Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #61
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: The DL dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
If the Steelers decided to with a 4-3 it would probably look like this...

DE - Heyward
DT - Mclendon
DT - Hood
DE - Woodley
How much does Heyward weigh? Maybe if he slims down a tad. I think Worilds would be a more prototypical 4-3 DE.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #62
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
LE - Heyward
DT- Hampton/Ta'amu/Hood
DT- McClendon
RE- Keisel

There, shut up. Many teams would die for our D-Line.
Keisel as a pass rushing DE?

The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-10-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #63
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
How much does Heyward weigh? Maybe if he slims down a tad. I think Worilds would be a more prototypical 4-3 DE.
Heyward weighs about the same as Reggie White.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #64
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
LE - Heyward
DT- Hampton/Ta'amu/Hood
DT- McClendon
RE- Keisel

There, shut up. Many teams would die for our D-Line.
First off, we're a 3-4 team not a 4-3. If we were a 4-3 team and those were our starters then no, nobody would really want our D line. You have demonstrated a blind following of Keisel in many of your posts, but he is not a pass rusher and went downhill quite a bit this year. Hampton improved as the season went on, but nobody else would take a 35 year old NT who comes into camp over weight and has just had his ACL repaired. Ta'Amu is gone. McClendon played well when he got in, but nobody would be ready to spend much on him to take him away from us. Same as Hood.

As a 3-4 D line, we'll likely be ok if we get one more player. Hood and MccClendon seem to have transitioned to this style of defense well, but I don't see Heyward being able to fill Keisel's shoes. Keisel definitely took a step back this year from the last, but he's a real 3-4 D lineman and Heyward just doesn't seem to be. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think we still need to add one more starting quality player on the D line.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #65
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
First off, we're a 3-4 team not a 4-3. If we were a 4-3 team and those were our starters then no, nobody would really want our D line. You have demonstrated a blind following of Keisel in many of your posts, but he is not a pass rusher and went downhill quite a bit this year. Hampton improved as the season went on, but nobody else would take a 35 year old NT who comes into camp over weight and has just had his ACL repaired. Ta'Amu is gone. McClendon played well when he got in, but nobody would be ready to spend much on him to take him away from us. Same as Hood.

As a 3-4 D line, we'll likely be ok if we get one more player. Hood and MccClendon seem to have transitioned to this style of defense well, but I don't see Heyward being able to fill Keisel's shoes. Keisel definitely took a step back this year from the last, but he's a real 3-4 D lineman and Heyward just doesn't seem to be. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think we still need to add one more starting quality player on the D line.
From seeing Heyward play, what makes you think he couldn't make it as a 3-4 end?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #66
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Move Hood to nose tackle, cut him, or convert to 4-3. He sucks as a 3-4 DE. Heyward will be much better at his spot.

Keisel still plays balls to the wall. Hampton is expendable with McLendon who is every bit as talented.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #67
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
what the ???

I think you mixed up Evander Hood (sucks in our system) and Cameron Heyward (so much potential to be rotting behind someone).
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #68
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Heyward weighs about the same as Reggie White.
He doesn't have RW's skill set. I see him as more of a penetrating DT than a pure edge rusher.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #69
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,293 Times in 644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
He doesn't have RW's skill set. I see him as more of a penetrating DT than a pure edge rusher.
True. Heyward does not have the agility, athletic ablity and array of pass rush moves that Reggie White did. Coming out of college, the NFL scouts didnt peg Heyward at a 4-3 DE because of his skill set.

Its like saying that Stevenson Sylvester is the same weight as Jack Lambert, so he could be a great MLB.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #70
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Hood, a 2009 first-rounder, will be going into the final season of his rookie-year contract as one of the NFL‘s least-productive players at his position.

Hood was, by far, the league‘s worst-rated pass-rushing defensive end, based on Pro Football Focus‘ every-down grading, yet he was on the field for more than three times as many snaps (833) as Heyward (267).

Their stats were similar: Hood had three sacks and three quarterback hurries; Heyward had 11⁄2 sacks and five hurries.

Hood has been in the NFL for four seasons, yet still hasn‘t forced a single fumble.

Hood is one of the Steelers‘ strongest players, yet questions persist among NFL scouts about his down-to-down effort and the frequency with which he disappears for long stretches.

Heyward, a 2011 first-rounder, has only 21⁄2 sacks in two seasons and, at times, seems to watch plays rather than take part in them after he gets moved off the line of scrimmage.

Hood won‘t be playing in 2013 just for a big contract, but a contract, period; Heyward, in his third NFL season, will be trying to establish for the first time that he is an every-snap player.

The Steelers need to find out if it‘s finally their time — or if it‘s time to move on.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2HW6zRMUu
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote