Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default PPG: Steelers Report: A Look Back At Disappointing Season

Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac discuss reasons why the Steelers had such a disappointing season:

http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=2065786405001

Yinz might not like what's said in the second half of the video...
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: PPG: Steelers Report: A Look Back At Disappointing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac discuss reasons why the Steelers had such a disappointing season:

http://www.post-gazette.com/video/?v=2065786405001

Yinz might not like what's said in the second half of the video...
They said exactly what I have been trying to tell you in several other threads-- things were going GREAT, until midseason.

Big Ben was on pace to break most of his prior records, we were rolling at 6-3, the offense was keeping the defense rested, and the defense was starting to wake up.

I also notice how almost nobody in the Pittsburgh press is willing to touch on the fact that Ben is a new father, and how that has affected his game at all.

New parents routinely sleep around 3 hours per night...

They also went on to say that Todd Haley will be back next year, and that we just have to wait and see what direction we go in next season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

No idea why anyone would want to look back on this season. I want to forget it existed.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

The real question here, is NOT how did we end up at 8-8.

The question is how did a 6-3 team finish out going 1-5?

Well, what changed around that time?

* Ben started playing more sandlot football, and got squashed by Tamba Hali after holding the ball for 8 seconds on one dropback.

* Haley started listening to Mike Wallace and the fans who wanted more deep plays to Wallace. We started trying to force balls to Wallace, resulting in Ben holding the ball longer, Olinemen getting hurt trying to hold blocks for 9 seconds or more, and more interceptions.

* Ben became a new daddy and his focus shifted from football to his son (understandable, but to be expected).
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
The real question here, is NOT how did we end up at 8-8.

The question is how did a 6-3 team finish out going 1-5?

Well, what changed around that time?

* Ben started playing more sandlot football, and got squashed by Tamba Hali after holding the ball for 8 seconds on one dropback.

* Haley started listening to Mike Wallace and the fans who wanted more deep plays to Wallace. We started trying to force balls to Wallace, resulting in Ben holding the ball longer, Olinemen getting hurt trying to hold blocks for 9 seconds or more, and more interceptions.

* Ben became a new daddy and his focus shifted from football to his son (understandable, but to be expected).
I don't buy the '' he's a new dad'' excuse. Most players have kids and he can afford a live in nanny. That's just a dumb excuse in my mind. I gurentee he got a good night sleep before every game
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I don't buy the '' he's a new dad'' excuse. Most players have kids and he can afford a live in nanny. That's just a dumb excuse in my mind. I gurentee he got a good night sleep before every game
You've obviously never been a parent.

You can have a nannie, or wetnurse or whatever, but when that baby so much as "cooos" and makes a sound-- you wake up. That is father's instinct-- been ingrained into our nature far longer than throwing footballs has been.

Whether you have a nannie or not-- being a new father CHANGES EVERYTHING. Mentaly, emotionally, and even hormonally.

Besuides the sleep-- do you honestly think Ben's pmental priority the last month or two has been to make sure he logs extra time in the filmroom everyday, and studying his new Haley-infused playbook? Or could it have changed to "I want to go home to be with my son"?

Pro football is such a competitive sport, that even a slight mental lapse on the part of a crucial position like QB can result in one or two bad throws per game-- and that is the difference between being 8-8 and 10-6.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Either way, I do not offer it so much as an excuse, so much as an obvious explanation for those who have been wondering why ben did not win us games in the 4th quarter like he usually does and whatnot.

I predicted this way back in August, if I can dig up the threads, that Ben's play would have a huge dropoff once Little Ben arrived.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Almost without a doubt, Ben's injury was probably the biggest factor contributing to his end-of-season implosion. I would think it is kinda hard to establish an effective throwing motion when you have some broken rbs floating around in there near your aorta.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
You've obviously never been a parent.

You can have a nannie, or wetnurse or whatever, but when that baby so much as "cooos" and makes a sound-- you wake up. That is father's instinct-- been ingrained into our nature far longer than throwing footballs has been.

Whether you have a nannie or not-- being a new father CHANGES EVERYTHING. Mentaly, emotionally, and even hormonally.

Besuides the sleep-- do you honestly think Ben's pmental priority the last month or two has been to make sure he logs extra time in the filmroom everyday, and studying his new Haley-infused playbook? Or could it have changed to "I want to go home to be with my son"?

Pro football is such a competitive sport, that even a slight mental lapse on the part of a crucial position like QB can result in one or two bad throws per game-- and that is the difference between being 8-8 and 10-6.

Sorry but I have a one and a 5 year old. I spend every second awY from work with them and my job never suffered foe one second because of them. I'm sure there are a few parents that can't handle parenting and work but I'm not one of them and I wouldn't expect a professional athlete who really only needs to give it his all one day a week to be one either
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Maybe not all of us are hanging our hats on a three game stretch for one season?

All the Haley apologists looks back to the games against the Bengals, Redskins, and Giants and say "Look! It worked!"

Really? It had nothing to do with the fact that the Bengals and Redskins were playing their worst football of the season (11 drops by WAS receivers in that game). Or the fact that the Giants generally start their mid-to-late season slump in November? Same could be said about the games against the Jets, Eagles, and the Ravens the second time - all teams that were slumping or beginning a skid.

Perhaps some of us aren't just ready to hang our hats on the Haley offense when you already have a QB that is 10-5 in the postseason, 3 SB appearances, 2 SB wins.

"But Haley will make him better!"

All those 3rd and longs early in the season suggest it was Ben making Haley look better actually.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote