Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #21
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: carson palmer- fish or cut bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankus_Maximus
Cantmakeavalidpoint was right, Ben's and Carson's injuries aren't even comparable. Ben's was LIFE THREATENING, and Carson's was a sports injury. Your QB is timid, and scared to take a hit after sustaining an injury while PLAYING a game, while our QB did a face-plant off a motorcycle. One guy gets his knee twisted, while the other looks the grim-reaper in the face. Hmmmmm...which one of these two situations is the more severe? Bens. And which person in question is the first one to knuckle up and get back in the game? Ben.
Ben's accident was life threatening at the moment it happened, but was in no way a long term injury. Ben is the first one to "knuckle up and get back in the game" because he didn't tear any ligaments in his knee, he just messed up his face and slit an artery...things that can be fixed and not limit him physically for very long. I'm not saying his injury wasn't serious, but it wasn't something that requires months of rehab in order to just walk.

Sure Ben's tough, but if you think he could return from tearing 2 ligaments in his knee in the same amount of time it took him to return from his motorcycle wreck, you're crazy.

Maybe Carson is soft, but at least he's smart enough to not rush himself back into action even when the fans, media, and coaches are urging him to do the complete opposite.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:58 PM   #22
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
They're backpeddling so much, it's no wonder Collinsworth is an attorney. Carson oughtta keep his words nice and soft, as he just may have to eat them.

I can respect one man's decision on how to handle his personal health..but that respect goes out the window when you talk as much smack as Carson did.

You reap what you sew.
Exactly...when you talk smack your expected to back it up.For Carson,backing it up meant playing on September 10th...and it's looking more and more like he won't be.

I gaurantee you,if he does play a preseason game,it will be against the other team's backups with his starting o-line in front of him.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:39 AM   #23
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

The quote "just slit an artery" is an oxymoron in and of itself. Just when I think you cant post anything more idiotic, you go and prove me wrong. And he did more than mess up his face, he broke his jaw. Your ignorance is only outdone by your arrogance.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #24
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
The quote "just slit an artery" is an oxymoron in and of itself. Just when I think you cant post anything more idiotic, you go and prove me wrong.
Yes, slitting an atery is life threatening...I know, but once it is treated it doesn't take 10 months to heal.

Quote:
And he did more than mess up his face, he broke his jaw.

And Carson did more than mess up his leg, he messed up his knee too.

Where exactly do you consider the jaw to be located?
Ah, you crack me up, tankus...such the joker.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,124 Times in 4,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85
Yes, slitting an atery is life threatening...I know, but once it is treated it doesn't take 10 months to heal.

And Carson did more than mess up his leg, he messed up his knee too.

Where exactly do you consider the jaw to be located?
Ah, you crack me up, tankus...such the joker.
i think ive already expressed that ben experienced an injury that was a threat to his life and carson experienced an injury that was merely a threat to his career. funny thing is ben is not worried about taking another hit to the head (which will happen), but carson is fearful of taking a hit to the knee (which will also happen)...

you say bens injury doesnt take 10 months to heal. does carsons? i thought he was already healed. some mental injuries can take much longer than that to heal.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #26
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i think ive already expressed that ben experienced an injury that was a threat to his life and carson experienced an injury that was merely a threat to his career. funny thing is ben is not worried about taking another hit to the head (which will happen), but carson is fearful of taking a hit to the knee (which will also happen)...

you say bens injury doesnt take 10 months to heal. does carsons? i thought he was already healed. some mental injuries can take much longer than that to heal.
Great points, Tony. Has it already been posted what an average heal time would be for the kind of injury that Carson sustained?

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #27
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
Great points, Tony. Has it already been posted what an average heal time would be for the kind of injury that Carson sustained?
It would be tough to say what an average time would be since injuries and people are so different. He blew his ACL and MCL right? My guess is that most orthopaedic surgeons would tell the average guy on the street that he might be fully recovered in a year if things went well. But that is for the average guy who doesn't have the resources and time to devote to rehab that an NFL QB does. Nonetheless, connective tissue is connective tissue and it takes its own sweet time to heal.

I considered his predictions to be aggressive at the time. I think he probably thought that if he worked his ass off (like I am sure he has) that he could make it heal faster. That is important for recovering the strength he lost while immobile and for maximizing his muscular systems ability to compensate for decrease joint capsule stability. But hard work unfortunately doesn't account for the whole equasion with an injury like that. Ligaments need plain old time to heal up.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,124 Times in 4,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
its usually a year. even then weve seen players like jamal anderson or terell davis not be the same yet weve seen players like rod woodson come back in less time and be fine. i think cantstop might have been basing his numbers off of d. culpeppers time to heal since he actually seems ready to go and he is much more of a runner than carson.

it seems really selfish, hopeful, and careless for bengals and their fans to push carson to return earlier than the 6th week of the season.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #29
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

I hope he's smarter than all that and does what he needs to for himself. Like I've said before, how can a couple of games really be worth his entire career and possibly a lifetime of physical difficulties?

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #30
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
its usually a year. even then weve seen players like jamal anderson or terell davis not be the same yet weve seen players like rod woodson come back in less time and be fine. i think cantstop might have been basing his numbers off of d. culpeppers time to heal since he actually seems ready to go and he is much more of a runner than carson.

it seems really selfish, hopeful, and careless for bengals and their fans to push carson to return earlier than the 6th week of the season.
Well Tony and I agree about a 12 month recovery time so we must be right. I think we should start charging for sports medicine consults.*

*(Hawk Believer and Tony Hipchest are not "licensed" "medical" "doctors". Consult your doctor before believing any of their advice. Listening to them may lead to upset stomach, head aches, dry mouth, anal fissures, male breast development, and pink eye.)

Last edited by Hawk Believer; 08-17-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Hawk Believer is offline   Reply With Quote