seasons, and is now being shown the door. He has played great. I do not understand.]
Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #73
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I do not really have a problem with Beachum over The Colon (or, even over Foster).

Gilbert over Starks worries me a little bit. But, if the time is right (for Gilbert to take over), then the time is right.

[Personally, I do not know why Starks has been dismissed the past two seasons, and is now being shown the door. He has played great. I do not understand.]
I would not have a problem with Beachum over both of that guys too. But there should be security I think if he wins the job against Foster in the summer it's good if not let him be a Back Up.

Gilbert in my eyes played a great year till the injury cut him off. But I also would worry about him starting at Left Tackle. Could be a little bit too much for him. And Starks played decent this year. I would re-sign Starks.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steeler7BR For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #74
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

If the Steelers cut Willie Colon before June 1st they save 1.2 million on the cap for 2013.

If the Steelers cut Colon after June 1st they save 5.5 million on the cap hit for 2013 but counts as 4.3 million as a dead money hit in 2014.

Colon will probably be cut. Steelers need Legursky and Foster back more. They also need Starks back but for some reason in the past haven't seen it that way. Maybe Kugler didn't like Starks I have no idea.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #75
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Starks ate himself off the roster 2 years ago just like Trai Essex did and was reportedly close to 400lbs. Last season he was coming off an ACL injury so they didnt want to throw a lot of $$ at him.

The guy has played well the past 2 seasons, but I dont see the need to invest $5million in a guy that is older, never been that motivated to work on his conditioning and technique. Especially when you have 2 young draft picks that are on the roster.

Somebody else will play Starks a hefty $$. We could use the money elsewhere to spend on players. I welcome the Gilbert and Adams era!!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #76
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Cam is the best DL on the team. Ziggy is solid.

based on what?

your undying love?

Solid? hahaha - they are both stiffs, neither was worthy of a 1st rd pick and don't even try to compare them to Aaron Smith - that is laughable
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #77
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,555 Times in 886 Posts

If I were a betting man, Starks will get an offer he can't refuse from another team that we can't afford to match. I would not be surprised if Foster got a decent offer at $2mil and up, both getting market rates for being starters.

With Startks age, this is his last shot at big money, and he's got to take it. I hate to see him go as he's been a class act, a decent player, and best yet, we got him on the CHEAP!!! Next year, he will not be so cheap .

As for Foster, yep, he's played a lot, yep, he's been durable, and yes, he is position flexible, but at his absolute best, he is barely servicable. DeCastro is a big upgrade.

I'm on the edge when it comes to Colon. The guy was still trying to learn the position when he went down this year. What we saw of him at LG was a huge upgrade over Keomautu, which schocked the snot out of me. Not that Kemo was the good, it was how much of an improvement Colon made from week one in our running game.

Anyway, the guy, being as strong as he is, has a habit of overworking the physical limitations of his human anatomy, which resulted in IR for the 2010 and 2011 seasons. This last injury was a fluke, and with medical attention this offseason, he should be ready to go, knocking the crap out of whoever is in front of him. I hope this offseason he drops about 30-40lbs to reduce the stress to his body. My guess is he stays with a restructured contract.

Beachum will become our ultimate swing man, but will have the highest upside of any swingmen we've had in the past.

Malecki should make the 53, and may bounce Legs off the roster. We'll see.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #78
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,131 Times in 3,913 Posts

We don't need Starks or Foster back. Put Gilbert at LT, Adams at RT and see if Beachum has progressed and improved his technique enough to start at LG for us. If not, find a Guard in the draft or cheap in free agency. We don't need to draft one in the higher rounds or spend 2 - 3 million bringing back Foster if our younger guys are ready to go.

Gilbert - Beachum (potentially, if he's ready and improved) - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #79
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We don't need Starks or Foster back. Put Gilbert at LT, Adams at RT and see if Beachum has progressed and improved his technique enough to start at LG for us. If not, find a Guard in the draft or cheap in free agency. We don't need to draft one in the higher rounds or spend 2 - 3 million bringing back Foster if our younger guys are ready to go.

Gilbert - Beachum (potentially, if he's ready and improved) - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams
The problem is the even Beachum is ready to go, the OL would have zero depth then. Given the OL injury history, I'm not comfortable about that. I prefer:

Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

Beachum as a back up
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #80
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
The problem is the even Beachum is ready to go, the OL would have zero depth then. Given the OL injury history, I'm not comfortable about that. I prefer:

Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

Beachum as a back up
I hear you. Depth is very important, especially on this team.

That said, a couple of late-round picks can be the back-up for far cheaper than Foster. Foster will want (& will get) $3 million per year. Legursky, a R7 pick, and a URFA will cost $2.5 million total (with Legursky costing $1.75 million of that figure).