Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: The scoring problem has nothing to do with the passing game

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I agree with you - its a catch 22 for me, which is why I said I think its a 50/50 toss up getting rid of Mendy and putting hope on an new unknown. I absolutely would not go high on a RB this draft - and I admit, I don't know enough of what's out there over the next couple of drafts to even truly speak about considering it next season or the season after. This is a bigger problem than most think - we absolutely need someone who can step up quick and take the pressure off Ben - we MIGHT have 5-6 seasons left with him - my guess is 3 to 4. I could be wrong - but some things are looking disheartening and in my own selfish viewpoint - I think becoming a father might have taken some of his desire out of it - anyways, back to RB

I wouldn't have a problem with the tweets if he didn't find himself in the doghouse, and hesitant. Everyone is going to have a bad game. And yes, I agree - I think Arians really messed him up on top of the injury and utilized him horribly (basically hardly got to practice during Arians tenure - an effing shame to do that to a 1st round pick)

It was also unfortunate that Mendy's welcome to the NFL moment was such a negative one. It is one thing to get absolutely blown up on a play - it's another to get sidelined so quickly before even having a chance. I'd imagine it takes quite a bit of mental fortitude to fight back from something that viscous, and still have the confidence to go full speed into a bunch of guys that want to annihilate you. I wouldn't be shocked if we kept him, and who knows, maybe this was the final straw that broke Mendy's BS - maybe he like the receivers have been humbled and humiliated enough this season.

We'll see, but we need a constant staple at RB that will take the pressure off
Yeah I agree that another RB should probably be added.

In all honesty if it was my show I'd probably get rid of Dwyer, and Batch and try again.

Dwyer gets gassed and can't handle a load, and Batch is Rainey lite without the return duty.

I would like to see Haley develop Rainey into a 3rd down RB.

Mendenhall can do everything well. I hope he comes back.

Mendenhall is good all around. Redman is good at short yardage. Rainey is a threat to break one long after a catch. Add another RB on the second day in the draft and hope for the best.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,803 Times in 1,825 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
You could be right, lets see if the running game is working than your QB does not have to pass as much, yet the offense scores more. A fing brilliant concept, why did we not think of it sooner. Oh snap, that what the Steelers did in the 70's I knew I learned that from somewhere.

Hey ya'll keep blaming Ben for the bad offense and keep giving Haley a free ride and the run game too, even the lack of TO created by the defense or the lack of an occasional game breaking ST play, I am sure you will be here next year when he plays good(NOT) yet stay away if he plays bad(once again NOT). I for one quit following game day threads because of the snide remarks even before games started, another sign that you will not even give him a chance. Hate is strong emotion continue to use the force.
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
Hate? Neh. Bitching - you bet I demand that he up his game. He is capable of being more. Or - is he? That is why I bitch.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #23
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,587 Posts

Great post OP.

You really outline the need for a balanced O and make the case that forcing Big Ben to be the Alpha and Omega of the offense has not netted positive results.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,426 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
I put a lot of the blame on the running game. We do NOT have a franchise HB right now, period.
While it's unlikely that he returns, do you think that Mendy could be a solid enough back to compliment FA/developmental player/rookie X next year?
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
You could be right, lets see if the running game is working than your QB does not have to pass as much, yet the offense scores more. A fing brilliant concept, why did we not think of it sooner. Oh snap, that what the Steelers did in the 70's I knew I learned that from somewhere.

Hey ya'll keep blaming Ben for the bad offense and keep giving Haley a free ride and the run game too, even the lack of TO created by the defense or the lack of an occasional game breaking ST play, I am sure you will be here next year when he plays good(NOT) yet stay away if he plays bad(once again NOT). I for one quit following game day threads because of the snide remarks even before games started, another sign that you will not even give him a chance. Hate is strong emotion continue to use the force.
Give me the benefit of the doubt. If our offense scores 415pts and we make the playoffs as AFC North winner, I won't complain.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #26
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
While it's unlikely that he returns, do you think that Mendy could be a solid enough back to compliment FA/developmental player/rookie X next year?
If focused, hungry Mendy shows up I believe this is doable. He would need to be given a real chance again, and no running by committee stuff - I really thought it was working going into the KC game, but, you need a really healthy full stable to do it. After second glance, and based on what the O-line has said - might want the main back in there consistently. I'd love to see him get a chance with Johnson leading the way - might do wonders - and, certainly not going to be any worse than what we've witnessed - so , why not? I wouldn't be hurt to see Mendy go, and, I really don't like some of the commitment probs I've witnessed - but, this I would think would be his last, real shot or he would be good as gone. No more opportunities left for him.

Would anyone else consider shifting Rainey to more of a Woodhead role? I think he needs to be in there a little longer, rather than just bringing him in and the D will blow him up right away. Need to get a little more creative with him. To me, he should be full time KR. Not PR - not enough field of vision for him to protect himself IMO

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:

Why don't you give the defense a break? Talking about their turnovers! Shame!

Steelers D has been in the top 10 in yards allowed and points allowed every year Ben has been in the league... and now they are getting older and you have the nerve to blame the D the first time they show they are human! Shaaaaaame!

Is it the same defense it was 3 years ago? Nope. Not nearly as good. Polamalu is getting older and Harrison is likely gone. They can't carry the D so now the D can't carry Ben. But you know what? They shouldn't have to.

How about the "top 5 quarterback" puts up one top 5 offense some time in the near future? He is going to have to do it in spite of his coordinators- they are only holding him back.

"Dear Steelers #1 Defense, you aren't doing enough. Please cause more turnovers and hold everyone to ten points a game. That way our quarterback can actually win games. He doesn't do so well if you score more than 20. Sincerely, a concerned fan."

Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Give me the benefit of the doubt. If our offense scores 415pts and we make the playoffs as AFC North winner, I won't complain.
Steelers have only scored more than 400 points one time... under Neil ODonnell. 1995. Bring back Neil!

And because I like to compare Ben's offense to Brady's offense... the Patriots have scored more than 400 points in 7 of Ben's 9 seasons including scoring more than 500 in each of the last 3.

Don't worry though folks... Ben will be elite one day... he just needs a little more time.

Until then the defense has to hold the opposition under 14 or the Steelers are gonna lose a lot of games.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I am sorry , I was talking team needs, like the need for effective rushing, some ST plays that actually help the team and not hamper. The defense is not immune to criticism or is that just for the offense and the QB position. We are 24th in the league in TO differential at -10, we have had only one defensive score this year and none on ST, LLoyd you are the one who ponied out the Chicago offense in earlier threads but they had 9 TDs by the defense and ST. I am willing to except the offense was a problem, I am willing to accept that Ben was part of that problem this year, why can't ya'll accept that the defense while #1 in yards and scoring still failed at plays that are game changers, and that the run game was anemic. BTW that elite carp is gettin old, I do not come here every thread touting Ben as elite. I do not compare Ben to Brady or Peyton yet its the only assessment that can make nay sense of your arguments. Why do you not post a rebuttal to the Bradshaw myth, facts scare you dont they.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #30
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Why don't you give the defense a break? Talking about their turnovers! Shame!

Steelers D has been in the top 10 in yards allowed and points allowed every year Ben has been in the league... and now they are getting older and you have the nerve to blame the D the first time they show they are human! Shaaaaaame!

Is it the same defense it was 3 years ago? Nope. Not nearly as good. Polamalu is getting older and Harrison is likely gone. They can't carry the D so now the D can't carry Ben. But you know what? They shouldn't have to.

How about the "top 5 quarterback" puts up one top 5 offense some time in the near future? He is going to have to do it in spite of his coordinators- they are only holding him back.

"Dear Steelers #1 Defense, you aren't doing enough. Please cause more turnovers and hold everyone to ten points a game. That way our quarterback can actually win games. He doesn't do so well if you score more than 20. Sincerely, a concerned fan."
I am concerned with the lack of turnovers, however, I do think it has a lot to do with masking the decline and adding additional coverage assignments for the OLBs, Safeties helping more often to aid in developing emerging corners. I saw way more aggression out of the defense the last 2 weeks so, I do think they are capable of getting back at least 40-50% of the turnovers, sacks they used to get. I really felt the defense was ready for a run based on the way they rectified corner coverage and the perimeter issues. Such a shame.

Ben absolutely needs to be the leader and find a way to get 1 season of elite offense going - we absolutely need him to make it happen with his crew for them to seek #7- it cannot be on his skill set alone.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters