Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #81
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,634 Posts
Default Re: Steelers’ offensive front may see familiar faces leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
The problem is the even Beachum is ready to go, the OL would have zero depth then. Given the OL injury history, I'm not comfortable about that. I prefer:

Gilbert - Foster - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams

Beachum as a back up
This is what I can see. Foster is a dependable starter and I think a better guard than Beechum at this point. This is a young and cap friendly group, along with a guy like Legursky that is your backup interior lineman.

Add another later round interior lineman backup and a cheap free agent and you have your 9 man O line rotation.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #82
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21191

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
This team is going to have to make big - and rock the boat - kind of changes. We have a major salary cap issue right now. We're paying ALOT of money to some who are just, ummm, cruising along collecting checks.

I like Colon and when he plays, he's great. But all the holding penalties. False starts. Scuffles and temper issues. Is it worth it in the end? We had similar issues with Kemoeatu - could've been great - but dragged himself down with excessive performance penalties and temper issues that cost us more than it helped us.
Really, Colon isn't that special. he's a good, not great, straight ahead blocker but just average in space. We found that out this year. You're right though he's has an amazing ability to generate untimely holding calls, false starts and personal fouls. Oh, and then there's the fact he's been on the IR three years in a row now. There are a few tough decisions the Steelers have to make such as Wallace and maybe Mendenhall. Colon isn't one of them. Foster, at a lesser cap hit, has shown quality play and a level of durability that makes him a much wiser investment going forward--particularly for a cap-strapped team like the Steelers.
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #83
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I hear you. Depth is very important, especially on this team.

That said, a couple of late-round picks can be the back-up for far cheaper than Foster. Foster will want (& will get) $3 million per year. Legursky, a R7 pick, and a URFA will cost $2.5 million total (with Legursky costing $1.75 million of that figure).
Legursky is also a FA and I would let him go and give those money to Foster. Then ask Beachum to take some snaps at C in the coming years.

In this case the Steelers don't really need to spend a lot to keep Foster.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #84
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,443 Times in 10,323 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Legursky is also a FA and I would let him go and give those money to Foster. Then ask Beachum to take some snaps at C in the coming years.

In this case the Steelers don't really need to spend a lot to keep Foster.
I hear you: Foster is the better player (and, yes, Legursky is also a FA).

But, Legursky would be much cheaper. Foster started for two years, and will get $3 million. Legursky was "only" a back-up, and would be lucky to get $1.75 million.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #85
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default If this is true, so much for protecting Ben...

Per Ed Bouchette on Sulia:

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-...source=twitter

Quote:
The #Steelers offensive line will have a new look in 2013. Three veteran starters will be gone. Here's the new line

Three starters won't be back. Max Starks and Ramon Foster will leave as free agents and Willie Colon likely will be released.
The Steelers new offensive line will look like this LT Marcus Gilbert, LG Kelvin Beachum, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Mike Adams.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #86
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Re: If this is true, so much for protecting Ben...

What's wrong with the new line? The organization has high hopes for both Decastro and Adams. Pouncey is entrenched as a perennial Pro Bowler. Beachum looked somewhat promising when pressed into duty this year. Hopefully, Gilbert can get healthy and develop into a consistent tackle.

If everyone plays up to their potential, we have a young line made up of two former first-rounders and two second-rounders. Not too shabby. They have to make it work together on the field, though.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #87
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
how does ed bouchette officially know this???
Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #88
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
how does ed bouchette officially know this???
It seems to be speculation. After all, Bouchette did say that Hines Ward would remain with the Steelers in 2012 right up until the moment Ward was actually cut. But the Steelers have had the tendency to want to keep dead weight on defense at the expense of the offense.

If the Steelers really want to get serious about protecting Ben, cut the dead weight on defense, spend money on the o-line.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #89
GoFor7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
What's wrong with the new line? The organization has high hopes for both Decastro and Adams. Pouncey is entrenched as a perennial Pro Bowler. Beachum looked somewhat promising when pressed into duty this year. Hopefully, Gilbert can get healthy and develop into a consistent tackle.

If everyone plays up to their potential, we have a young line made up of two former first-rounders and two second-rounders. Not too shabby. They have to make it work together on the field, though.
Beachum isn't starter caliber, and there would be zero veteran presence. Not good enough for a team that claims it wants to protect its QB.

Like I said, cut the dead weight on defense, spend money on quality offensive linemen to protect the $102 million dollar investment.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #90
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,233 Times in 4,482 Posts
My Mood: Tired

personally, I still think letting Starks go would be a mistake. Starks doesn't give up sacks and he stays healthy.