Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #141
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Cardinals request to interview Todd Haley

You say Art II is meddlesome like it's a bad thing.

The dude watches the team 24/7. I think he knows what product he's seeing.

And the product is a QB with a bit of a lazy streak and is not responsible enough to oversee an offense. Only eclipsed 30+ TD's once and keeps missing games due to reckless,irresponsible play. Throughout Ben's career, the Defense has continually outshined him and carried him through the postseason, and even the Super Bowl. The one Super Bowl the Defense had trouble in (XLV), the "Elite" QB couldn't be counted on to step up from his usual mediocrity, and the Steelers lost. Aside from ONE drive, Ben has been nothing short of AWFUL in the Super Bowl.

You say the Steelers play close to the vest? Well, what has Ben done to prove why they shouldn't? The Offense has been perpetually mediocre and inconsistent. One week the Steelers will kill a team 35-something, then next week they're locked in a 13-10 struggle against one of the league dregs. This especially happened under Arians. NO consistency whatsoever. Three Coordinators in eight years, the Steelers offensive production remains the same. There was only constant between them: Ben.

As for this 2005 run, some will say that's proof that Ben is elite, except not quite. While I agree that the run doesn't happen if the Steelers don't turn him loose, but back then the Steelers had a running game and were famed for running the ball under Cowher. The run game was RESPECTED. Teams were not ready or expecting Ben to throw the ball. Suppose if the Bengals, Colts, and Broncos WEREN'T expecting "run"? What would've happened then?
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edman For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-05-2013), plenewken (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #142
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Art II is the only thing keeping the Steelers in Rooney hands. Most of his siblings don't want anything to do with the team because they would rather make money off slot machines.

Art II presided over both of the last two super bowl teams.

Art II drafted the God you worship with every post and with breath you draw, Ben Roethlisberger.

Without Art II there is no Steeler way.

Without Art II the next Dan Snyder buys the team.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Edman (01-08-2013), lardlad (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #143
rgj
Starter

Member Number: 7995
My Mood: Cynical

I'm beginning to believe that the only OC Roethlisberger will be happy with is Ben Roethlisberger.

I think Haley did a respectable job this past season, until the wheels fell off due to OL and QB injuries. Then the RBs decided not to hold on to the ball and all hell broke loose, setting up the 2nd half disaster.

Ben needs to shut up and be the subordinate team player he is paid to be. Until then, the coaches need to coach and the players need to do the job or face unemployment.

Tomlin is at the cross roads. It is his team for now. I want to see what happens in camp in July.
rgj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgj For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #144
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
lol, if that were true - Ben would be an absolute fool - talk about taking a HUGE step back just to "have his way" Sounds like Joe Namath to the Rams to me LOLOLOLOLOLOL

My first gut is that isn't true.
He is that dumb, and childish.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #145
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine

10 out of the 12 playoff teams are in the top 14 in TOP. Their O ranking is in parenthesis, followed by their PPG. If you are wondering: 2. Pitt_32:11(22)_21

1. Houston_32:46(8)_26
4. Seattle_31:23(9)_25.8
6. Denver_31:16(2)_30.1
8. Washington_31:04(4)_27.3
9. San Fran_31:00(11)_24.8
10. Atlanta_30:52(7)_26.2
11. New England_30:40(1)_34.8
12. Indy_30:27(19)_22.3
13. Cincy_30:26(12)_24.4
14. Green Bay_30:26(5)_27.1
28. Minnesota_29:44(14)_23.7
30. Baltimore_29:34(10)_24.9

Where are the Colts at with overall offense ranking and point production out of these teams? I've heard enough of Arians over Haley. Yes - Arians has had to work with terrible O-lines as well - Haley, in 1 whole season, had to also deal with RBs and WRs fumbling and dropping. Arians is also responsible for not utilizing the running game enough and not even practicing it to give it a fair shake to take the pressure off of Ben. Ben needs the running game and/or TOP for the offense to succeed. I'll give you Haley haters and Ben apologists one or the other - you don't absolutely have to have both. You definitely need to be good at one or the other.

Playoff teams and where they rank with the rushing game. 6 out of 12 teams are in top 10 in rushing. The arguably best offense in the league (Pats) is #7 in rushing and #11 in TOP. I wouldn't call them "Marty Ball" Seems like rushing and TOP in whatever order you like, is pretty damn effective. Arguably the next best offense (Den) is still in the top half in rushing at #16 and ranks #6 at TOP. Again - I recognize there are teams with "elite" offenses that "don't need a running game" - these teams seem to be Green Bay at #20 in rushing and Atlanta at #29 in rushing. Green Bay is still at #14 in TOP. Atlanta is at #10.

The best offenses are either in the top half of TOP or top half of teams in rushing. THE best are in the top 10 of either of those categories.

Rushing rankings:
Washington(1)
Minnesota(2)
Seattle(3)
San Fran (4)
New England (7)
Houston (8)
Baltimore (11)
Denver (16)
Cincy (18)
Green Bay (20)
Indy (22)
Atlanta (29)

IMO - Ben needs a consistent running game and/or TOP. I realize the talent isn't there at the RB position, so what else did he need to rely on? TOP. AGAIN - I love what Ben brings to the table. Haley didn't ask that Mendy be injured and have to use a stable of what many consider fill-ins. All he could do was have the Steelers possess the ball, which, if you have the personnel to do it - leads to scoring as shown above.

Ben got injured and they couldn't get it going again in the OC's first season. I absolutely loved what I was seeing from Ben and company before the injury. The 10-6 v. 8-8 argument is a fine line - and the difference was Ben both in injury, and in the "70% Ben is better than 110% Charlie" situatin - Ben was our best chance to win - and in some critical situations he made some bad choices upon his return. that was the difference in the segment of the season. You can also point to records during Arians time here. 12-4 last year is great - but, you have to look at - where did you win those 12, how did you win them, and where did you lose those 4? It isn't as simple as spouting off an entire record as a true indicator.

The one constant is Ben - IMO he needs to get on board with both the running game, TOP or one or the other - what he wants is in fact not best.8-8 is a summation of an entire TEAM failure - not just Ben, not just Haley - but at different times during the season, or some personnel failed at different times.

Last edited by steelfury02; 01-05-2013 at 10:28 AM.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Edman (01-08-2013), lardlad (01-05-2013), NSMaster56 (01-05-2013), plenewken (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #146
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,671 Times in 10,410 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I remember in 2004, Bill Cowher was adamant about drafting Shawn Andrews. Dan Rooney walked into the draft room, and strongly suggested, "Why don't we take a closer look at this kid from Miami of Ohio."

Every took notice of his "meddling"... and drafted Ben Roethlisberger.

Suggesting that the team try to keep that same "100 million dollar QB" upright (via drafting TWO O-linemen, as well as, trying to improve his time of release) is a similar type of "meddling."
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Edman (01-08-2013), lardlad (01-05-2013), steelfury02 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #147
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Brady's teams have horrible defenses and yet they can win 40-27. That is still pretty close to a big victory.

Our Defense gives up 27 and we lose 27-24.
Steelers D hold an opposing team to 13 points, but supposed they give up a late score after leading 10-6 and end up losing the game 13-10. Ben fanboys will be quick to point fingers at the DEFENSE for losing the late lead, when the blame should be thrust upon the certain "Elite" Quarterback.

Speaking of the Defense, it's the other prime scapegoat for Ben's continual mediocrity, when blaming the OC or someone else doesn't work. The D didn't stop them enough! The D didn't generate turnovers! The D is the problem! The D didn't score!

Ah, so it's the Defense's fault Ben can't function without a short field? Ben has to have to go 60 yards or less to be effective? But I thought he was elite? I don't know what game you were watching, but the Defense's job is stopping the other team, which they have done a good job of after struggling this year. The OFFENSE's job is to SCORE.

The Cincinnati game was the microcosm of Ben's career. The Defense shines holding the Bengals offense to six points, but the Steelers lose anyway, because a certain "elite" quarterback hands them 7 and can't be bothered to do better then 10 points. Bam. Steelers are out of the playoffs. Unsurprisingly, here comes the Ben worshippers out of the woodwork to bash Haley for Ben playing like shit with the season on the line. No, this is not a Haley occurence. This is what Ben has been nearly doing his whole career and for a while now. He just came up on the short end this time.

It's all about the Defense in Pittsburgh. If the Steelers Defense sucks like the Patriots D has for the past couple years, no three Super Bowls appearances for Ben to suck in. If the Steelers D annually finished in the bottom half of the league since 2004, this team is still looking for #5.

Last edited by Edman; 01-05-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #148
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Steelers D hold an opposing team to 13 points, but supposed they give up a late score after leading 10-6 and end up losing the game 13-10. Ben fanboys will be quick to point fingers at the DEFENSE for losing the late lead, when the blame should be thrust upon the certain "Elite" Quarterback.

Speaking of the Defense, it's the other prime scapegoat for Ben's continual mediocrity, when blaming the OC or someone else doesn't work. The D didn't stop them enough! The D didn't generate turnovers! The D is the problem! The D didn't score!

Ah, so it's the Defense's fault Ben can't function without a short field? Ben has to have to go 60 yards or less to be effective? But I thought he was elite? I don't know what game you were watching, but the Defense's job is stopping the other team, which they have done a good job of after struggling this year. The OFFENSE's job is to SCORE. If the Defense hadn't gotten it together this year, this team finishes EVEN WORSE than 8-8.

The Cincinnati game was the microcosm of Ben's career. The Defense holds the Bengals offense to six points, but the Steelers lose anyway, because of a certain "elite" quarterback.
Your last paragraph is spot on. Ben could have and is capable of doing more.

I'd rather go to Canton and read: "His first two SB victories were earned with guts and grit, the last two were earned with deadly efficiency." Ben Roethlisberger, the only QB in NFL history to define his career at the QB position in two totally different ways. 4 Super Bowl Victories, 5 appearances. There was no other QB that could burn defenses with his smarts, and pull out miracles when the play broke down, and everything was on the line . . .

COME ON BEN.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #149
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,896 Times in 6,116 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Todd Haley hasnít said yes to Cardinals interview

Posted by Josh Alper on January 4, 2013

On Thursday, there was a report that the Cardinals requested permission to interview Todd Haley for their head coaching position.

The Steelers canít block Haley from taking the interview, but Haley can turn down the opportunity himself. According to Ed Werder of ESPN, Haley might wind up doing just that.

Per Werder, Haley has yet to agree to the interview because ďhe loves working forĒ the Steelers. It was a rocky first year for Haley in the role as he and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger never quite seemed to see eye to eye on the best way to run the offense.

Haley had a positive experience coordinating an offense run by Kurt Warner in Arizona before a somewhat less positive experience as the head coach of a Kansas City team quarterbacked by Matt Cassel. Given that, you can understand reticence about leaping into a muddled, to put it mildly, quarterback situation in Arizona even if things werenít all that smooth in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...als-interview/
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #150
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Your last paragraph is spot on. Ben could have and is capable of doing more.

I'd rather go to Canton and read: "His first two SB victories were earned with guts and grit, the last two were earned with deadly efficiency." Ben Roethlisberger, the only QB in NFL history to define his career at the QB position in two totally different ways. 4 Super Bowl Victories, 5 appearances. There was no other QB that could burn defenses with his smarts, and pull out miracles when the play broke down, and everything was on the line . . .

COME ON BEN.
It should also read in Canton "Once the Steelers realized playing close to the vest didn't work, Ben won more games early."

Quote:
I remember in 2004, Bill Cowher was adamant about drafting Shawn Andrews. Dan Rooney walked into the draft room, and strongly suggested, "Why don't we take a closer look at this kid from Miami of Ohio."

Every took notice of his "meddling"... and drafted Ben Roethlisberger.
Did Dan tell Cowher and Whiz how to run the offense? There's a difference between an owner getting involved when his team has stagnated for 25 years and when an owner think he should determine run/pass ratio.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote