Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #21
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,951 Times in 3,702 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: We could lose 4 key veterans

I don't think Miller's going to be ready to go at the beginning of the season. Last I heard he would be back half way through the season.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
The_Joker
Team Owner

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 1,242 Times in 662 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I don't think Miller's going to be ready to go at the beginning of the season. Last I heard he would be back half way through the season.
Ugh. I hope Pope will be good.

Hehehe, sounds like a new slogan.

"Hope with Pope!"
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I think you have to add Kiesel to the list. Maybe take off Starks. I'd like to keep Max.
If James Harrison doesn't cut his contract in half he needs to go. Same thing for Troy really.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #24
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,963 Times in 4,646 Posts

Max Starks Deserves At Least One More Year With The Steelers

Jan 5th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

Quick, name the only Offensive Lineman to start each and every regular season game of the 2012 season at the same position for the Steelers.

Give up?

Believe it or not “Steeler Nation,” but if you guessed “Max Starks,” you would be correct!

That’s right readers, Starks not only started all 16 of Pittsburgh’s regular season games at the Offensive Line’s most important spot (Left Tackle), but one could argue that he was Pittsburgh’s most consistent and effective Offensive Lineman all year long.

Despite his solid effort this past year, Starks does not believe that he will be coming back for a 10th season in “The Steel City,” even after one of the best seasons of his career from a run-blocking and pass-protecting standpoint. In a recent interview with Mike Bires of “The Beaver County Times” (via Josh Alper of ProFootballTalk.com), Starks shared his thoughts on the prospects of him sticking with the Steelers in 2013:

“Anytime you draft tackles in the second round in back-to-back years, I think it’s their plan to have them as the starting left and right tackles in the future. That’s their goal. So being a realist, I am not expecting to be back.”

Would it be nice to see Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams step-up and emerge as the team’s starting Left and Right Tackles next year? Heck yes it would. If both could play the entire season together (16 regular season games, plus hopefully playoffs) and develop into a pair of solid book-ends to make the veteran Starks expendable during this crucial rebuilding process, I would be downright overjoyed.

Unfortunately, I live in a little place called “reality.” And I know that asking for a season without injuries along the Steelers’ Offensive Line is a pretty tall order, especially over the last half decade in which assorted ailments have plagued Pittsburgh’s players in the trenches.

If you readers care to remember, Craig and I expressed last Summer why it would be in the Steelers’ best interests to re-up the former Florida Gator to a veteran 1 year deal. Few agreed with us and our thoughts on Starks being a steady insurance policy, especially after he sustained a knee injury during Pittsburgh’s Wild Card Playoff Loss to Denver last January. But just like clock-work, once the preseason began Pittsburgh’s Offensive Linemen began dropping like flies due to injuries. Thankfully for Pittsburgh, all Max did was come in and play effective football and protect the Steelers’ signal-callers blind-side’s throughout the regular season.

Because quality depth and health remain such areas of concern along the Steelers’ Offensive Line, I believe that G.M. Kevin Colbert should at least attempt to re-up Starks for “one last go-around” with the franchise in the neighborhood of a 1 year $1-1.25 million deal (his contract last season was worth $890,000). In fact, I hope that if the Steelers do re-up Starks that the starting Left Tackle position is open to competition during this offseason. That way, Pittsburgh will give the Top 3 Tackles (Starks, Gilbert, and Adams) on their depth chart the opportunity to win the blind-side job outright. As I alluded to before, I would love to see these younger players and high Draft selections like Gilbert and Adams have to stay hungry and fight for a chance to start, especially after such an under-achieving and injury-plagued season like this past one was. Maybe the extra heat on the 2nd and 3rd year players will inspire them to take their collective games’ to new levels and leave the veteran on the sidelines.

Health permitting next season, the Steelers must find a way to play the best player at each position along the Offensive front, regardless of age and experience. Thus, if Max is yet again believed to be the best option the team will have available at Left Tackle, they should go with him until Starks either calls it quits, or a younger player usurps him, not simply going with them because of their “Draft Status.”

As it stands now, I believe that there is no harm in the Steelers attempting to sign Starks to another one year contract in the neighborhood of $1 million dollars this offseason. Best case scenario, Max wrestles the Left Tackle job away from Adams and Gilbert. Worst case scenario, Starks is a quality “Swing” backup at the Left and Right Tackle positions and stands as a steady veteran presence for the young players along the Offensive Line.

Yet if another team offers Starks more money and/or a starting job outright this offseason, then I say more power to him and “Thank You” for 9 years, 123 Regular Season Games, 96 Starts, and the opportunity to watch 2 Super Bowl wins. I just believe that it would be unwise for the Steelers’ brass to simply dismiss a player like Starks so easily, especially when the “O-Line Issues” have yet to be fully solved.

Plus, what’s wrong with having a “steady, safe, and largely inexpensive” insurance policy like Starks at your team’s disposal at such an important position?

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/01/05...-the-steelers/
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,081 Times in 569 Posts

I love all 4 players. But if all four do go, then their replacement would be Worilds, Spence, Gilbert(or Adams) and McClendon.

Team with those 4 moves instantly start trending to becoming one of the youngest teams in the league. If the Steelers drop Hampton and put McClendon at NT. Steelers front 7 on defense becomes a complete rebuild and all very young.

Defensive Line: Hood, McClendon, Heyward, ages 26, 27, 24

Middle Linebackers: Timmons, Spence: ages 27, 24

Outside Linebackers: Worilds, Woodley: ages 25, 28

I am praying Spence is back at 100% for training camp next year. He was looking like a Derrick Brooks type middle linebacker during preseason. And he has lots of speed.

Steelers HAVE to resign players like Keenan Lewis.

My hope, and I know the Steelers are big on the draft and not delving into the free agent pool, but my advice would be to look into free agency a little more this season. Let all the old guys walk. Start your young studs and let go of the malcontents like Mendenhall and Wallace. Nothing destroys a young team more then when you have two players in prime positions playing and talking like (bleep) (bleep).

Let Mendenhall go. Sign Ben Tate and make him your feature. Keep Dwyer as the number 2 and Redman as the 3rd down back and goal line guy.

Let Wallace go, this frees up another 10 million you do not have to pay. Is Antonio Brown a number 1? I do not know, his high ankle sprain hurt his season a lot. If anyone here hasn't had a high ankle sprain before, it is like tearing a ligament in your MCL. It isn't season ending but tends to screw up your season a little. I say, let Plaxico have another shot in the off season to see if he can help. Otherwise, Colbert will need to pluck another 3rd round stud at WR in the draft.

Let Colon go. Too many injuries, too many bonehead plays. They aren't worth the 5 games during the year he has awesome run blocks in games.

Gilbert, Decastro, Pouncey, Foster, Adams. That's as solid line as you can have right now with no major tweaks and Big Ben being a QB. Maybe if you got a 20-25 carry RB, line will play better and keep Big Ben from ruining the season by holding the ball for 56 seconds in a game against the Jaguars and gets injured next year.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Ben Tate is in the middle of a 4 year deal. Not sure why everyone keeps saying to "Sign" him. He can't be signed. Lewis has to be a major priority. the #1 priority, in fact. The offense did fine with Wallace out. When Ike was down and Lewis went out, though, the secondary went to hell.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
This was a edit on one of my posts, that you replied to before I edited it

Put the young guys out there in 2013 ... see how they play and how they learn ... might be a rough season but then you really know what positions you need going forward ... right now you don't know

still have Sly at ILB who has yet to be given a chance, Spence coming back from injury

Worilds and Carter at OLB , who were both supposed to be "draft steals" when we got them in the draft... but what do we have in them players??? who knows because they don't get enough time, granted Carter seems to always be injured
Sly needs a shot. He is an excellent open field tackler as evidenced by his amazing sp team play. Sly and C Brown (who is bad in man coverage) transformed the sp teams coverage which was horrid.

Playing Foote over Sly is about as smart as playing Gay over Lewis.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Sly needs a shot. He is an excellent open field tackler as evidenced by his amazing sp team play. Sly and C Brown (who is bad in man coverage) transformed the sp teams coverage which was horrid.

Playing Foote over Sly is about as smart as playing Gay over Lewis.
If Stevenson hasnt shown he has earned a shot by now and Sean Spence was a 3rd round pick last year..........Sylvester is nothing more than a special teamer(like I said this preseason).

Hampton, Foote, Starks can all walk. Harrison should be restructured because we really dont have much behind him other than Worilds and Chris Carter. If Steelers let Harrison go, then they draft an OLB high and deal with Woodley and Worilds at OLB.....which isnt great.

Larry Foote could sign for vet minimum and backup Spence and Timmons, but I really hope he doesnt start next season.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,081 Times in 569 Posts

Shit, i thought Tate was a free agent this year. nevermind on that.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,963 Times in 4,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Shit, i thought Tate was a free agent this year. nevermind on that.
Tate has one more year left on his contract, after that he will be looking for a huge contract that I doubt the Steelers would be willing to pay.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote