Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #41
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Ben admits he rushed back too soon

Colts 2005 O-Line: UDFA, UDFA, 4th rd pick, 5th rd pick, 1st rd pick

20 sacks allowed on 473 passing plays

Steelers 2005 O-Line: 3rd pick, 2nd pick, 1st pick, 1st pick, 1st pick

35 sacks allowed on 302 passing plays

Even when Ben did have a decent offensive line he still took a ton of sacks.

Once again his team is blamed for his play style and shortcomings.

Roethlisberger is 30th among active quarterbacks in % of plays he gets sacked.

P Manning is 1st, Brees is 2nd, E Manning is 4th, Brady is 8th. Rodgers plays like Ben and is 27th.

Manning must be the hardest qb to sack because of the "elite" UDFA line he played with for most of his career.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #42
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post
Typical Ben.

Honestly, you guys are always claiming Brady is this huge skirt but take a look at Ben. He's constantly making excuses and looking for sympathy. He looks for sympathy about 3 or 4 times a season with his constant harpings on his injuries to the media.

I can think of no other player in the league who mentions his injuries to the media more than Big Ben. Woe is me, all the time.

I just don't think a quarterback with true grit is constantly whining to journalists about how hurt he is.

Steeler fans over estimate and in some cases even completely invent the `toughness` of Big Ben.
It's worse when you consider Ben takes a hard beating because he brings it upon himself. Steelers fans, or rather Ben fanboys are quick to point fingers at the OL, the coordinators, and the monthly moon cycles for why Ben takes a beatdown each and every year.

The Steelers O-Line isn't bad, it's just that Ben's a sandlot dope who holds onto the ball too long and plays like he's drunk when he steps out on the field. You could put the 80's Hogs out there and it doesn't even matter. Ben will still act like he's some kind of Superman and put his body at risk trying to do everything to build his "legend".

When he played smart ball under Haley early in 2012, we noticed how he wasn't taking as much of a beating as he used to. Because he was getting rid of the ball quickly and playing smart, both last year and this year killed the Steelers because Ben wanted to be dumb.

We have some here saying "at least Ben isn't a wimp like Brady", well guess what? Brady doesn't miss a game and Ben had to miss four, jeopardizing the Steelers season yet again. Steelers finish 8-8 and the Pats are back in the postseason. Yeah, that "toughness" of Ben really paid off.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #43
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Member Number: 20804

Everyone wants to be tough. Everyone thinks of themselves as tough.
Actions speak louder than words, though, and actions reveal character or lack of character.

I know of no other player in the NFL that nails himself to a cross for the media more often than Big Ben does and considering the number of Terrel Owens like drama queens in the NFL, that's saying something. Every year it's the same thing, with Ben going to the media to throw a pity party for himself.

There's a lot of tough guys on the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I can't even imagine being tackled by any of them, but that said, just wearing the Black & Yellow alone does not make you tough.

Ben certainly isn't.

There's also the issue with him calling out his own offensive coordinator, once again to the media, like some teenage school girl who doesn't know when to keep things in house. He sounds to me like a man with a fragile ego.
PATS16N0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #44
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post
Everyone wants to be tough. Everyone thinks of themselves as tough.
Actions speak louder than words, though, and actions reveal character or lack of character.

I know of no other player in the NFL that nails himself to a cross for the media more often than Big Ben does and considering the number of Terrel Owens like drama queens in the NFL, that's saying something. Every year it's the same thing, with Ben going to the media to throw a pity party for himself.

There's a lot of tough guys on the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I can't even imagine being tackled by any of them, but that said, just wearing the Black & Yellow alone does not make you tough.

Ben certainly isn't.

There's also the issue with him calling out his own offensive coordinator, once again to the media, like some teenage school girl who doesn't know when to keep things in house. He sounds to me like a man with a fragile ego.
I would not say ben isn't tough. He is a tough quarterback. No qb takes more hits- it is just that with Ben it is his own doing and he is in his 30s still taking those big hits by holding the ball.

In the end what matters is the qb stays on the field. P Manning has been able to do that by not taking sacks. The least mobile quarterback in the NFL takes the fewest sacks- think about that for a second.

Toughness is not the defining attribute of a quarterback. Leadership and decision making are the defining attributes of quarterbacks.

I like toughness in an OLB and in a RB.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #45
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

Decisions and ball velocity go hand in hand. Injury doesn't affect the former but it does the latter. You make decisions as an athlete based on what you know you're capable of (e.g., fitting the ball in a tight space). Sometimes when you are injured, in real time your brain doesn't compute that there is a limitation.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #46
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
Exactly. Steeler fans are spoiled brats. People really need to just accept the fact that the Steelers will not win the SB every year.
There would be no need for forums if we all accepted that. Everybody would be ok with whatever happens every year. Where's the fun in that? LOL
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #47
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Colts 2005 O-Line: UDFA, UDFA, 4th rd pick, 5th rd pick, 1st rd pick

20 sacks allowed on 473 passing plays

Steelers 2005 O-Line: 3rd pick, 2nd pick, 1st pick, 1st pick, 1st pick

35 sacks allowed on 302 passing plays

Even when Ben did have a decent offensive line he still took a ton of sacks.

Once again his team is blamed for his play style and shortcomings.

Roethlisberger is 30th among active quarterbacks in % of plays he gets sacked.

P Manning is 1st, Brees is 2nd, E Manning is 4th, Brady is 8th. Rodgers plays like Ben and is 27th.

Manning must be the hardest qb to sack because of the "elite" UDFA line he played with for most of his career.
GREAT post! Peyton makes his line look great, while Ben makes the Steelers line look bad (and play harder).
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #48
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
GREAT post! Peyton makes his line look great, while Ben makes the Steelers line look bad (and play harder).
Yeah, but I think the offense being run under Arians is partly to blame. The Steelers have run a lot of empty backfields and single back sets over the years so protection has been minimal.

Ben was up against a lot of 3rd and longs and 2nd downs with empty backfields where the other team knew they had to rush. That makes it easy for a defense when they don't have to worry about gap responsibility if it is a run or covering a rb on a screen etc. Just pin your ears back and go!

I think if Rainey emerges as a threat as a 3rd down RB it will really help the offense. Mendenhall is good there too if he stays. There will be a lot of passes to RBs next year.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #49
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
BINGO! Been saying this for awhile. This is the reason Haley was brought here. To teach Ben to take what the defence is giving you. Can't keep drafting OL with our top picks every year.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #50
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,727 Times in 2,232 Posts
My Mood: Fine

to our New England fella - I'd have to disagree with you on Ben's toughness.

Ben's toughness is what kept the offense alive enough to still make some difference to compete over his career - he won a SB with one of the worst O-lines ever. I don't think you want your man Brady anywhere behind the O-lines Pittsburgh fans have had to endure

Have you had to witness a bloody and bashed Brady limp, gush blood from his face, and still pull a victory out of his ass in the waning moments up against an elite Ravens D in M&T, with the division on the line?

Have you had to witness Brady being the only option to even compete @ San Francisco with one leg?

I consider your man Brady the best in the business. However, toughest QB to ever take the field in modern football? That goes to Ben, hands down IMO.

I will agree with you on Ben talking way too much though. I wish he would be more like Brady in that regard. I do think with Ben, as far as talking about his injuries - I think its a way for him to psyche himself up when he's in pain - just my two cents.

By the way - good luck in the playoffs. I hope you guys don't have to go to Denver for your team's sake.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote