Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Purge salaries, build for 2014

The worst thing the Steelers can do this offseason is to let young guys like Wallace and Lewis walk and bring back expensive, over the hill vets to make one more run in 2013. Can't keep kicking salary down the road.

You also have to find out what you have in young guys like Worilds, Sylvester, Heyward, McClendon, and Allen and Brown in the secondary. If they stink, you know what you need in 2014. If you bench them for another year for guys in their mid-30's, you delay the process.

Indy purged a ton this past offseason. Worked pretty well for them.

Also, and this is where I have no faith in the staff and FO, but it's time to build around your young talent. Build a defense around penetrating one-gap DL, build an offense around a franchise QB in his prime and his myriad weapons, not Jonathan Dwyer and Ike Redman for chrissakes. Still trying to wrap my head around that one.

maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256
Default Re: Purge salaries, build for 2014

until DL decides to leave, our defense will not change. when it does, i want it to go to a 4-3
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Indy also was starting with the #1 overall pick in the draft. That's the biggest change for them from last year. Remember: we are a couple of plays away from the playoffs. We could/should have won the North. I know, coulda woulda shoulda, but it is reality. We aren't in "start over" mode. We shouldn't be. We are in a relaod situation (and I know that phrase is overused) but go down our roster and tell me what position we need to "start over" at? Also, vets aren't just good players, they lead. We missed Farrior this year. Definitely not his play but his leadership. It's one thing to have a bunch of talented young guys but to have some vet experience makes us dangerous. We cannot and should not purge.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
until DL decides to leave, our defense will not change. when it does, i want it to go to a 4-3
Force it. Lovie Smith is available, and we have more 4-3 players than 3-4 now.

It has to happen soon, do it now.

Rolling out the same team next year guarantees no better than 8-8, probably closer to 5-11.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
Indy also was starting with the #1 overall pick in the draft. That's the biggest change for them from last year. Remember: we are a couple of plays away from the playoffs. We could/should have won the North. I know, coulda woulda shoulda, but it is reality. We aren't in "start over" mode. We shouldn't be. We are in a relaod situation (and I know that phrase is overused) but go down our roster and tell me what position we need to "start over" at? Also, vets aren't just good players, they lead. We missed Farrior this year. Definitely not his play but his leadership. It's one thing to have a bunch of talented young guys but to have some vet experience makes us dangerous. We cannot and should not purge.
Who led this year? Thank them for all of their contributions, but it's time to move on. This team last won a Super Bowl four years ago. They're not recapturing that magic with the same players.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

The reason why the rest of the league circles their calendars when they play the Steelers, (and yes they do), and some teams even consider the Steelers their whole season is because the Rooneys don't do that. The teams that bet the farm for a playoff run every five or so years rarely even get into the playoffs on the years they are gaming for, because that is a losers' strategy, and just reveals that they think like losers, and so they lose. It's what they do. The Steelers win. It's what they do. Okay, we don't get the gold medal every year, but we start every season with a legitimate shot at it. Not all teams can say that. At 8-8 Steelers fans are ready to fire everyone and start over because it's such a letdown. But that's exactly what the teams that see 8-8 as not a losing season do to hover at 8-8. If you want to rebuild every year, become a Browns or a jags fan, but that's not really what you want, and the Steelers don't need to develop that mentality.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jiminpa For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-06-2013), NSMaster56 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
The reason why the rest of the league circles their calendars when they play the Steelers, (and yes they do), and some teams even consider the Steelers their whole season is because the Rooneys don't do that. The teams that bet the farm for a playoff run every five or so years rarely even get into the playoffs on the years they are gaming for, because that is a losers' strategy, and just reveals that they think like losers, and so they lose. It's what they do. The Steelers win. It's what they do. Okay, we don't get the gold medal every year, but we start every season with a legitimate shot at it. Not all teams can say that. At 8-8 Steelers fans are ready to fire everyone and start over because it's such a letdown. But that's exactly what the teams that see 8-8 as not a losing season do to hover at 8-8. If you want to rebuild every year, become a Browns or a jags fan, but that's not really what you want, and the Steelers don't need to develop that mentality.
It has nothing to do with this??

Clark - 33 yrs old - Stepped up this year ... but his time is coming, thankfully he never really relied on athleticism and more on his IQ and instincts...

Foote - 32 yrs old - Foote had a OK year this year with tackles , but He got burned in pass coverage wayyyyyy to much for the new NFL ... overall I wouldn't mind having him back if the price was right and only for a backup

Hampton - 35 yrs old - Boooo , Mclendon played better than him all year when given a chance ... Thanks Hampton but your time is up

Harrison - 34 yrs old - 6 Sacks , was he even on the field?? , Worilds had 5 with I'm guessing not even half as much playing time ... Thanks James but your run is over

Keisel - 34 yrs old - Overal not a bad year, but cost us with a couple of offsides, and with 1st round picks spent on taking over his position ... you have to let the 1st rounder take over, not just let them Rot on the bench for loyalty ... would really rather him not be back , but My guess is he will be and that'll be another year a 1st round pick is rotting away on the bench

Troy - 31 yrs old - Everybody and their mom agrees a shell of his former self ... He'll be back unless he retires ... Hopefully can stay healthy but I would rather have his money back on the books to have options to sign a younger play maker like Mike Wallace or whatever

Miller - 30 yrs old - coming off tearing his knee up - Great year , Great Player , but doubt he'll be ready for the beginning of the season

Woodley - 27 yrs old - Threw him on here because he got his big contract and seem like he doesn't care anymore ... GET INTO SHAPE

I'm sorry but they are in a rebuilding/reloading stage ... and they have been in the draft in the past years getting ready for this change ... but they won't let the players play because the older not productive anymore players are still around...

Keisel (Heyward , production doesn't drop off any from the switch)
Hampton (Mcclendon, production goes up with the switch)
Harrison (Worilds, Carter ... production doesn't drop , maybe goes up with the switch)
Foote ( Sly, Spence ... I don't think production drops much, and get a better pass coverage with the switch)
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbrunn For This Useful Post:
stiller39 (01-09-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

I agree with the OP. I do not agree with the word "purge" but I agree that the Steelers do not trust their young players enough or give them a chance to develop.

I remember Keisel being terrible against the run in his first year as a starter and teams constantly running to his side to take advantage. He improved a lot with the playing time and has now become a very solid performer.

Who thought James Harrison would have been able to do a better job than Joey Porter? Well he didn't in his first season as a starter recording only 8.5 sacks- he was DPOY the following season.

Could Keenan Lewis have been better than William Gay last year? Probably and Lewis would have been even better this year with a season under his belt.

That is one knock against the Steelers I agree with- they are too conservative at playing new personnel.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
cbrunn (01-06-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2013), pete74 (01-06-2013), stiller39 (01-09-2013), Terminator (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

I would rather see the steelers take 2013 as a year to build for the future than run out a roster full of 30+ year old declining players for a potential one and done playoff season at best. Most likely 8-8.

Trade down to accumulate picks. See of we can get a taker for Wallace if we franchise him and make him sing for his supper in 2013. Find some gems on other teams rosters, higher draft picks not performing and see if we can steal them. Give Rolando McClain a look.

Not sure i want to go into 2013 old as we did on 2012.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

The Cortez Allen / Keenan Lewis decision parallels the Mike Wallace / Tone Brown decision.

If you can't keep both which one do you choose? Allen is signed for 2 more years I believe. Can they afford Lewis? He is asking for Ike Taylor money. Sign Lewis and use Taylor's money on Allen when he retires?

I personally would let Lewis walk if he demands Ike Taylor money. Lewis has 1 career interception and while opposing quarterbacks have only an 80 RTG against him he covers the 2nd WR not the first WR.

So QBs have average production against Lewis matched up on the 2nd WR and he doesn't cause turnovers.

Allen is almost identical to Lewis - 6'1 4.51 40 time vs 6'0 4.47 40 time - but he has caused more turnovers in less playing time and opposing QBs also have an 80 RTG versus him.

Do they draft Johnathon Banks in the first?
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote