Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #121
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Cardinals request to interview Todd Haley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
And some people can't read, or spell.

I mean, he says Ben stinks, but he also points to Ben's great stats. Which is it? And apparently since Ben isn't the problem this year, and Matt Cassel wasn't the problem for the Chiefs during his 27 TD season, that points to Haley - using his logic of course.
Cassel had a great 2010 regular season... then he threw for 70 yards, 0 tds and 3 ints in the playoffs. My point is that individual stats don't matter and that quarterbacks do well as individuals in Haley's system. Cassel is arguably as good as Mark Sanchez and he had a ProBowl type season under Haley.

Meanwhile, 2 head coaches have been fired after taking responsibility for Cassel's poor play.

And in Chicago a HC with an all-time record of 81-63 has been fired after taking responsibility for Jay Cutler's poor play. He follows former superbowl winning coordinator Mike Martz who has been scapegoated for Jay Cutler and Alex Smith.

Fer is right I am burning you badly.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #122
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Did Ben call the plays on 3rd down and Haley call them on 1st and 2nd? Am I missing something?
Did Haley avoid pressure and make the throws on 3rd and long, or did Ben?

Quote:
Haley WAS bossed around as to what offense he could run by the HEAD COACH who controls those sort of things. Haley did not earn the privilege to call plays until late in his first year in Arizona. Haley WAS bossed around by Tomlin. TOP being the be-all and end-all comes from Tomlin. Period.
Tomlin is generally hands off when it comes to his coordinators - unless he's ordered from up top otherwise.

Quote:
Haley did better this year than Arians did last year in scoring points and red zone %. That is what he was brought in to do. I could care less about Arians amazing 2007 season where Ben put up huge numbers in the regular season and got bounced out of the playoffs on the strength of 42 throws and a pick 6.
Well, last I checked, 10-6 division champs is better than 8-8 no playoffs, even if it was a disappointing loss to the Jagoffs.

So you don't care about past coordinators doing better, but you're okay with the current coordinator not improving the offense? That's actually not surprising from Pittsburgh. After all, fans seem to think more highly of the loser QBs the Steelers started than the two QBs that won them super bowls.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #123
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Did Haley avoid pressure and make the throws on 3rd and long, or did Ben?
In 2005 Ben had one of the best offensive lines in football and made them look terrible with 35 sacks on 303 drop backs. 3 1st rd picks 1 2nd rd pick and 1 3rd rd pick

Peyton Manning made his mediocre line look great giving up only 20 sacks on 473 dropbacks. 1 1st rd pick 2 UDFA 1 4th rd pick 1 5th rd pick

Quote:
Tomlin is generally hands off when it comes to his coordinators - unless he's ordered from up top otherwise.
When Tomlin came to Pittsburgh the cushions on receivers immediately grew. Tackle the catch is all Tomlin. The only reason the Steelers D has generated turnovers is because of Troy and Debo.

Quote:
Well, last I checked, 10-6 division champs is better than 8-8 no playoffs, even if it was a disappointing loss to the Jagoffs.
Wild Card losses are nothing to be excited about. Steelers have missed the playoffs once under Whis, once under Arians and once under Haley. If Haley comes back it will not happen again.

Quote:
So you don't care about past coordinators doing better, but you're okay with the current coordinator not improving the offense? That's actually not surprising from Pittsburgh. After all, fans seem to think more highly of the loser QBs the Steelers started than the two QBs that won them super bowls.
Which past coordinator is doing better? Arians put up a lot of yards in Indy but his team only scored 22 a game and his red zone % was less than the Steelers who started Batch/Lefty for 3 games. So Arians got a lot of yards but couldn't score- sounds familiar.

Whisenhunt just got fired- scapegoated for the play of his terrible quarterbacks- so he isn't doing any better.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #124
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I'll drive him to the interview!
Hell, I'll even pack a lunch for him!
Terminator (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #125
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Ilkin -Oline

Turner-OC

and we still have Lebau

Life would be good....
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #126
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Ilkin -Oline

Turner-OC

and we still have Lebau

Life would be good....
If we could get that staff, life would indeed be good.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #127
tburhans
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18473

Report on steelersdepot.com says qb coach randy fichtner would be the lead candidate if haley goes
tburhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #128
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I thought Kirby Wilson would be the lead candidate??? I read that on a Sulia posting. Someone mentioned that Wilson would have been the choice had he not been in that fire. I still don't understand peoples penchant for hating Haley already! Arians leaves and coaches a winning team, coached a rookie QB who had one of the most spectacular rookie seasons of all time and he was hated until he was gone. I get it, SOMETIMES. But man, it's only been a year and the guy hasn't even really implemented his offense yet. He hasn't really been part of our draft yet, so he hasn't had any input on players being selected. i just want to give him a minute before we cast him off. 3 OC's in 3 years=not good. I don't care who we would hire. The players would have to learn a whole new system, and we saw how much Ben LOVED that this year. I think we would be making a mistake to cast off Haley right now. Remember, before Ben got hurt, Ben was having an MVP type season. Why? Because our OC sucks. Wait, what??!! It makes no sense.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to austinfrench76 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #129
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Sorry. Just read the article and they do mention Kirby.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #130
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Fichtner was the choice of many even last year - even if Kirby didn't go through that fire. 50/50, it could be either one if Haley goes.
That said - Haley just has an interview - no guarantees yet he's gonna leave.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote