Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #91
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,479 Times in 9,919 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: The DL dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
T,

We don't disagree much, but Ta'amu? Other than the tape of his highlights from college, and a few plays in training camp that I've seen, I don't see it yet. What I see is a very large person that plays small and isn't particularly quick, and or decisive.

Granted, some of that is expected of a rookie, but for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, he should at least be in the discussion for some snaps. Certainly at this point, with the media straining to come up with ANYTHING at all to write about, you would expect something in print about the guy. JMO my friend. Maybe you've seen something I've over looked. That is always a possibility...
I followed him in college, because he played in the PAC-10 (so his games were routinely on), and because I was looking at any NT (to replace Casey the Hutt).

He was amazing as a junior, but then, as a senior, he had a shoulder injury... which made him slip down to R4.

After the 2010 season, I had slotted him in as a possible R1 pick for the Steelers in 2012 (if DD were to be drafted before the Steelers could pick). Then, as he started to have a bad 2011 season, I started thinking: DD in R1, and Ta'amu in R2 (followed by Spence in R3). I actually ended up getting all three players, plus Mike Adams (I loved that draft).

Anyway, Ta'amu is an extremly good player. I feel that his biggest obstacle is getting over that court case from last year. It seemed to affect him mentally... and he never even showed any promise. If it is behind him, then he will be good to go, becasue physically, he is the ideal NT.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #92
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,702 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I followed him in college, because he played in the PAC-10 (so his games were routinely on), and because I was looking at any NT (to replace Casey the Hutt).

He was amazing as a junior, but then, as a senior, he had a shoulder injury... which made him slip down to R4.

After the 2010 season, I had slotted him in as a possible R1 pick for the Steelers in 2012 (if DD were to be drafted before the Steelers could pick). Then, as he started to have a bad 2011 season, I started thinking: DD in R1, and Ta'amu in R2 (followed by Spence in R3). I actually ended up getting all three players, plus Mike Adams (I loved that draft).

Anyway, Ta'amu is an extremly good player. I feel that his biggest obstacle is getting over that court case from last year. It seemed to affect him mentally... and he never even showed any promise. If it is behind him, then he will be good to go, becasue physically, he is the ideal NT.

I hope you are right , T . cause Kaboly I think said today that al woods has overtaken him on the depth chart at nt ..... and Al Woods has never played nt before this years otas.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #93
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,479 Times in 9,919 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
I hope you are right , T . cause Kaboly I think said today that al woods has overtaken him on the depth chart at nt ..... and Al Woods has never played nt before this years otas.
Yep. I read that, as well.

I think that they want Al Woods to play LDE, NT, & RDE... that way, like Beachum, come game-day, they can carry one less D-lineman (and suit an extra DB).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #94
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,655 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Defensive Line Depth Huge Question Mark For Steelers

Jun 8th, 2013 by Dominic Di Tolla

I was not surprised when I read the news that Pittsburgh’s coaching staff worked out Al Woods at all three defensive line positions during the team’s OTA sessions. Teams can never have too much depth in the trenches, and the Steelers could very well need a “jack-of-all-trades” backup in place to assist if injuries or poor-play strike the team’s four-man rotation of Brett Keisel, Cameron Heyward, Ziggy Hood and Steve McLendon this fall. I just hope that the soon-to-be fourth-year player (23 career games, 0.5 sack) can prove himself worthy of extended backup duty soon, especially because the rest of Pittsburgh’s reserves along their defensive line are so raw and inexperienced.

Defensive End

In the seventh round of this April’s draft, Pittsburgh selected the raw and untested Nick Williams out of Samford. Williams, who was focused more on basketball in high school (he only played one year of football), has the size (6’4″ 309 lbs., 34.125″ arms, 10.25″ hands) and athletic tools to be a terrific five-technique some day. Yet as high as the potential ceiling could be for the former Samford star, he is still only playing his fifth year of football. Moreover, he will also have to transition to the defensive end position in Pittsburgh’s 3-4 scheme after he played defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme at the collegiate level.

After the draft ended, Colbert & Co. also added some competition for Williams in the forms of UDFAs Brian Arnfelt of Northwestern and Cordian Hagans of Louisiana-Lafayette. After three seasons of spot-duty, Arnfelt (6’5″ 302 lbs.) finally came on strong during his senior year when he played full-time (25 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks). Like the other backups, the former defensive tackle has some underrated athletic ability (40-time: 4.83 seconds and 225 lbs. bench press: 38 reps), but still will require more development before he sees the field.

Hagans (6’4″ 299 lbs.) actually started his collegiate career on the offensive side of the ball at L.S.U.. In fact, he only began to play defense full time after he transferred to Louisiana-Lafayette three years ago. Much like Arnfelt, Hagans also had a breakout season of sorts as a senior (41 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 5.0 sacks) when he was finally able to start full-time. And much like Williams, Hagans will have to get used to a new position in Pittsburgh’s defensive scheme.

While I am definitely intrigued to see how Williams, Arnfelt and Hagans develop over the next year, all three of them will likely be fighting for practice squad spots during the preseason due to their inexperience and still-developing skill-sets. Thankfully, the quintet Hood, Heyward, Keisel and Woods will be in front of them on the depth chart and the likelihood of them seeing the field is much less than the backups at nose tackle.

Nose Tackle

I for one am very intrigued to see how McLendon performs during his first year as a starter. After three full seasons of learning under Casey Hampton, Hoke and his position coach Mitchell, the time will be “now” for McLendon to prove himself and become the anchor along Pittsburgh’s defensive line.

The Steelers are banking on McLendon stay injury-free this year though, because the players behind him on the depth chart possess almost zero professional experience whatsoever. Second-year tackles Alameda Ta’amu and Hebron Fangupo played zero significant snaps last fall, and neither player recorded a single statistic during their rookie campaigns. With their futures still uncertain, the door could be open for Woods or 2013 UDFA Omar Hunter to slide in and bump them down on the depth chart very soon.

Hunter is an interesting prospect, especially because he gained a large amount of experience (31 career starts) as a gap-clogger in the S.E.C. for the Florida Gators. The squat-framed Hunter (6′ 313 lbs.) could earn himself a practice squad spot if he plays effective during the preseason and can anchor himself well against larger and more athletic pro linemen.

Hope for Hunter aside, the lack of experienced depth behind McLendon is a major cause for concern. It is absolutely imperative that McLendon stays on the field as often as possible, because I have little faith that Ta’amu, Fangupo, Hunter (and possibly even Woods) will be able to play effectively this fall and record a significant amount of snaps as early as this fall.

Final Thoughts

Look, I understand that the Steelers have what appears to be a serviceable “four-man rotation” in place heading into this fall. But when the 2013 campaign ends and the spring of 2014 rolls around, the aforementioned “four-man rotation” could be cut in half.

Keisel and Hood are both entering the final years of their respective contracts this year. If the Steelers need to save cap-space, both might even be allowed to walk next spring. Complicating matters is the fact that Heyward will reach UFA-status in the spring of 2015 as well. Thus, if the former Buckeye’s development stagnates or he simply does not live up to his 1st Round pick status like Hood has failed to do as well, he might not be re-signed in the spring of 2015 when his rookie deal expires.

I know that the 2014 season is still a distant thought to most people. Moreover, I have faith that defensive line coach Mitchell can develop at least one of the young and unheralded defensive ends into an effective player down the road. I simply hope that Pittsburgh’s defensive line can stay injury-free this fall, because the lack of experienced depth in the defensive trenches is a problem which must be addressed.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/06/08...-for-steelers/
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #95
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,498 Times in 3,700 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I understand that the lack of experience is a concern on the DL. I also think that it's about time we find out if these younger guys can play. I have a feeling we are going to be pleasantly surprised at how well some of these guys can play. This team has gotten markedly younger and more athletic at several positions, with DL being one of them. It may be a difficult transition over the first part of the year, but I believe this team will begin to get their legs under them and become a very formidable force by the halfway point of this year. They just need to get on the field and play. There are many players on this roster that we have never seen play yet that will be the driving force of the Steelers for the next decade.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #96
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,061 Posts

P

I agree we are going to pleasantly pleased how some of these kids work out. The defensive system we run works, and works well. It's worked for decades and with a wide variety of personnel. Will we have a few bumps along the way?? Sure. What D doesn't.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #97
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I understand that the lack of experience is a concern on the DL. I also think that it's about time we find out if these younger guys can play. I have a feeling we are going to be pleasantly surprised at how well some of these guys can play. This team has gotten markedly younger and more athletic at several positions, with DL being one of them. It may be a difficult transition over the first part of the year, but I believe this team will begin to get their legs under them and become a very formidable force by the halfway point of this year. They just need to get on the field and play. There are many players on this roster that we have never seen play yet that will be the driving force of the Steelers for the next decade.
I think this is what the Steeler faithful have been asking all along, it is time for the young guys to contribute, not just in pre-season but during the regular season as well. Good Post!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #98
Steelcity95
Water Boy

Member Number: 24965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
[B]
Final Thoughts

Look, I understand that the Steelers have what appears to be a serviceable “four-man rotation” in place heading into this fall. But when the 2013 campaign ends and the spring of 2014 rolls around, the aforementioned “four-man rotation” could be cut in half.

Keisel and Hood are both entering the final years of their respective contracts this year. If the Steelers need to save cap-space, both might even be allowed to walk next spring. Complicating matters is the fact that Heyward will reach UFA-status in the spring of 2015 as well. Thus, if the former Buckeye’s development stagnates or he simply does not live up to his 1st Round pick status like Hood has failed to do as well, he might not be re-signed in the spring of 2015 when his rookie deal expires.

I know that the 2014 season is still a distant thought to most people. Moreover, I have faith that defensive line coach Mitchell can develop at least one of the young and unheralded defensive ends into an effective player down the road. I simply hope that Pittsburgh’s defensive line can stay injury-free this fall, because the lack of experienced depth in the defensive trenches is a problem which must be addressed.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/06/08...-for-steelers/
2014 may be a ways of you're right, but it is worth looking at for sure. I think Keisel is gone, and Hood will have to show something for sure, or if he does get resigned it will be at a decent price, to me he should have to make a huge impact to stick with the team. I know that young guys to not get a lot of playing time if any at all under LeBeau, but maybe its time he lets a couple guys get some snaps in, they really need to see what they are working with, especially with a potential loss of Keisel and maybe Hood. Its going to be a big year for everybody on the defensive line fore sure.
Steelcity95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #99
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
I think this is what the Steeler faithful have been asking all along, it is time for the young guys to contribute, not just in pre-season but during the regular season as well. Good Post!
To me it's all about experience and learning from the veterans. Nothing will prepare younger guys like real, in-game experience. They need to get their feet wet in order to gain a sense of what goes out on the field. Practicing with veterans really helps too. Teams with great d-lines like the NY Giants are great for rookies and younger players to practice and watch guys like Pierre-Paul, Tuck, Kiwanuka et al. For the Steelers, Keisel and Hampton are two good rushers Heyward and Hood can learn from. I hope to see growth of the younger guys in camp and pre-season.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #100
Steelcity95
Water Boy

Member Number: 24965

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
To me it's all about experience and learning from the veterans. Nothing will prepare younger guys like real, in-game experience. They need to get their feet wet in order to gain a sense of what goes out on the field. Practicing with veterans really helps too. Teams with great d-lines like the NY Giants are great for rookies and younger players to practice and watch guys like Pierre-Paul, Tuck, Kiwanuka et al. For the Steelers, Keisel and Hampton are two good rushers Heyward and Hood can learn from. I hope to see growth of the younger guys in camp and pre-season.
The Steelers sure have had the vets around to teach the young guys a thing or two. This year its time for Hood, Heyward and McLendon to really step it up and show the team and fans what they can bring to the table. Hood has shown he can bring pressure to the QB, would like to see him do that more, itd be nice to see him free up more room for Woodley though. They all got to watch one of the most underrated 3-4 ends in Aaron Smith do work, they really should have learned from him.
Steelcity95 is offline   Reply With Quote