Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Here is a Pole ? For Ya....

I know this is Old news... But I have a Raiders fan friend and he is a good/best friend and he Loves the Raiders reliegeously just like I do the Steelers. He still believes that Tuck Rule Call against the Patriots was a terrrible call. I agree with him... I think the Patriots had that game handed to them. He believes every call goes against the Raiders.. I have seen alot of bad calls against the Raiders.. but I believe they happen to everyone.
My Pole question for everyone is...
Do you.... now.. be Honest.... Do you really believe the NFL is against the Raiders as most all the Raiders fans believe?
I have mixed feelin's in some ways I believe they are and some ways I dont think they are...So give me your HONEST Oppinions...
God Bless All
Elvis
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
BBC
Team Captain

Member Number: 2109
Default Re: Here is a Pole ? For Ya....

I think it's a joke to think for even a second that an entire league is biased against a team.
BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Im still waiting for this Polish guy to turn up.....

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Just to disclose my background, I have lived primarily in Seattle and San Diego. The Raiders were hated rivals in both towns. So I am not claiming to have viewed them through an unbiased filter.

That being said, I think that Raiders organization is one that has, at least over the last few decades, prided itself as being a team that embraces undisciplined players. I wouldn't claim every player fits that description (Marcus Allen for example), but there does seem to be a trend of Alzado or Romanowski types that seem to find a place in the Raider organization when other teams won't tolerate their behavior and attitude.

There are some pros to this... This trend has given the Raiders a distinctive style and, until recent years, made them a feared team. Even if you knew your team was better then the Raiders, you always knew your guys were gonna get pretty banged up when they played. The fanbase seems to eat up the attitude exuded by the team.

The flip side is that the emphasis on being tough and sometimes scary/crazy led to a lack of discipline on the field. There were many players who didn't place a premium on following rules. While you knew that the Raiders were going to play a "smashmouth" type of game, you also knew that you could draw them into needless penalties. Team cohesion seemed tenuous most of the time. It seemed like the best way to beat the Raiders was to keep your head and try to have them beat themselves.

So ultimately, I don't think there is a ref conspiracy against the Raiders. I think their undisciplined (I keep saying that word- I better open a thesaurus) play led to more penalites being called against them.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Im still waiting for this Polish guy to turn up.....

NM

I was thinking the same thing actually.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Just to disclose my background, I have lived primarily in Seattle and San Diego. The Raiders were hated rivals in both towns. So I am not claiming to have viewed them through an unbiased filter.

That being said, I think that Raiders organization is one that has, at least over the last few decades, prided itself as being a team that embraces undisciplined players. I wouldn't claim every player fits that description (Marcus Allen for example), but there does seem to be a trend of Alzado or Romanowski types that seem to find a place in the Raider organization when other teams won't tolerate their behavior and attitude.

There are some pros to this... This trend has given the Raiders a distinctive style and, until recent years, made them a feared team. Even if you knew your team was better then the Raiders, you always knew your guys were gonna get pretty banged up when they played. The fanbase seems to eat up the attitude exuded by the team.

The flip side is that the emphasis on being tough and sometimes scary/crazy led to a lack of discipline on the field. There were many players who didn't place a premium on following rules. While you knew that the Raiders were going to play a "smashmouth" type of game, you also knew that you could draw them into needless penalties. Team cohesion seemed tenuous most of the time. It seemed like the best way to beat the Raiders was to keep your head and try to have them beat themselves.

So ultimately, I don't think there is a ref conspiracy against the Raiders. I think their undisciplined (I keep saying that word- I better open a thesaurus) play led to more penalites being called against them.
i belive you nailed it right on the head.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006
Do you.... now.. be Honest.... Do you really believe the NFL is against the Raiders as most all the Raiders fans believe?
I have mixed feelin's in some ways I believe they are and some ways I dont think they are...So give me your HONEST Oppinions...
I'm just amazed that the raiders fans were able to put their down long enough to come up with a question like that...
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

No I truly don't think that...although I did cherish "The Immaculate Reception".

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #9
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Conspiracy? Al Davis's command to "just win baby!" has led to players doing anything to gain an edge. The Raiders used to have a sign in the locker room, I can't remember exactly what it said, but basically it said cheat if you have to. Anyone remember this? There was an ex-Raider on the NFL network a while back talking about it. The Raiders had a reputation as a dirty team simply because they were. There is no conspiracy against any team in the NFL. Anyone who believes that is too blind to realize the money that is at stake. The NFL would never allow anything like this to happen simply because of what it would do to the league's image.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Raiders fans always think everyone is against them. They'll never admit they're team commits penalties just like every other one...
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote