Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,390 Times in 1,055 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Plax: I know I can dominate the red zone

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT

AP
Wide receiver Plaxico Burress isn’t sure exactly what kind of role the Steelers have in mind for him during the 2013 season, but he’s confident that he hasn’t lost one skill that made Burress a standout during his first stint with Pittsburgh and in his run with the Giants.

Burress believes that he can still be a difference maker near the end zone, something he didn’t get much of a chance to show during a brief cameo with the Steelers last season. He caught three passes in four games, including a touchdown in the season finale against the Chiefs. Burress said he saw teams defending him with the same kind of respect in the red zone, however, and thinks he can still make a big impact when the Steelers are looking for a touchdown.

“I know I can still play, I know I can dominate in the red zone,” Burress said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Just go out and play at a high percentage. In those one-on-one opportunities, just succeed at a high rate. I know I can. Being out there last year, I drew double coverage in the red zone without hardly playing, I think teams will have to respect that.”

Burress’ one-year stint with the Jets in 2011 didn’t bring tremendous overall success, but it lends some strength to his claims of red zone superiority. He caught eight touchdowns, tying for the team lead and showing he could still overpower smaller defensive backs on balls thrown into the end zone.

Burress called himself “blessed” to get another shot with the Steelers. The Steelers will likely feel the same way if Burress turns his feelings about dominance into reality.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-red-zone/
Old 06-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts
Default Re: Plax: I know I can dominate the red zone

It sure would be nice for Ben to have another red zone target other than Heath, Plax I believe could be that target. I am really happy the FO signed him quick, here's hoping he can produce, I remember that big body WR putting it to the Eagles in 2004 and the to the Pats the next week. I say use the big frame to Ben's advantage!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,202 Posts

Burress may have been a red zone target at one time. Now, I'm not so sure. In order to be effective, you need to get off the line cleanly, and have quick crisp movements. Anybody see that out Plax last year?

I keep hearing about his size. Yeah, he's 6'-5" but the deal is, he doesn't jump. Little Shamarko with his vertical could easily negate any sort of height advantage Burress may have. He also doesn't catch the fade particularly well.

IMO, if we resurrected the Skinny Post, this is the one where we go 4 wide with two in the slot, assuming that either Bell or some other runner is a legitimate rezone threat like Bettis was, it is unstoppable. We ran this play a kazillion times back in 2005 and nobody could defend it all year. When Arians came this was the first play he jettisoned.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Burress may have been a red zone target at one time. Now, I'm not so sure. In order to be effective, you need to get off the line cleanly, and have quick crisp movements. Anybody see that out Plax last year?

I keep hearing about his size. Yeah, he's 6'-5" but the deal is, he doesn't jump. Little Shamarko with his vertical could easily negate any sort of height advantage Burress may have. He also doesn't catch the fade particularly well.

IMO, if we resurrected the Skinny Post, this is the one where we go 4 wide with two in the slot, assuming that either Bell or some other runner is a legitimate rezone threat like Bettis was, it is unstoppable. We ran this play a kazillion times back in 2005 and nobody could defend it all year. When Arians came this was the first play he jettisoned.
Not too much seen of Plax last year to make the determination how he gets off the line of scrimmage, I believe that with an off-season of OTA's and a full training camp, Plax will produce, not to mention a full off-season of working with Big Ben.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
VaDave
Team Owner

I saw enough from the tapes I watched. Honestly, he looked exactly like a 35 year old that had been out of the league for a few years. Nothing more. Keep in mind, he had a whole year to get himself in to game shape before he signed on with us. Keeping that in mind, I find it doubtful that in the last 6 months, he's turned into the next Jerry RIce.

Hopefully I'm wrong, dead wrong. I don't think I am, but we'll see. I honestly think he's going to have a tough time making the squad if a couple of these new kids pan out.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

"Tell Mr Dink&Dunk Haley if he lets me score bombs from 40yds out we don't need no stinking jump balls in the EZ" - - Ben
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
I saw enough from the tapes I watched. Honestly, he looked exactly like a 35 year old that had been out of the league for a few years. Nothing more. Keep in mind, he had a whole year to get himself in to game shape before he signed on with us. Keeping that in mind, I find it doubtful that in the last 6 months, he's turned into the next Jerry RIce.

Hopefully I'm wrong, dead wrong. I don't think I am, but we'll see. I honestly think he's going to have a tough time making the squad if a couple of these new kids pan out.
Plax was active for 5 games last season, he dressed for three of those, he drew a pass interference call in the Browns game that led to a Chris Rainey TD, he also had a key first down in the second game he dressed for and in the season finale he caught a TD pass in the redzone. I say give him a chance with a full off-season, true he didn't look good on tape last season but I am excited to see what he does with a full session of OTA's and a full training camp. I say Plax contributes in more ways than we think.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,915 Times in 3,839 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I'd like to see him do well too, but he better show us all something in training camp and pre season. He shouldn't be handed anything. If Justin Brown can show he is capable at WR, with his size and special teams ability, Plax is expendable. Besides, how much can he really have left after this year anyway. Imagine cutting a guy like Brown, and he turns out to be an excellent return man, special team coverage guy, and good receiver in the NFL for the next 8-10 years. It would be a horrible decision to keep Plax unless he looks like a dominant red zone threat. He has no other value to the team other than his receiving ability. He doesn't play special teams. If Brown looks like he could play, he would be cheap, he could block, he provides a 6' 3" target for Ben, he returns kicks, he could play on kick coverage units, and he's just a kid that will only get better.

Look, this is not a guarantee that Brown will be a great player. The one thing I can guarantee, however, is that Plax will not be a great player for this team in the future.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
VaDave (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I'd like to see him do well too, but he better show us all something in training camp and pre season. He shouldn't be handed anything. If Justin Brown can show he is capable at WR, with his size and special teams ability, Plax is expendable. Besides, how much can he really have left after this year anyway. Imagine cutting a guy like Brown, and he turns out to be an excellent return man, special team coverage guy, and good receiver in the NFL for the next 8-10 years. It would be a horrible decision to keep Plax unless he looks like a dominant red zone threat. He has no other value to the team other than his receiving ability. He doesn't play special teams. If Brown looks like he could play, he would be cheap, he could block, he provides a 6' 3" target for Ben, he returns kicks, he could play on kick coverage units, and he's just a kid that will only get better.

Look, this is not a guarantee that Brown will be a great player. The one thing I can guarantee, however, is that Plax will not be a great player for this team in the future.
I am not partial to Brown, if you view his highlights reel on Youtube you will see is nothing spectacular. Brown would be a good Practice Squad player possibly to develop into a better receiver. Now I will give Brown one thing, he has chemistry with Landry Jones, but other than that he is nothing better than mediocre. The clock is ticking for Ben, the chance of winning another SB only gets greater with veteran WR's around him. Plaxico was one of his "go-to-guys", when he was a rookie lets see how that a full year plays out. As far as putting Brown ahead of Plaxico or even considering Brown as a replacement let's not get too hasty.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
VaDave
Team Owner

Like I said Goldie, I hope I'm wrong..... and willing to shovel as much crow down the gullet you can toss my way if I am.