Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #51
tanda10506
Team President
 
tanda10506's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Smoky Mountains, TN
Posts: 2,104
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17319
Thanks: 814
Thanked 367 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Clearly our WR's are overrated, our O line can't stay healthy, and our other talent positions on offense who are under performing (except Heath), but that doesn't mean that throwing a bunch of lame as screen plays and running out of the shotgun if at all was the answer.
__________________
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #52
austinfrench76
Head Coach
 
austinfrench76's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,770
Member Number: 3516
Thanks: 941
Thanked 651 Times in 395 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

No one was wrong about Arians!!! He got some praise and alot of deserved criticism!!!! Haley will be fine, and IMO, a VERY good OC for us. It will depend on Ben. He makes decisions within the offense that effect the outcome. Case in point, the Dallas game. He criticized Haley for not throwing more to Heath when the truth was that he audibled out of some of those plays bc the Defense dictated!! Haley will have more opps next year bc he will have another year under his belt with this offensive personnel. Give the man a chance!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #53
ETL
Team President
Supporter
 
ETL's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,446
Member Number: 14528
Thanks: 175
Thanked 510 Times in 231 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

People are so nearsighted on this board.

Waaaaay to early to give kudos to Arians for the success of the Colts this year.

Let's see how he does over time before issuing stupid apologies such as this.
__________________
ETL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #54
jiminpa
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 821
Member Number: 20511
Thanks: 107
Thanked 469 Times in 245 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
People are so nearsighted on this board.

Waaaaay to early to give kudos to Arians for the success of the Colts this year.

Let's see how he does over time before issuing stupid apologies such as this.
Don't worry, he'll fall back to his default ways soon enough, and I don't think the Colts will be nearly as patient.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #55
SteelBobbleHead
Draft Prospect
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 68
Member Number: 18077
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

I am not exactly sure how much blame to put on Haley. Rooney made it clear that he wanted a more efficient running game (he never said a dominant run game) and to keep Ben from taking so many hits.
IMO Haley accomplished both. We certainly converted more 3rd and shorts this year in the run game. That wasn't a hard upgrade since under Arians more often than not a 3rd and short was tried to be converted with an empty backfield.
Ben also took less hits this year, although that didn't keep him from getting hurt.
My main concern is that while to accomplish the goal of Ben taking less hits Haley also took away the strength of Ben and the WR's. These wr strength is to get up the field. Wallace has never been known for his route running ability. While he still ended the season with 8 TD's they still did not utilize his strength is stretching the field.
Brown and Sanders both have the ability to use their quickness in the short passing game but their lack of size does not suit them for the punishment they took from LB's.
Ben actually surprised me this year. I was one who never thought Ben was very good at reading the coverage, hence his propensity for holding onto the ball. He proved me wrong. He did very well in the " hitting his back foot and delivering the ball" approach. His accuracy was astounding.......up until his injury. After his return from injury Ben lost that accuracy. I contribute that to the injury. Anyone who has ever had a shoulder injury, or a rib injury know they are both extremely painful. I can't imagine how bad they would be together.
To my point now......what good is it to have Ben take less hits ( to prolong his carreer) if you aren't going to provide him with wr's that can thrive in a short passing game?

Last edited by SteelBobbleHead; 01-01-2013 at 07:45 PM.
SteelBobbleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #56
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,900
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 5,388
Thanked 4,724 Times in 2,230 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
"Roethlisberger can be a huge part of the Steelers resurgence next year... if he plays from within the team."


Sorry, I disagree.

Ben's stock-in-trade is his ability to make it up as he goes and he does his best work when he's allowed to improvise and that's what Arians tried to let him do. It's also why it never seemed as if there was much of a game plan but with a guy like Ben, that's the best it can look because it's impossible to "game plan" improvisation.

Haley, on the other hand, is trying to turn Ben into some sort of robot, pocket-passer and that's like trying using a Ferrari as a grocery-getter. But Haley's ego cannot allow Ben to be who he is because Ben - not Haley - might get the credit for doing great things and guys like Haley can't deal with that.

Arians had no such ego problems and thus was able to experiment and try to let Ben's strong points rule the day. It didn't always work, but more often than not it did and most importantly, Ben was comfortable and when you're comfortable, you tend to do your best work.

Ben is not and should not be a game-manager and Haley along with the Rooneys need to accept that.
Ben's plateaued. More fans need to accept that idea as well. It isn't a matter of him trying to prove his guts and sandlot style to the fans - he's already done that. People who notice that he is stuck at one phase of development are asking him to do more and he absolutely needs to evolve to keep his legacy growing. Ben has won in the most unorthodox ways - at that's great, but just doesn't cut it anymore. You can keep repeating 2x SB winning QB until your blue in the face, but I ask - where has that 4th quarter magic gone? It'll be going on 4 seasons until his last SB victory, but at his rate - that's more like 8 seasons for him. How much more time do you think we have left with him? You might have to accept that his biggest successes have come and gone already if he remains the same. Maybe it won't - maybe I'm totally wrong and his 30+ something body will revert back to its old self, and he'll run around and make something out of nothing even more than he ever did - that's what it will take in his current form. I think defenses have figured out a way to minimize that damage more often than they used to though.

Ben's strong points were great when he was still the fresh 20-something taking the league by storm. While he deserves all the praise for being gutsy - we need a lot more from Ben than guts. He needs to get back to where he was before KC game, and then build on it. Haley was in fact letting him be himself if the play broke down, but - it looked to me as their repertoire was growing, and he was getting the ball out to a variety of play-makers - even the freaking FB was becoming a factor.

If you want the fans who are criticizing Ben to shut up, he needs to go through his progressions, he needs to look off defenders, he needs to throw it away more often instead of hoping for the home-run and getting sacked out of field goal range. He needs to be smarter about reading the defense and audible into something that will actually exploit a weakness.

In short - I'm tired of the live by the sword, die by the sword, ever-growing close resemblance to Brett Favre. Mr. John Wayne can have his oohhs and ahhs. I want him to start having more faith in something other than his ego and come to the conclusion that he doesn't exactly know best - its proven already by lack of points, and the fact that he looks down upon the "dink and dunk" but sits back and praises players that have utilized it to perfection proves this madness.
__________________

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-02-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #57
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Ben's plateaued. More fans need to accept that idea as well. It isn't a matter of him trying to prove his guts and sandlot style to the fans - he's already done that. People who notice that he is stuck at one phase of development are asking him to do more and he absolutely needs to evolve to keep his legacy growing. Ben has won in the most unorthodox ways - at that's great, but just doesn't cut it anymore. You can keep repeating 2x SB winning QB until your blue in the face, but I ask - where has that 4th quarter magic gone? It'll be going on 4 seasons until his last SB victory, but at his rate - that's more like 8 seasons for him. How much more time do you think we have left with him? You might have to accept that his biggest successes have come and gone already if he remains the same. Maybe it won't - maybe I'm totally wrong and his 30+ something body will revert back to its old self, and he'll run around and make something out of nothing even more than he ever did - that's what it will take in his current form. I think defenses have figured out a way to minimize that damage more often than they used to though.

Ben's strong points were great when he was still the fresh 20-something taking the league by storm. While he deserves all the praise for being gutsy - we need a lot more from Ben than guts. He needs to get back to where he was before KC game, and then build on it. Haley was in fact letting him be himself if the play broke down, but - it looked to me as their repertoire was growing, and he was getting the ball out to a variety of play-makers - even the freaking FB was becoming a factor.

If you want the fans who are criticizing Ben to shut up, he needs to go through his progressions, he needs to look off defenders, he needs to throw it away more often instead of hoping for the home-run and getting sacked out of field goal range. He needs to be smarter about reading the defense and audible into something that will actually exploit a weakness.

In short - I'm tired of the live by the sword, die by the sword, ever-growing close resemblance to Brett Favre. Mr. John Wayne can have his oohhs and ahhs. I want him to start having more faith in something other than his ego and come to the conclusion that he doesn't exactly know best - its proven already by lack of points, and the fact that he looks down upon the "dink and dunk" but sits back and praises players that have utilized it to perfection proves this madness.
Or they need to let him win the game early instead of playing Marty ball and then asking Ben to bail them out at the end when that doesn't work.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #58
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,893
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 214
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Ben's plateaued. More fans need to accept that idea as well. It isn't a matter of him trying to prove his guts and sandlot style to the fans - he's already done that. People who notice that he is stuck at one phase of development are asking him to do more and he absolutely needs to evolve to keep his legacy growing. Ben has won in the most unorthodox ways - at that's great, but just doesn't cut it anymore. You can keep repeating 2x SB winning QB until your blue in the face, but I ask - where has that 4th quarter magic gone? It'll be going on 4 seasons until his last SB victory, but at his rate - that's more like 8 seasons for him. How much more time do you think we have left with him? You might have to accept that his biggest successes have come and gone already if he remains the same. Maybe it won't - maybe I'm totally wrong and his 30+ something body will revert back to its old self, and he'll run around and make something out of nothing even more than he ever did - that's what it will take in his current form. I think defenses have figured out a way to minimize that damage more often than they used to though.

Ben's strong points were great when he was still the fresh 20-something taking the league by storm. While he deserves all the praise for being gutsy - we need a lot more from Ben than guts. He needs to get back to where he was before KC game, and then build on it. Haley was in fact letting him be himself if the play broke down, but - it looked to me as their repertoire was growing, and he was getting the ball out to a variety of play-makers - even the freaking FB was becoming a factor.

If you want the fans who are criticizing Ben to shut up, he needs to go through his progressions, he needs to look off defenders, he needs to throw it away more often instead of hoping for the home-run and getting sacked out of field goal range. He needs to be smarter about reading the defense and audible into something that will actually exploit a weakness.

In short - I'm tired of the live by the sword, die by the sword, ever-growing close resemblance to Brett Favre. Mr. John Wayne can have his oohhs and ahhs. I want him to start having more faith in something other than his ego and come to the conclusion that he doesn't exactly know best - its proven already by lack of points, and the fact that he looks down upon the "dink and dunk" but sits back and praises players that have utilized it to perfection proves this madness.
Right there. That is a fact.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #59
GoFor7
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,353
Member Number: 24211
Thanks: 32
Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Ben's plateaued. More fans need to accept that idea as well. It isn't a matter of him trying to prove his guts and sandlot style to the fans - he's already done that. People who notice that he is stuck at one phase of development are asking him to do more and he absolutely needs to evolve to keep his legacy growing. Ben has won in the most unorthodox ways - at that's great, but just doesn't cut it anymore. You can keep repeating 2x SB winning QB until your blue in the face, but I ask - where has that 4th quarter magic gone? It'll be going on 4 seasons until his last SB victory, but at his rate - that's more like 8 seasons for him. How much more time do you think we have left with him? You might have to accept that his biggest successes have come and gone already if he remains the same. Maybe it won't - maybe I'm totally wrong and his 30+ something body will revert back to its old self, and he'll run around and make something out of nothing even more than he ever did - that's what it will take in his current form. I think defenses have figured out a way to minimize that damage more often than they used to though.

Ben's strong points were great when he was still the fresh 20-something taking the league by storm. While he deserves all the praise for being gutsy - we need a lot more from Ben than guts. He needs to get back to where he was before KC game, and then build on it. Haley was in fact letting him be himself if the play broke down, but - it looked to me as their repertoire was growing, and he was getting the ball out to a variety of play-makers - even the freaking FB was becoming a factor.

If you want the fans who are criticizing Ben to shut up, he needs to go through his progressions, he needs to look off defenders, he needs to throw it away more often instead of hoping for the home-run and getting sacked out of field goal range. He needs to be smarter about reading the defense and audible into something that will actually exploit a weakness.

In short - I'm tired of the live by the sword, die by the sword, ever-growing close resemblance to Brett Favre. Mr. John Wayne can have his oohhs and ahhs. I want him to start having more faith in something other than his ego and come to the conclusion that he doesn't exactly know best - its proven already by lack of points, and the fact that he looks down upon the "dink and dunk" but sits back and praises players that have utilized it to perfection proves this madness.
A lot of fans still have trouble getting the fact he can't always bail the team out when they choose to play Marty ball for the first 58 minutes...

Like I said - more points earlier.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #60
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter
 
pczach's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,491
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24694
Thanks: 10,587
Thanked 9,490 Times in 3,698 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: An Apology to Arians! I Was Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Ben's and Eli's teams have won 4 of the last 7 SBs. As far as how much contribution these 2 had in their respective wins, I will say that Ben's contribution was extremely poor compared to Eli's.
He threw a combined total of 1 TD pass and 3 INT in the 2 SBs he won.
Eli threw 3TD passes and 1 INT in the 2 SBs he won.

It's not even necessary to look at the QB ratings for these 4 SBs because the domination of Eli is even more obvious. Ben holds a record that will be very hard to beat : a QB rating of 22.6 in the SB against Seattle.
So let's see. Eli spins around, escapes the rush, throws up a prayer, and the ball sticks to the helmet of his TE. An unbelievable catch! He then throws the game-winning TD to a dominant WR, Plaxico Burress, Who easily beats his man and is wide open for the winning score(You know, the guy Ben didn't have to throw to anymore). Oh, and Eli's front four dominate Tom Brady "The Best QB Ever", and the Giants win the game.

In Ben's super bowl against the Cardinals, He was the entire offense for the Steelers. Making escape after escape and moving the chains. His#1 ranked defense giving up a 2 score lead again, only to have Ben lead his team 90 yards(All Ben) for the game winning TD. He had to make the winning throw twice because his receiver dropped the first perfect pass that would have won the game. He had to throw a second perfect game-winning TD pass to a receiver that was covered like tighty whities on a fat ass.Then he had to watch his WR win MVP of the super bowl when everybody that saw the game knows Ben Roethlisberger won that game for the Steelers.

Anything you'd like to add?
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts