Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Purge salaries, build for 2014

I think purging salaries and deliberately going into rebuilding mode is a thing of the past. Few teams do it anymore.. It's becoming comon place that a team rebuilds in one offseason.... when you have a QB you always have a legit shot in today's NFL.

Look at Colts... everyone thought this year was their rebuilding year. In reality every year is a rebuilding year.. every year you should try to build a Superbowl contender... especially when you have a good QB.

So this idea of dumping 2013 for a better 2014 is just ridiculous.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madtowndrunkard For This Useful Post:
dcherry (01-09-2013), harrison'samonster (01-06-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (01-06-2013), NSMaster56 (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,440 Times in 4,024 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post

So this idea of dumping 2013 for a better 2014 is just ridiculous.
plus I wouldn't want to just sacrifice one of Ben's years that he has left, he is in his prime right now.
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Indy purged a ton this past offseason. Worked pretty well for them.
Indy is an anomaly which benefitted from one of the easiest schedules in football and had a ridiculous record in games decided by < 7 points. Statistically, they were not a good football team and they're likely to regress to the mean next year.

Besides, why should we use the Colts as a model of success when the Steelers have made 3 Super Bowls since 2005?

Every team in the league models themselves after and strives to be the Pats and/or Steelers.

I mean, the Bengals have made the playoffs in back-to-back years for the first time in 20+ years and are still waiting to win a playoff game in the same timeframe, but should the Steelers follow their team building strategies just because of a small sample size of success?

The Steelers are the gold standard and there's a reason why.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (01-07-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Indy is an anomaly which benefitted from one of the easiest schedules in football and had a ridiculous record in games decided by < 7 points. Statistically, they were not a good football team and they're likely to regress to the mean next year.

Besides, why should we use the Colts as a model of success when the Steelers have made 3 Super Bowls since 2005?

Every team in the league models themselves after and strives to be the Pats and/or Steelers.

I mean, the Bengals have made the playoffs in back-to-back years for the first time in 20+ years and are still waiting to win a playoff game in the same timeframe, but should the Steelers follow their team building strategies just because of a small sample size of success?

The Steelers are the gold standard and there's a reason why.
They sure did... so you are saying we should cut Ben? Heck....lets really rebuild... fire Ben... Fire all those Old dudes on that #1 ranked defense... lets start all over... and maybe we to can get our asses kicked in our first playoff game.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Few teams dump everything and rebuild in today's NFL... this isn't MLB. Unless you are coming in with new coaches... a new QB... and you are trying to turn around a failing franchise.. you don't need to take 2 steps backwards to allow your self to move forward.

We've got a QB that can win SB's... we've got one of the best defense in the NFL... which BTW did it with half a season of Troy....and an injured James Harrison and Lamar Woodley. IMO the 3 most important positions in the 3-4.... your OLB's and SS... ALL either out or not at full strength.

Think of all the great players we lost due to age or free agency over the years... yet we still managed to play at a higher level then most teams. Now because you think Casey Hampton and Larry Foote are too old we need to dump everything? Because a one trick pony WR w/ questionable hands might leave via FA......because Heath Miller blew out his knee....it's time to clean house? lol Maybe you need to remind your self of a guys named Rod Woodson, Bettis, Ward, Lloyd, Lake, Greene, Porter, etc etc... It's the steeler way... we lose guys... we re-stock them. Every draft we come away with 1 or 2 future starters... some guys might just be ready to step in and play. Some guys just might not be as finished as you think.

In today's NFL players restructure contracts... you lose a couple guys... you plug in a couple guys.... until the Rooney's sell the team I'm not going to suggest we throw in our cards and have a "rebuilding" year. The cap is different now... teams managed their cap differently now. The only teams I ever see "rebuilding" are the bad teams... the bad franchises.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #16
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Quote:
They sure did... so you are saying we should cut Ben? Heck....lets really rebuild... fire Ben... Fire all those Old dudes on that #1 ranked defense... lets start all over... and maybe we to can get our asses kicked in our first playoff game.
What?

Did you read my post?

Your moniker may be drunkard, but surely you didn't terribly misinterpret my post as 'bashing' did you?

I was saying the Steelers don't need to change a single thing.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
What?

Did you read my post?

Your moniker may be drunkard, but surely you didn't terribly misinterpret my post as 'bashing' did you?

I was saying the Steelers don't need to change a single thing.
I quoted the wrong post... my bad
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Quote:
I quoted the wrong post... my bad
*phew*

No biggie then. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts

We don't need to purge anything. We need an infusion of youth, and probably an updated defensive scheme.

Also, cutting Woodley? Not only would this actually hurt us in terms of the cap, but it's also one of the dumber things we could do.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We don't need to purge anything. We need an infusion of youth, and probably an updated defensive scheme.

Also, cutting Woodley? Not only would this actually hurt us in terms of the cap, but it's also one of the dumber things we could do.
I wouldn't cut Woodley, but someone needs to beat his ass into the gym. He looked like a fat slob all season.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (01-07-2013), stiller39 (01-09-2013)