Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,943 Times in 9,370 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: How legit is Colbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Again, everybody bitches about Ziggy Hood maybe being a bust
I think people compare him to Aaron Smith... which is akin to comparing the Eagles' current DEs to Reggie White & then complaining about them.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,819 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Urbik was a bust for us. We didn't do a good job evaluating him because he is doing well in Buffalo.
Not me. I had him as a guy that will last 10 years in the NFL and hopefully with the Steelers. We didnt even give Urbik 24 months on the team, but gave Tony Hills 4 years. Below is my posting from 2009.... (man was I wrong on Duke Robinson and Trevor Canfield)

I like Urbik. When I saw him play in reg season I thought he was a big strong mauler with a nasty streak....but he didnt look to have quick feet to pull and trap. After watching him in the Senior Bowl week of practice he showed good agility.

I honestly think Urbik is behind Mack, Robinson, Wood, Cantwell and Tyronne Green. I can see Urbik probably going in the 3rd round, but could move up if there is a run on guards
.http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ighlight=urbik

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Ziggy is not a bust!
I dont think he is either. We needed a D lineman at #32 and got one that year. Everybody thinks if you draft a 1st rounder, he better be a pro bowler every year.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #23
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Loaded with wideouts? Wallace is gone and AB is a question mark number 2, Sanders can be replaced easily.
Yes, we know that you do not like AB.

For a 6th round pick, I'd say the kid is pretty good. I also thought that Wallace was a good pick (although, he could be gone... or, franchised). And, I am not ruling out Sanders after just three seasons (Hines Ward was considered a bust early on, and hence, they drafted Troy Edwards & Plaxico Burress in back-to-back years). Add in Cotcherty, and I think that this is a very skilled WR corps.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509

I thought Tomlin played just as big as a role in drafting as Colbert does.

Colbert is probably one of the best GM's in the NFL, and it would be a mistake to let him go. From what I understand, he has a lot of power to make decisions for the Steelers. Obviously the Rooneys trust him to make the best decisions.

If you were to get rid of Colbert, who are you going to replace him with? Drafting is always a gamble, some star players in college pan out in the pros, others do not. Is it the fault of the GM is those don't pan out?

But I think Colbert has done a pretty great job on getting talent, although sometimes not always the "best available", but for the most part we should be thankful of his decisions.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
I thought Tomlin played just as big as a role in drafting as Colbert does.

Colbert is probably one of the best GM's in the NFL, and it would be a mistake to let him go. From what I understand, he has a lot of power to make decisions for the Steelers. Obviously the Rooneys trust him to make the best decisions.

If you were to get rid of Colbert, who are you going to replace him with? Drafting is always a gamble, some star players in college pan out in the pros, others do not. Is it the fault of the GM is those don't pan out?

But I think Colbert has done a pretty great job on getting talent, although sometimes not always the "best available", but for the most part we should be thankful of his decisions.
To clarify:
Colbert is going nowhere. He will retire in a few years... and then...

To answer your question of "Who?":
Omar Khan.

Khan has been offered other GM jobs, but has turned them down, because he will take over as the GM for the Steelers (which just happens to be one of the top jobs in ALL of sports).
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #26
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

I think he is good but way overrated on this board. He seems to have slipped a bit in recent years and missed out on a lot of great opportunities. Besides M.Pouncey, Colbert hasn't had any recent stud draft picks. I'm still looking to see how DeCastro pans out but I have a bad feeling he will be a dud. Like a lot of Roethlisburger fans, I believe the Colbert fans are living in the not so far past. Can't see what is in store for us this year's draft.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #27
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,045 Times in 4,580 Posts

Guys, listen to Teegre. Khan is going to be the next GM of the Steelers. He would've left a long, long time ago unless, ya know, he got the idea from somewhere that he would become the GM of the Steelers. He deserves the job, too. With the magic he's worked with our cap situation, he should be nicknamed Houdini.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Steelers win AFC North next 2 seasons in a row.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #29
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,745 Times in 979 Posts

RE: Hood

While I'll agree that it maybe unreasonable to expect Hood to play at the same level as A.Smith, but for a guy as big and as strong as he's supposed to be, one would like to see him not getting trucked like he's on skates as often as he does, especially against zone blocking schemes. Of course playing next to Mr. Softy at OLB isn't making him look any too good.....
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote