Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #41
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,992 Times in 8,013 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Top seventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Teegre you got your wish after the game Elam announced that he is declaring for the draft
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-sugar-bowl/
Is it December 25th??? Because, I just hit another gift!!!

You made my day, brother.

Now... one more gift/request... make Christmas come one final time on April 25th (or, early on April 26th).
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #42
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsteelers View Post
all i know is Matt Elam has the steeler look to him.
Yes... he certainly does.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #43
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
No way that those 4 QBs are going in the top 16. IMO, no QB will be off the board at that point, unless it's Geno (maybe)
Should those four QBs go in the top 16?
No.

Could they easily creep into the top 16, because QBs are over-drafted?
Absolutely.

There are numerous teams that need a QB. Those teams "could" wait until R2 (as Cincy did with Dalton), but more often than not, they reach in R1 (as opposed to missing out on them in R2).

Think about it this way:
Let's use the NYJets as an example. They need a QB. They can take one at 9... or, hope that one drops to 40. Chances are, since other teams also need QBs, someone will jump in front of them; hence, the NYJets would probably need to move back into R1 (at 30-32)... which would cost them next year's R1 pick. [Note: Trading into 31-32 would simultaneously be making the "rich get richer": a SuperBowl team would get an extra R1 pick.]

So, like Christian Ponder, these four QBs have a good chance of being drafted "higher than expected."

Chiefs
Jags
Raidahs
Eagles
Cards
Bills
NYJets
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #44
nj1923steelgirl
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24521

I know there is no chance for this but I would LOVE for us to get Te'o
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #45
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,452 Times in 4,045 Posts

Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are both first round locks. While only really Geno Smith deserves to go this high, teams will overdraft Barkley in hopes of rebuilding a franchise. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying the Jets will take Barkley at 9, hoping to Jesus (or Tebow) that he can be the starter in New York. So, when this experiment fails in another 4 - 5 years, they'll be drafting one again.

Look for the Bills to also reach for a quarterback in the first round. Ryan Fitzpatrick is awful. Just awful. I know they threw their confidence behind him and said "he's our guy", but they also said Chain Gailey was "their guy" so I'm putting no stock into what they're saying. At all.

The Eagles have to do something as do the Cards. While it's less-likely that a QB goes to either of these teams, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did take one. Whoever the new HC of the Eagles is probably won't want Napoleon Dynamite ... oh, sorry, Nick Foles, as their starting quarterback heading into the future. The Cardinals have Kevin Kolb, John Skelton and Ryan Lindley as their Quarterbacks and all three have started games this year. Now, I don't really need to go into depth as to why that's a huge red flag and an issue that needs to be resolved but I will say that if Haley does head into Arizona, he's going to want a Quarterback they can build a franchise around.

That's 5 teams that all have the potential to take one in the first round. Realistically, as Teegre pointed out, there's 7 teams that could make a move for a QB in the first round. Obviously they all won't, but I'm willing to bet the farm that all 7 of those teams draft one within the first three rounds and at least three of them reach for one in the first round.

All of this means good things for us, as the more QBs taken off the board leaves more prospects for us.

edit -- also, I'm going to add to this list. The Cowboys have a shot at taking a Quarterback in the first round. They're picking after us, sure, but they traded up last year to get Claiborne and I can see them doing it again to grab a QB. If they trade with a team like Miami that doesn't need a Quarterback, then it's one more pick that we don't have to worry about. I'm telling you, we're going to have our choice of pass-rushers in this draft.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #46
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,257 Times in 4,390 Posts
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj1923steelgirl View Post
I know there is no chance for this but I would LOVE for us to get Te'o
you never know, everyone was saying the same thing about David DeCastro last year...
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #47
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
you never know, everyone was saying the same thing about David DeCastro last year...
This is different, though. There's at least two teams that could use his services and one of them will probably cut their defensive captain and starting MLB this offseason to save cap space. I'm telling you guys right now - Te'o isn't going to be on the board when we pick and even if he is, if there are elite pass-rushing prospects on the board (there will be) we can't take him.

I'll settle for Nico Johnson in the fourth as our starting ILB with Timmons.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #48
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
This is different, though. There's at least two teams that could use his services and one of them will probably cut their defensive captain and starting MLB this offseason to save cap space. I'm telling you guys right now - Te'o isn't going to be on the board when we pick and even if he is, if there are elite pass-rushing prospects on the board (there will be) we can't take him.

DALLAS
You are correct. As soon as that final game ended, the rumor-mill in Dallas was flurry with talk about replacing Romo. It would not surprise me AT ALL if Dallas drafted a QB in R1.

I think that they need O-line, but I could see them drafting a QB... and, to ensure that they got "their guy", even trading up a few spots to nab him.

TE'O DROPPING
Wait... I thought that you had said that Te'o would drop to 17. You can't be playing with my emotions, man.

Really though, I had already convinced myself that he is a Charger.

PASS-RUSHER
I am convinced that not only will a great OLB be there, that the Steelers will have their choice of about five of them.

Three of those QBs will go top 16 (if not all four). Three O-linemen will go top 16. A WR will sneaks in there. And, Dee Milliner, and Manti Te'o. That has nine players, leaving eight players for the Steelers.

I see Mingo, Jordan, Ogletree, Montgomery, & Okafor being there.

If they have a choice of five, I say that they trade back five spots (to 21), and take whichever pass-rusher is left over... (an pick up an extra R2 pick).

Then, with that extra, newly-acquired pick (I know that you what I am going to say)... trade back into the end of R1, and draft Matt Elam.

21 - Dion Jordan
32 - Matt Elam

NICO JOHNSON
We have agreed from day-one: Nico Johnson will be a Steeler.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #49
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
TE'O DROPPING
Wait... I thought that you had said that Te'o would drop to 17. You can't be playing with my emotions, man.

Really though, I had already convinced myself that he is a Charger.
The chances of him dropping to 17 are low at best. The Saints are in a worse cap situation than we are at roughly 17.5 million over the cap. Vilma is set to make 6.5 million dollars - a direct cap hit - and with the baggage that comes with him regarding the 'Bountygate' scandal, I'm almost positive they're letting him go. That, and he's on the wrong side of 30 now.

And with the 15th overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select ... Manti Te'o, Linebacker - Notre Dame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
PASS-RUSHER
I am convinced that not only will a great OLB be there, that the Steelers will have their choice of about five of them.

Three of those QBs will go top 16 (if not all four). Three O-linemen will go top 16. A WR will sneaks in there. And, Dee Milliner, and Manti Te'o. That has nine players, leaving eight players for the Steelers.

I see Mingo, Jordan, Ogletree, Montgomery, & Okafor being there.

If they have a choice of five, I say that they trade back five spots (to 21), and take whichever pass-rusher is left over... (an pick up an extra R2 pick).

Then, with that extra, newly-acquired pick (I know that you what I am going to say)... trade back into the end of R1, and draft Matt Elam.

21 - Dion Jordan
32 - Matt Elam

NICO JOHNSON
We have agreed from day-one: Nico Johnson will be a Steeler.
This scenario just makes me happy. So, so happy.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #50
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

I would not settle for nico Johnson. His strength is in run support and has a major weakness in coverage. And what we need next to Timmons is a linebacker who is good at dropping back in coverage to allow Timmons what he does very well disrupting the back field. We don't see much of it because Timmons is in coverage a lot but when he does blitz something good happens.

Nico had a good jr year but was also playing with Hightower an ups has so the focus was on those two. He's sr year he didn't have the production he had a year before.

I do not want to "settle" for a ilb it's a major need and we need a quality player
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote