Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #71
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default Re: The scoring problem has nothing to do with the passing game

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I agree with most of what's being said on this thread but mainly that Identity is a word that escapes the Steeler offense. 1st, because of Ben and the fact that he is an elite QB who wants to throw the ball. Secondly, because Arians was his OC for the majority of his career and a push over. Hence, we don't really have a balanced Offense becasue we don't know how too. Since Ben got here, he HAS been at war with the Steelers. They basically fired Arians becasue of it.
I wish you would not use the word Elite, it just stirs up issues. Ben wants to throw the ball, no argument from me, name a QB that does not want to throw the ball. As far as being at war with the Steelers I just cant agree with that as an absolute, for one thing a lot of current and former players have been at odds with the Steelers for various reasons. I know that Ben has not fully bought into Haley and whether we failed this season because of it or because of the system its self is what is really up to debate. I for one believe it to be a matter of both, Ben was not as good late in the season and after watching Haleys offense the last few games I have to agree he did Ben no favors. On the other hand I saw Ben and the offense coinciding early and to me at least they looked pretty good. This season may be a waste to some but if the participates take what they learned and use it next season we could see a much improved team.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #72
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,665 Times in 617 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Wow. 2007 was the only year Ben was voted to the Pro Bowl. In 2011, he got in only because Brady stepped out.
In 2011, Ben Roethlisberger received the second-most votes of all AFC QBs, so he was, in fact, voted to the Pro Bowl. Oops.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
Edman (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #73
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,963 Times in 1,920 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I wish you would not use the word Elite, it just stirs up issues. Ben wants to throw the ball, no argument from me, name a QB that does not want to throw the ball. As far as being at war with the Steelers I just cant agree with that as an absolute, for one thing a lot of current and former players have been at odds with the Steelers for various reasons. I know that Ben has not fully bought into Haley and whether we failed this season because of it or because of the system its self is what is really up to debate. I for one believe it to be a matter of both, Ben was not as good late in the season and after watching Haleys offense the last few games I have to agree he did Ben no favors. On the other hand I saw Ben and the offense coinciding early and to me at least they looked pretty good. This season may be a waste to some but if the participates take what they learned and use it next season we could see a much improved team.
this^ if they build on it - watch out.

Winning is a great medicine for any inside issues.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #74
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
You can not judge Haley's offense by the last two games. Haley ran the ball against Cincy because the Steelers ran all over them in their first meeting, the weather was terrible and that means running is a good idea, and Ben had just lost the 2 previous games throwing more than 40 times. Antonio Brown lost the Dallas game with a fumble but Ben lost the Cincy game with a pick 6. It was a team effort.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #75
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
You have to keep Ben under the bus. It is your job as a civilized person.

"Next, Porter took Roethlisberger to task for separating himself from the team, according to Davenport.

"Last year you used to hang out with us," Davenport recalls Joey Porter saying. "This year, it's like 'the Pittsburgh Steelers and Ben.'" " From ESPN

It has been the Steelers vs. Ben for a long time now... since 2006. If you let off that gas pedal and Roethlisberger gets out from under that bus... then the rest of the Steelers are going under the bus.

Didn't you read the posts calling for LeBeau to step down after 9 straight top 10 defenses? The calls for a new OC? New RBs?

All most fans want is for Ben to stop openly criticizing his OC's "dink and dunk" offense. All most fans want is the return of a balanced offense.
Bingo. Ben should shut the hell up.

I don't care if it's dink and dunk or stale or Cowherball or whatever the hell it's called. It's working and it's helping the team. Ben the Mr. Know-It-All is a significant factor in the downfall of the 2012 campaign, throwing the season away because he wanted to do what he wanted to prove something to the Rooneys and the Organization. Yeah, he proved something alright, and a lingering sentiment that hung around since his rookie year. That it is best for the team if the offense isn't in your hands.

The Running game has to improve. It is a MUST.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
plenewken (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #76
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Bingo. Ben should shut the hell up.

I don't care if it's dink and dunk or stale or Cowherball or whatever the hell it's called. It's working and it's helping the team. Ben the Mr. Know-It-All is a significant factor in the downfall of the 2012 campaign, throwing the season away because he wanted to do what he wanted to prove something to the Rooneys and the Organization. Yeah, he proved something alright, and a lingering sentiment that hung around since his rookie year. That it is best for the team if the ball isn't in your hands.

The Running game has to improve. It is a MUST.
Yeah the running game has to improve. Those that want Ben to throw more make my head spin. The idea that Ben was going to air it out to victory is why the personnel exists on the Steelers the way it does.

Haley marks a change in philosophy. As soon as Arians goes the first 2 draft picks are offensive line- a commitment to the run. DeCastro was a major indicator of the direction the team wants to go. Mike Adams was a reminder.

The team is already moving towards the run. Because of the injuries to the line Haley used passes to running backs in place of a running game. I hope to see more run next year.

And to be fair Ben's passing totals are inflated. Short passes to the running backs are really handoffs. He isn't throwing 35-40 times a game it is more like 30-35.

Ben should welcome the new offense. It is going to pad his stats in completion % and tds and result in fewer interceptions. It is also going to take him to the superbowl again if he buys in. If Ben gets a superbowl MVP I will gladly shut up forever.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #77
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Ben is 55-10 lifetime when he throws fewer than 30 times in a game.
Are we really back to that stupid shit again?

Here are Roethlisberger's career numbers on pass attempts 31 and higher:

278/444, 3,343 yards, 23 TD, 18 INT -- 86.0 rating

Now, to show you how significantly one bad season skews the numbers, here are his career numbers on pass attempts 31 and higher minus 2006:

240/375, 2,863 yards, 22 TD, 11 INT -- 94.6 rating

Outside the 2006 season, Roethlisberger has a 2/1 TD/INT ratio on pass attempts 31 and higher. That doesn't sound like somebody who's a liability when attempting more than 30 passes. If anything, that sounds like somebody who should be trusted with the ball.

It's a shame that one bad season out of nine could have such a negative impact on his numbers, and an even bigger shame that people still want to dwell in 2006, as though a) that season is anywhere close to the norm for Roethlisberger, and b) he hasn't become a better QB since then.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #78
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Quote:
And to be fair Ben's passing totals are inflated. Short passes to the running backs are really handoffs. He isn't throwing 35-40 times a game it is more like 30-35.
Well then Drew Brees only throws 20 to 25 times per game instead of 40.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #79
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Are we really back to that stupid shit again?

Here are Roethlisberger's career numbers on pass attempts 31 and higher:

278/444, 3,343 yards, 23 TD, 18 INT -- 86.0 rating

Now, to show you how significantly one bad season skews the numbers, here are his career numbers on pass attempts 31 and higher minus 2006:

240/375, 2,863 yards, 22 TD, 11 INT -- 94.6 rating[

Outside the 2006 season, Roethlisberger has a 2/1 TD/INT ratio on pass attempts 31 and higher. That doesn't sound like somebody who's a liability when attempting more than 30 passes. If anything, that sounds like a QB who should be trusted with the ball.

It's a shame that one bad season out of nine could have such a negative impact on his numbers, and an even bigger shame that people still want to dwell in 2006, as though a) that season is anywhere close to the norm for Roethlisberger, and b) he hasn't become a better QB since then.
He has become a better quarterback but that does not change the fact that he needs the run to win. The Steelers must implement the run. His record when throwing fewer than 30 times is a helluva lot better than his record when he throws more than 30 times. 5-5 when over and 2-1 when under in 2012. 9-4 when over 3-0 when under in 2011. 13-8 when over and 5-1 when under over the last 2 seasons.

Ben needs a running game same as every other quarterback.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #80
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Well then Drew Brees only throws 20 to 25 times per game instead of 40.
Brees throws 35 times a game if you subtract passes to running backs. Ben throws 30 times a game if you subtract passes to running backs.