Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish
Default Re: Why cut Hampton?

Keisel still has it. Hampton still has it, but not to that extent; he will do fine elsewhere if we no longer require his services. Harrison still has it, but he had some boo-boo's. Troy still has it. Taylor still has it.

Beats me why our new excuse has gone from Haley to "We're old."

Take one look at the New York Knicks and find a better excuse. *Knicks still suck, go Heat!*
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Exactly... and Heyward is ready.

Joey Porter was let go. Greg Lloyd was let go. Franco Harris was let go.

More importantly, Hines Ward was great one year... and then, nothing. Father Time is faster than all of us. It's just a matter of when.
It's always sad when it happens. Bettis was the first Steeler I really remember paying attention to. We got him in 97 I believe. I had never really followed football much but he was just so fun to watch. Makes me feel old seeing all these rookies drafted younger than me. And I know one of the older posters will tell me about how it is when you're older than all of the players so I'll hush on that heh but it really is sad but in a way moving to see a player age especially if you get to see them in their best like the guys whom you mentioned.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Why cut Hampton?

Because too much money is tied up in a DT that has to "play his way back to game-shape" every season, and that only plays well during the last 4 weeks of every season.

He looked great the last few weeks, like he usually does, but that window of a few good games seems to be shrinking every year. Pretty soon they will be paying Casey for a full year's worth of playing and only getting two games worth of production.

McClendon is ready. Ta'amu? Don't know, but I think he should be in jail for what he did (nothing personal-- if I went on a drunken rampage through some downtown and tried to run multiple people over, including several cops, I would go to jail, and athletes should be held to the same).
Old 01-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,517 Times in 4,599 Posts
My Mood: Tired

I definitely agree w/ what teegre is saying. As a person just watching the games, Keisel looks great, and Hampton and Harrison look like they got back into it by the end of the season. However, that's why ppl like me are not making decisions. I was sorry to see Farrior, Ward, and Bettis go. Oh well, they were a blast to watch while they were here.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #25
The_Joker
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I definitely agree w/ what teegre is saying. As a person just watching the games, Keisel looks great, and Hampton and Harrison look like they got back into it by the end of the season. However, that's why ppl like me are not making decisions. I was sorry to see Farrior, Ward, and Bettis go. Oh well, they were a blast to watch while they were here.
Sure they will play better at the end, most players do. If Harrison wasn't hurt we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Seems to me like you guys want a "automatically cut once X Player reaches the age of 32" rule. Some of our best players are over 30, but noooooo we should put in Ta'amu the Unproven Crook in instead.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Sure they will play better at the end, most players do. If Harrison wasn't hurt we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Seems to me like you guys want a "automatically cut once X Player reaches the age of 32" rule. Some of our best players are over 30, but noooooo we should put in Ta'amu the Unproven Crook in instead.
As long as he is ready to contribute in more than 5 games, which is all we get out of Hampton anymore.

It took him until midseason for his knee to completely recover (or at least to the point where a 375-lb man is no longer on ice-skates every play), and then a couple more weeks to get up to speed.

Not worth it to pay veteran premiums for 16 weeks when you only get 5 weeks of honest productivity.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,622 Times in 10,389 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
Keisel still has it. Hampton still has it, but not to that extent; he will do fine elsewhere if we no longer require his services. Harrison still has it, but he had some boo-boo's. Troy still has it. Taylor still has it.

Beats me why our new excuse has gone from Haley to "We're old."

Take one look at the New York Knicks and find a better excuse. *Knicks still suck, go Heat!*
Excuses??? Huh??? I don't see what excuse you are referring to. You lost me. We were discussing Hampton being let go, because he is at "that" point & has two players waiting to start behind him. Then, the thread moved to Keisel... who is also nearing that point.... and has Heyward behind him. And then... you talk about excuses and Harrison, Troy, & Ike.

Again, that non-sequitor lost me.

Casey does not have it. Keisel still has it. Harrison still has it. Troy still has it. And, Ike still has it.

BUT, there are players behind Hampton & Keisel. Furthermore, Ike is only 32 &Troy is only 31... and there is a big difference between 34 & 32. Harrison is still a monster, but he could be a cap casualty, as well... but, with that said, I think he comes back, because there is little behind him (besides an injury-prione Worilds & a blase Carter).

THINK OF IT THIS WAY:
In 2005, Kimo von Oelhoffen was much like The Beard: dearly loved, and a great player. BUT, he was let go... Now, can you tell me why?

A: Because, Brett Keisel was waiting in the wings, and was ready to start.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Can't we release the big fella then when he gets no offers or takers from other teams, sign him with a vet minimum?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
The_Joker
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Excuses??? Huh??? I don't see what excuse you are referring to. You lost me. We were discussing Hampton being let go, because he is at "that" point & has two players waiting to start behind him. Then, the thread moved to Keisel... who is also nearing that point.... and has Heyward behind him. And then... you talk about excuses and Harrison, Troy, & Ike.

Again, that non-sequitor lost me.

Casey does not have it. Keisel still has it. Harrison still has it. Troy still has it. And, Ike still has it.

BUT, there are players behind Hampton & Keisel. Furthermore, Ike is only 32 &Troy is only 31... and there is a big difference between 34 & 32. Harrison is still a monster, but he could be a cap casualty, as well... but, with that said, I think he comes back, because there is little behind him (besides an injury-prione Worilds & a blase Carter).

THINK OF IT THIS WAY:
In 2005, Kimo von Oelhoffen was much like The Beard: dearly loved, and a great player. BUT, he was let go... Now, can you tell me why?

Well atleast you realize Keisel, Harrison, Ike and Troy are still our best options. Hampton may not be worth it, but that's why we should have someone better than Ta'amu to step up. If we were in a 4-3, I'd hug the gut goodbye and stick with McClendon; BUT TA'AMU CAN'T TAKE HAMPTON'S SPOT YET!!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #30
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
THINK OF IT THIS WAY:

This is a very good point.

Heyward is very much further along in his development than Keisel.

I want Keisel back but it is a difficult decision because Heyward makes him completely expendable.

Heyward is the best player on the defensive line. (I love how people are calling him a bust already).
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote