Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #111
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,383 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: The scoring problem has nothing to do with the passing game

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
The Steelers lack killer instinct. Get up 7 or more, they pull the plug on the offense. Hate that philosophy. Bury the opponent, don't "keep it close and find a way to win" unless you are severely overmatched, which the Steelers rarely are.

If they try to play everyone close, they're going to have seasons like this, where a play here or there turns several games the wrong way. You never hear Belichick saying "there's a fine line" or "we didn't make significant plays at significant times". That's because he tries to win every game by 30 and his players take on that mindset.
killer instinct is exactly right - I see way too many instances of throwing up their hands, actually smiling when a drive fails - I don't see a lot of heated passion from anyone on that offense, unless that is, if they make a first down catch, then there's a lot of that meaningful flexing going on . . .
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #112
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
killer instinct is exactly right - I see way too many instances of throwing up their hands, actually smiling when a drive fails - I don't see a lot of heated passion from anyone on that offense, unless that is, if they make a first down catch, then there's a lot of that meaningful flexing going on . . .
I watched a youtube clip of Tom Brady yelling at his teammates. He was livid that they weren't executing. They were up 10-3 over the Steelers at the time.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #113
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Interesting read from Steelers Depot about why the offense faultered in the last few games. It points to more besides Ben's injury:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...n-the-stretch/
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #114
Steeler7BR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24703

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Interesting read from Steelers Depot about why the offense faultered in the last few games. It points to more besides Ben's injury:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/01...n-the-stretch/
When you see the stats it don't put Haley in a very good light here because obviously the short throws that Haley wanted all year didn't worked anymore at the end of the season.

Did Ben flinch a little bit at the end? Yes. Did Haley offense was to uncreative and to predictable at the end of the year? I think so.
Steeler7BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #115
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,671 Times in 982 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Exactly what I've said elsewhere. Teams just took away all the short routes and were able to get pressure on Roethlisberger before he could throw it longer, especially once the offensive line started to get injured (again). It didn't help that the WRs are all smurfs who can't beat press coverage, or that the running game was unable to pick up the slack. As for Todd Haley, if he sticks around, then I have faith that he'll make adjustments going forward, which was too much to ask of his predecessor. And Roethlisberger's injury did still play a part in this whole mess. Just because he was accurate on a few notable throws doesn't mean that his shoulder wasn't bothering him.

This season could best be described as "death by a thousand cuts."
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-11-2013), NSMaster56 (01-11-2013), teegre (01-11-2013)