Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,648 Times in 4,660 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Off Season Moves- If I were in Charge

If I were in charge I would sign Cowher as our ST coach. Which can only mean more Sean Morey! That would solve a major problem for this team.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Wtf why do you people hate Keisel all of a sudden. He was our best end. Looking for an excuse?
Nobody hats Keisel....but he makes more than Hood, Heyward, mcClenden and woods combined.

He is not near worth that.
defence (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set-Man View Post
Thanks for the post.

I would not cut Woodley or Keisel. I know everybody is down on Woodley but he is the only really good OLB we have. He did have a down year but seemed limited by his hammy.
If Harrison doesn't restructure his contract I would cut him. He is looking old and won't hold up for a full year.

I would also get rid of a lot of the names mentioned: Leftwich, Wallace (they won't franchise him and he isn't worth 10 million in my opinion), Hampton, Pope, Colon, & Mendenhall.

It is time for Mclendon, Hood, and Heyward to play. Keisel can be there in case Heyward doesn't cut it.
I would definitely not cut Spence until we see what he has after recovering from his injury.

We should be able to pick up a decent RB off the free agent wire. Did you see Harris last night playing for the Pack? He looked like a smaller Marshawn lynch for the few plays I saw him play.

Any free agent p/u's would be great if we can get them.

I am sorry but Troy's best days are way behind him. he can't stay healthy and is a liability in the secondary in terms of coverage. Time to start looking at the FS from Florida if he is available at #17.
Can't cut Woodley...to much dead cap Money....Keisel is 34 and as i posted before makes way to much money.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Wtf why do you people hate Keisel all of a sudden. He was our best end. Looking for an excuse?
he is an average DL in a 3-4 defense. the reason he stands out is the lack of production/chance of Heyward and minimal production from Hood.

Add that with his age and salary its time to move in a first round pick.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelers5895 For This Useful Post:
defence (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,572 Times in 1,697 Posts

Sign Lewis, Foster, Dwyer. Offer Mendenhall a moderate contract as he really is the only RB on the roster that is 225lbs and isnt a plodder. Is Sanders restricted?? Have a good core of young guys and I expect Tony Clemons to get a shot next season.

Try and sign Hood to a decent contract and McLendon....let Hampton go. Hood, Keisel, Heyward, McLendon, Taamu, Fangopu are decent.

Restructure Troy, Harrison, Ben's contracts to free up some more $$.

Let Foote, Wallace, Hampton, Starks sign elsewhere and cut Colon in favor of paying Foster. Sadly may have to offer Worilds a one year deal since we really have no other OLB prospects solidly on the roster.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Keisel 939 snaps 46 tackles 4.5 sacks

Heyward 236 snaps 20 tackles 1.5 sacks

If Heyward had played 939 snaps: 79 tackles!!! 6 sacks.

Heyward is a beast and is the next Richard Seymour. If you don't know now you know.

Keisel is an overachiever and a Steeler for the ages- but Heyward is on another level.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #17
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
I look at this team as not being one player away so I think its going to take a series of moves, even ones that may sacrifice 2013 to reload this team for another 4-6 years of playoff runs. We are not far off but the arrow is pointing down on this roster not up. I dont see many things to get excited about and more things that concern me. So here I go:

Re-Signing:
-Keenan Lewis
-Mike Wallace to a franchise tag- out of character for the steelers. he has talent so either we will get a 1st and 3rd or we put Mike in a position to sing for his supper for a long term contract
-Resign Plexico Burress- with our wr injury history and stalling red zone offense a big weapon like buress could turn the fgs into tds. burners like sanders, wallace and brown are ineffective inside the 20.
- Max Starks
- Jonathan Dwyer- has the most upside between him and Redman. this is back up money contract
- Legursky and Foster- key back ups who can play at multiple positions
- McClendon- replaces Hampton

Cuts:
- Brett Keisel- time to start Heyward and see what he can do with consistant play. can't stunt the growth of our first rounders. If he can't make it, we know we need to look in that direction in the 2013 off season
- Lamaar Woodley- too injury proned, no impact plays, he is more of a stat compiler the last 3 seasons than someone who has made an impact. his size and lack of speed makes him too one dimensional for his salary
- Willie Colon- cant stay healthy

Restructure:
-James Harrsion- he finally got healthy last quarter of the season and was the impact player we need. Going into the off season without needing a surgery and somewhat healthy could mean big things in 2013...at a reduced rate.
-Troy Polamalu- see above- same thing

Let hampton, batch, mendy, redman, sanders, foote, leftwich, mundy, sylvestor go

Free Agent signings:
- #2 qb- Tyler Thigpen, Kellen Klemens type guy, low money, seen action, can fill in for 2-3 games if needed. we lose Ben for any longer our season is shot anyway so wont matter who we have at #2
- Joique Bell- RB- DET- runs hard, can catch out of the backfield, wont demand big money and can be a starter.
- Alan Branch- DL- SEA- former first round pick who hasnt panned out. Size and speed could make him versitle on our line as a veteran as we see what we have with our young 1st round picks- can come cheap
- Rolando McClain- struggling first round pick available for cheap. Has speed to play OLB or ILB. Raiders arent exactly a great place to develop LBs, we are. Could be a huge reward player given a second chance

Cant be over active with Free Agents based on cap room. Need to find gems

The Draft:

Trade down from 17 to 26-32 and get another late 2 and a 4. No one at 17 is going to step in and start so lets get more players to develop for 2014.

Rd 1- ILB
Rd 2- DT
Rd 2- S
Rd 3- OLB
Rd 4- RB
Rd 4- burner WR
Rd 5- QB
Rd 6- TE
Rd 7- DL

A defensive heavy draft to get some youth for a VERY old defense. I feel our offense, although it didnty play well at the end of the year is closer to being fixed than the defense is to staying productive.

If I was in charge, I'd fire YOU.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madtowndrunkard For This Useful Post:
El-Gonzo Jackson (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #18
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Ok this ought to be fun ... I agree with most of what you were saying

According to these articles,
I would do all the restructures(20 mill saved) ,
Cut Harrison(5 mill saved) ,
Cut Keisel and Cotchery(4 mill saved)
Restructure or release Ike Taylor (My favorite player on the Steelers so this hurts, but business is business and it would save 4 mill)... only an option IF NEEDED
Resign for Cheaper or Cut Colon (1 mill in cap savings)....
that would free up about 34 mill ... (16 over the cap to start , save 34 , now have 18mil open) ... all numbers are rounded for easy math
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12...-restructures/
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/12...y-cap-numbers/
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08...cap-situation/

Resigns
With only 18 mill to work with , this is the part that will get messy
Sign - Keneen Lewis - 4 mill a year? sounds fair to me.... now down to 15 mill
Sign - Max Starks - 1 mill ... now down to 14 mill
Sign - Ramon Foster - 2 mill a year? ... now down to 13 mill
Bring back the backup QB Johnson had on the pre season roster , and Denise Dixon ... both would be minimum signings , whatever that is ... so say still have 12 mill Left (8 without cutting Ike)

Draft using http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1b.asp (to see who will be left when)
1st - trade back with Rams , they want to jump infront of the Bears to take the best Oline ... either Warmack or Eric Fisher , get an extra 4th and 5th to drop back 4 spots
1st (From Rams) - Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame - Need with Heath out and getting older
2nd - Desmond Trufant - CB - Washington - Need with letting Ike go, and Curtis Brown showed nothing
3rd - Da'Rick Rodgers - WR - Tennessee Tech - Letting Cotch go, and adding a tall receiver and allowing Sanders to work the slot instead of outside
4th(from Rams) - Gerald Hodges - ILB/OLB - Penn State - probably will move inside if Spence isn't ready, but can play Outside also if needed, 2 years with other 100 tackles, and good in coverage
4th - Duke Williams - SS - Nevada - Love the Value here, will be a good Pro, great at running with receivers and TEs
5th (from Rams) - Omoregie Uzzi - OG - Gerogia Tech - Depth
5th - Trevardo Williams - OLB - Conn - Great Pass rush upside value here

Depth Chart
Offense
QB - Ben , Johnson - Dixon
RB - Dwyer - Redman - Rainey - Batch
WR - Brown - Sanders
WR- Rodgers - Toney Clemons
TE- Heath - Eifert - Paulson
LT - Gilbert - Starks
LG - Foster - uzzi
C - Pouncey - Legs
RG - Decastro - Uzzi
RT - Adams - Beachum

Defense
DE - Heyward - Woods
NT - Mclendon - Tamu - Fangpu
DE - Hood - Woods
ROLB - Worilds - Carter - Trevardo Williams
ILB - Timmons - Sly
ILB - Spence - Hodges
LOLB - Woodley - Trevardo Williams
CB - Ike Taylor? - Keenan Lewis - Cortez Allen - Desmond Trufant - Curtis Brown - Van Dyke
FS - Clark - Cromartie-Smith - Golden
SS - Troy - Duke Williams

Sign a few others for depth , also have 2 other draft pics ... depending on Salary Cut Ike (if the 4 mill isn't needed don't cut him, I don't want too)

but that's the over run

Last edited by cbrunn; 01-07-2013 at 12:17 PM.
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #19
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

To the OP:

If I were running the show:

First I’d have to start obviously by evaluating what I have on the roster. My personal philosophy is, if a guy has been there more than one year and you don’t know what you have in him, you have nothing until he proves otherwise. As such, my moves would be as follows.

Re-Signing:

Keenan Lewis

Dwyer – Decent speed, great tackle breaking ability; moderately productive

Redman – Power back, until we find someone to replace him, his resigning is more than justified.

Legursky key back up who can play at multiple positions

McClendon- replaces Hampton

Emmanuel Sanders – as a #3 guy, he is solid, but he does indeed have to cure that fumbling issue.

Wallace – I’m on the fence about him, not on the fence enough to tag him, but if he is willing to stop being selfish and start being realistic, I’d sign him to be the #2 Receiver, beside our best Receiver, Antonio Brown. Otherwise, he can go sign with someone who wants to pull up with his drama queen b.s.

Cuts: *the notion to cut Keisel or Woodley is pure idiocy. When healthy, they are a couple of the best players we have.

Jerricho Cotchery - his effectiveness has been minimal. It'll save cash.

James Harrison – I’m a huge fan of Harrison and this would for me, be the hardest cut I make but it would ultimately save about five million if he was cut prior to June 1 st . ($4M plus 1.5 in dead money after June 1 st )

Willie Colon – I agree he can’t stay healthy.

Restructure:

Troy Polamalu – He can’t deny his age(31) or injury issues, his time here is nearing an end.

*depending on what his contract looks like* Ryan Clark – see Troy Polamalu

Brett Keisel - love the guy but his age warrants it

Ike Taylor - great CB, but given his age, its time.

Let go to FA:

Casey Hampton - age

Larry Foote - age

Rashard Mendenhall – fumbling issues, lack of production

Byron Leftwich - He is a terrible back up

Charlie Batch - age

Stevenson Sylvester – his progression, if there is any, is far too slow

Brandon Johnson – I’m sure we can find better, cheaper backups

David Johnson – easily replaced with an upgrade

Justin King – eh..there’s better db’s available.

Leonard Pope – Paulson is better

Max Starks – With Gilbert healthy, we need a backup, they can come a lot cheaper than Starks

Greg Warren – he is a Long Snapper, I couldn’t care less if we keep him or not

Plaxico Burress – really didn’t add much offense, will probably retire.

Ramon Foster – I just can’t justify paying him a veteran salary when Beachum is playing well and we have so many OL on reserve.

Jeremy Kapinos – he is a punter they are a dime a dozen.

Will Allen – He is 34 or 35..Safety has to be a draft priority.

Free Agent Signings: *Thigpen, Klemens…they’re terrible. Bell isn’t better than anything we already have, Alan Branch is left over bust, though it might be worth a shot in training camp. Rolando McClain..you mean the character plagued overrated LB our of Oakland… yea..no..again maybe for training camp but I don’t see him as a Pittsburgh type of player.

If I were to go after a backup QB in FA, it’d be Matt Moore. I’d say Joe Flacco just because it’d be funny..but he’s not going to be a FA.. I’d also suggest Alex Smith..however he’s going to get a starting job somewhere, very possibly KC (I expect smith to be cut or traded).

At RB:

IF he goes FA: Danny Woodhead – Teamed up with Chris Rainey out of the back field need I say more?

At LB: I don’t recall if they resigned him not, but if not, Rey Maualuga could become a Free Agent..I’d just on that like white on rice. Realistically speaking..0 chance he hits free agency.

At DB: The only guy I’d want to sign, if he didn’t retire and went into Free Agency, would be Ed Reed, I’ve always thought about what it’d be like to see them on the same roster.

Aside from there are attractive options: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aquib Talib, neither of which would justify the cost it would take to get them to town.

Outside of the above mentioned, there isn’t any ‘big names’ I’d go after in free agency at all. Furthermore big name free agent signing isn’t the Pittsburgh way.

The Draft:

Trade an extra pick with #17 to move up and acquire Manti Te’o OR trade back deep into the 1 st round for a 2 nd and 4 or a 3 rd and next year’s 1 st or 2 nd and grab a safety, Lb, or wr.

1 st Rd – S or LB

2 nd Rd – S or LB (whichever I didn’t get in the 1 st )

3 rd Rd – QB or LB (depending on who is out there at QB (I’d draft Zac Dysert in a heartbeat)

4 th Rd – RB or DL

5 th Rd – WR

6 th Rd – LB or DB

7 th Rd – DL or DB
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
I look at this team as not being one player away so I think its going to take a series of moves, even ones that may sacrifice 2013 to reload this team for another 4-6 years of playoff runs. We are not far off but the arrow is pointing down on this roster not up. I dont see many things to get excited about and more things that concern me. So here I go:

Re-Signing:
-Keenan Lewis
-Mike Wallace to a franchise tag- out of character for the steelers. he has talent so either we will get a 1st and 3rd or we put Mike in a position to sing for his supper for a long term contract
-Resign Plexico Burress- with our wr injury history and stalling red zone offense a big weapon like buress could turn the fgs into tds. burners like sanders, wallace and brown are ineffective inside the 20.
- Max Starks
- Jonathan Dwyer- has the most upside between him and Redman. this is back up money contract
- Legursky and Foster- key back ups who can play at multiple positions
- McClendon- replaces Hampton

Cuts:
- Brett Keisel- time to start Heyward and see what he can do with consistant play. can't stunt the growth of our first rounders. If he can't make it, we know we need to look in that direction in the 2013 off season
- Lamaar Woodley- too injury proned, no impact plays, he is more of a stat compiler the last 3 seasons than someone who has made an impact. his size and lack of speed makes him too one dimensional for his salary
- Willie Colon- cant stay healthy

Restructure:
-James Harrsion- he finally got healthy last quarter of the season and was the impact player we need. Going into the off season without needing a surgery and somewhat healthy could mean big things in 2013...at a reduced rate.
-Troy Polamalu- see above- same thing

Let hampton, batch, mendy, redman, sanders, foote, leftwich, mundy, sylvestor go

Free Agent signings:
- #2 qb- Tyler Thigpen, Kellen Klemens type guy, low money, seen action, can fill in for 2-3 games if needed. we lose Ben for any longer our season is shot anyway so wont matter who we have at #2
- Joique Bell- RB- DET- runs hard, can catch out of the backfield, wont demand big money and can be a starter.
- Alan Branch- DL- SEA- former first round pick who hasnt panned out. Size and speed could make him versitle on our line as a veteran as we see what we have with our young 1st round picks- can come cheap
- Rolando McClain- struggling first round pick available for cheap. Has speed to play OLB or ILB. Raiders arent exactly a great place to develop LBs, we are. Could be a huge reward player given a second chance

Cant be over active with Free Agents based on cap room. Need to find gems

The Draft:

Trade down from 17 to 26-32 and get another late 2 and a 4. No one at 17 is going to step in and start so lets get more players to develop for 2014.

Rd 1- ILB
Rd 2- DT
Rd 2- S
Rd 3- OLB
Rd 4- RB
Rd 4- burner WR
Rd 5- QB
Rd 6- TE
Rd 7- DL

A defensive heavy draft to get some youth for a VERY old defense. I feel our offense, although it didnty play well at the end of the year is closer to being fixed than the defense is to staying productive.
Re-Sign:
K. Lewis - Only if he accepts a reasonable 4+ year deal, if he wants BIG money, then we let him go.
M. Wallace - Only if he realizes his value has dropped and accepts a reasonable deal, if not he's gone.
R. Mendenhall - to a reasonable deal, not too expensive though.
M. Starks - Another one year deal lol, like the past 3 seasons.
I. Redman - two year deal for cheap and a good back up for Mendenhall, especially on 3rd downs.
R. Foster - Only if he changes his mind about being a starter, he's moderate at best and not worth Starting or a starting lineman's contract.
S. McClendon - Does replace Casey Hampton.
L. Foote - If he doesn't decide to retire, we should sign him to a 1-2 year deal so Spence has time to learn and develop since he was injured all this season.
W. Allen - Was solid when Polamalu was out of action, good back up to have. 2-year deal.
E. Sanders - Had ball handling issues this year, but fits this offense well and if he trains hard should be back to being a reliable #3 receiver. 2-3 year deal.
D. Legursky - Plays every O-Line Position moderately and is a pretty good back up. 2-3 year deal?

Release:
P. Burress - If and only if Mike Wallace does re-sign, if Wallace doesn't re-sign then pick up Burress for a One year deal.
W. Colon - Has ended up on Injured Reserve way too much and makes too much money.
J. Dwyer - He was our best back this year, but I just don't see him being our Starting Back or even a 3rd down type of back, so he should be let go.
C. Hampton - Not dominant anymore and should consider retiring.
C. Batch & B. Leftwich - We need better back up QBs. Bye Bye.
S. Sylvester - Hasn't really developed well and is mainly special teams type of backer now.

1. Safety/Cornerback (Depending on who's available)
2. Guard
3. Linebacker
4. Tight End
5. Defensive Tackle
6. Wide Receiver
7. Cornerback
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote